Look its a baby duramax, can it be made fast?

carcrafter22

< Danger Ranger
Dec 22, 2006
Burleson,Tx
Hi everyone long time no see, I have been busy lately. I have been working on my little project truck and figured I would see what you guys thought about it and see if anyone knows if it can be made fast. I consider it a baby dmax and right now its only fast enough to beat the pants off of stock 06 5.9L and 08 6.7L dodges while getting 32.4 mpg:D

How it started out when I bought it

yuck its a gasser

2007 crown victoria front suspension mock up

Last edited:

carcrafter22

< Danger Ranger
Dec 22, 2006
Burleson,Tx
coated everything in por 15

Adapter to mate the isuzu diesel to the 700R4 trans

installing the rear axle with leaf springs for now, 4 link and air bags later on. everyting is coated in por 15 after this pic was taken

intercooler and radiator

2003 ford ranger fuel tank with custom made aluminum sending unit

The crown jewel 1990 isuzu 4bd1t 3.9L diesel with 2003 5.9L cummins HY35 turbo, injection pump maxed out, 2006 duramax air intake 3.5 straight piped exhaust, 95 excort 95 amp small case alternator, 2005 dodge 2500 diesel intercooler and radiator, 98 taurus dual electric fans with spal controller.

This pic is about 2 months old so things are much cleaner now

carcrafter22

< Danger Ranger
Dec 22, 2006
Burleson,Tx
electric fan setup I made the shroud from 1/8" aluminum

part of the 3.5"mandrel bent exhaust I welded up.

2003 chevy 2500 express van hydroboost and master cylinder

Started on the interior

This is the temporary instrument panel the final version willl be carved from a block of aluminum, I also installed the other 2 gauges after this pic when I finally got them. They are water,oil,volts,fuel level,speedo,tach,boost, pyro.

what it will look like

Here is how it looked a couple months ago. Currently it no longer has the tool box or the bumper, it DOES have a hood on it now though. The wheels are stock 2007 dodge magnum 18" wheels and the truck has been lowered about 5" from stock and the rear sits about 1/2" higher than the front.

carcrafter22

< Danger Ranger
Dec 22, 2006
Burleson,Tx
Thanks guys, Simon how have you been?

Here are a couple videos of it running.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pJ88ViL7h6A
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZdxJyY4dVHc

I got decided on the turbos I am going to use for the twins setup today, and the new injectors are on their way to extrude hone to be opened up 30%. I think the nitrous kit may be coming off the duramax and onto the ford. Lets see if I can hit low 12's and keep 32mpg's.

Last edited:

carcrafter22

< Danger Ranger
Dec 22, 2006
Burleson,Tx
Yes all stock for now, I was setup to get it dyno'd but the shop was busy all day with another vehicle and I had to go out of town on buisness the next morning so here I sit 550 miles from home till the end of next month or so.

I have been using my time lately choosing the secondary turbo for the twins I will be building for it. I will keep my HY35 turbo for the manifold charger and probably us an HX52 for the second charger. I plan on 300rwhp at first and after some pump mods somewhere around 400rwhp. I am waiting on an extra set of stock injectors to get to my local fuel shop back home where they will inspect them and tear em down to have the tips sent off to extrude hone to be opened up.

The motor was rebuilt about 40k miles ago but I would like to beef it up later on. I am going to try and find the limits of the stock motor since I have never heard of anyone doing more than adding a sligtly bigger turbo and turning the fuel up slightly. I am doing considerably more so I will see how it goes. I am kinda worried about the block itself since this motor uses lineers instead of a regular style block, i hope I dont start cracking them:eek:

blitzin247

That didn't sound good...
Feb 9, 2013
Everywhere
Im bringing this thread back up from the dead.

Any updates on this. Ive got this itch to throw a 3.9 into an awd astro...:roflmao:

DAVe3283

Heavy & Slow
Sep 3, 2009
Boise, ID, USA
Holy necropost batman! :eek: 7 years is a long ways back :spit:

From carcrafter22's profile: "Last Activity: 12-04-2014 07:47 PM"
So it looks like he still goes on here, but not that often. Maybe you'll get your answer, but I wouldn't hold your breath.

If you do decide to put a 3.8 into an Astro, be sure to make a build thread. :thumb: