loading tune problem

kman2468

Old Man Truck
May 3, 2009
ok so i have a question now
if it is my radio and it is drawing power from the ECM so the ecm cant connect
will my DSP switch work seeing as that draws voltage doesnt it? will the radio take away that power?

1chevy02

Jun 23, 2009
I would think with it running you would have plenty of power to operate the dsp. Unless I'm misunderstanding you're question.

kman2468

Old Man Truck
May 3, 2009
no that is what im saying when it is on the run postition some people were thinking the radio was taking power from the ECM so im goign to unplug it tommorow put my factory one back in see if it works if it will then i will load tune, plug my aftermarket one back in and then hook up my dsp when i have time
and another question..
when i want to load my DSP tune do i ONLY do a full flash? or do i have to do Full flash and then regular flash?

Last edited:

1chevy02

Jun 23, 2009
Have you tries unhooking the battery for a good 10-15 minutes? I know it sound wild but sometimes it works.

That depends on how your tuner set it up. I always use the biggest tune as the base just because its easier for me. It will run the base tune without the switch installed.

kman2468

Old Man Truck
May 3, 2009
ok well rob did my tunining and my number one tune is econ so im guessing that is my base tune?
when i want to load my DSP tune do i ONLY do a full flash? or do i have to do Full flash and then regular flash?

kman2468

Old Man Truck
May 3, 2009
no i havent tried unhooking batteries
because ive had BAD experiences with electric stuff..i tend to stay away from it lol

1chevy02

Jun 23, 2009
You only have to do a full flash to initially load the dsp5. When you say #1 tune do you mean #1 in the efi live custom calibrations? The tune that you will be running will be the one under engine calibration. Is this on your lly? Because if it is you can switch the tunes with your v2:D

kman2468

Old Man Truck
May 3, 2009
yes it is on my LLY
but someone told me once i initially lod the tunes then i have to do a regular flash? or is that only when i adjust the tunes? no by number one i mean under engine calibration!

1chevy02

Jun 23, 2009
The regular flash is only if you change something in the tune later on. The engine calibration tune is what it will run without a switch. If you change table A0146 to serial data then go into your v2 and select the lly pids then you can switch tunes without installing a switch. I ran mine like this for about a year cuz I was to lazy to install the switch:rofl: Works great

McRat

Diesel Hotrodder
Aug 2, 2006
Norco CA
www.mcratracing.com
You need to do a full flash with DSP5, if you make changes to the "child" tunes. Found that out the hard way. :D

The reason the stereo must be disconnected is not because of power draw. It's to stop it from trying to "talk" to other computers if I understand right.

I pulled just the main power fuse for a customer's stereo, and it still would not communicate. Unplug the whole thing. It doesn't affect many trucks, but if you get one of those it does, it's a royal PITA.

kman2468

Old Man Truck
May 3, 2009
You need to do a full flash with DSP5, if you make changes to the "child" tunes. Found that out the hard way. :D

The reason the stereo must be disconnected is not because of power draw. It's to stop it from trying to "talk" to other computers if I understand right.

I pulled just the main power fuse for a customer's stereo, and it still would not communicate. Unplug the whole thing. It doesn't affect many trucks, but if you get one of those it does, it's a royal PITA.

so your saying full flash, and if i make changes then do the regular flash?
i pulled the fuse and it didnt work so i guess unplugging it u had success did u plug stock one back in? or did u just unplug the aftermarket one?
and yes it is a royal PITA

kman2468

Old Man Truck
May 3, 2009
The regular flash is only if you change something in the tune later on. The engine calibration tune is what it will run without a switch. If you change table A0146 to serial data then go into your v2 and select the lly pids then you can switch tunes without installing a switch. I ran mine like this for about a year cuz I was to lazy to install the switch:rofl: Works great

hahaha yes beech told me about how to do it
im so lazy to install the switch but its finally getting warm out up here so i might do it now!

MMLMM

Tunergeek
Mar 2, 2008
Reno, NV
www.dyncal.com
it worked!! unplugging the radio worked!! thanks so much guys!!!

Lol, I wondered if that would be better than the fuse. Did you tap in for power or acc into something else?

2 things..
At least with DSP you wont be flashing often
and if you do you can see if its a power or acc wire causing the issues and wire in a switch so you dont have to un plug it all the time.

kman2468

Old Man Truck
May 3, 2009
i didnt tap into anythign really..all i did was use the normal radio plug in