LMM or LML

Lmmduramax94

Nov 6, 2016
looking to buy a duramax here in the next month or two.
At first i was planning on getting and lmm because i have a couple buddies that have them and know quite a bit more about them then the LMLs.

But recently ive seen quite a bit of LML pop up in my price range, and if i can get a newer truck for around the same price why not?

What is the price difference in fully deleting both? Which should i get?
My plan for the lmm was fully deleted, ds5p, small lift and 35s.
Id like to do the same to the lml or somewhere around that, and i know LMLs cant be tuned and have the ds5p. So what is the best alternative?
Ill be using the truck to pull a utility trailer for construction and a boat / jetskis on the weekend

Last edited:

kiwilml

Nov 4, 2015
Actually lml's can be tuned with EZ Lynk and can put in the five position switch now.. Look it up, sounds like the way to go.

And no i don't think it would be any cheaper deleting a lmm so I would definitely recommend the lml. It's a better truck in my opinion.

Digmax

Jan 23, 2016
Lml trans will hold better than lmm... also frame and front suspension is good bit better

Hoffie

Mar 10, 2015
Far East LA - aka Phoenix
Install a lift pump and it will help with the longevity of the CP4. My LML has 509k miles on the stock engine and transmission.
Full delete of the DPF and DEF with new exhaust and block off the EGR.

WVRigrat05

Wound for sound
Jan 1, 2011
French Creek, West Virginia
Only bitch I have about the older trucks, is the front suspension sucks, and you'll have to add rear leafs if you tow a lot, I have air bags, and prefer the added springs like I had on my old truck. And the power steering needs a cooler.

Cp4 is the only downfall to the new ones I can see.

kiwilml

Nov 4, 2015
Besides DEF, the huge ass ugly def tank, all the poor def messages, unstable tcm's and tuning challenges yes the cp4 is the only OTHER problem :hug:
Well if he gets a 13 or 14 he more than likely won't have the tcm problem and if he deletes than def problem won't be an issue anyway.. The tank is just an appearance dill, who cares about that right? Lol

And yeah cp4 is only thing I would possibly worry about, but if would run a lift pump from beginning and always get fuel at a known good dependable place that shouldn't be a problem either.. And honestly a cp3 conversion down the road isn't that bad of an expense if you are able to do it yourself anyway....

Oh and the tuning I wouldn't worry about either, I've never had an issue and with this new tuning out I bet it'll be even better..

elliottw

Jan 23, 2013
ND
Maybe wait a little longer than a couple months and when the L5P is stocked up good in your areas dealer inventory you could get a nice 15 or 16 LML for a good price? Just a thought. I do prefer 01-10 though, hate working on LMLs but 99% of my work on them is bone stock pickups, I'm sure I wouldn't hate changing a full fuel system on an LML if it had all the egr system missing in advance..

Ne-max

I like turtles
Nov 15, 2011
Lincoln, Ne
I personally think a deletes LMM is the most reliable motor. I dont have many come through the shop that have issues compared to all the others.

I also see cp4 failures with trucks that have lift pumps.

Lmmduramax94

Nov 6, 2016
If I get an lml it most likely will be an earlier version. Like an 11 or 12. I'm shelling out around 30k for one.
Sounds like I should get the lml then. Wasn't aware of the better transmission and suspension.
Wvrigrat mentioned the power steering needing a cooler? Anyone else have .02 on this

WVRigrat05

Wound for sound
Jan 1, 2011
French Creek, West Virginia
Only if you're working it hard or running larger tires. My LLY was fine even on 35's until I started towing in the hills of WV, the heat killed them. I put a 40 dollar cooler on and problem solved.

Blackmax123

Aug 2, 2014
central Pennsylvania
I absolutely love my lml compared to my lmm, but that might be due to the fact I can actually drive my lml. I dunno but if I had to sell one, the lmm would be going before my stock lml.

S Phinney

Aug 15, 2008
Quncy, Fl
The LML has a better frame , steering ,braking , rides better and the emissions can go away as well as changing the cp4 out for the cp3.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mike L.

Got Sheep?
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Aug 12, 2006
Fullerton CA
So what exactly is wrong with that?

Something technical like it's the convertor that is stronger and not the transmission or what?

Have you looked inside one? The trans was put together for less drag and more mileage. I tested the .071 clutches in the early model Allisons and they failed. The newer BW lining is garbage compared to early models.
I've posted this many times. I tested this over 6 years ago. I am not talking out of my ass.;)

kiwilml

Nov 4, 2015
Have you looked inside one? The trans was put together for less drag and more mileage. I tested the .071 clutches in the early model Allisons and they failed. The newer BW lining is garbage compared to early models.
I've posted this many times. I tested this over 6 years ago. I am not talking out of my ass.;)
No I have never looked in one and I wouldn't have a clue what I was looking at if I did lol. And I know you know what your talking about, I've seen all your posts over the last two years on here..

Is the convertor stronger than previous years or why do the lml's seem to hold more power? Or do me and my brother both have freaky one of a kind stronger transmissions in our lml's?

We've had LLY and LBZ and they both slipped on us back in the day.

I'm not trying to start anything, I'm just curious. I'll be first to say I don't know half as much as most of the people on here.

Mike L.

Got Sheep?
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Aug 12, 2006
Fullerton CA
The LML's don't hold more power; they limp less because the TCM pulls back much more power than it used to. I have seen many LML's come into my shop with destroyed clutches and never limped because the TCM can pull a lot of power out of the system.