LMM oil life percentage on dash

Redhead45

Seabee1
Oct 5, 2016
Hey everyone I'm new to the forum but have had my truck for about 3 years now. I tried searching but don't know what to put in for search so it'll probably get moved to somewhere else. So I have an issue, I changed my oil at 145,600 miles. I now have like 146,xxx not even 1000 miles since last change. I reset the dash to say 100% but now the percentage is at like 20 something %. I do it myself too. Any help or thought would be appreciated thanks. It's an 08 LMM so don't know if my signature of the truck will be shown.

NC-smokinlmm

<<<Future tuna killer
May 29, 2011
At Da Beach
Must have gone thru a few regens on this oil cycle early. I used to only get 1500 or so miles on my LMM if I was hard on it towing boats around town with no highway driving. Every regen eats up about 17% of your oil life so if you got caught in a regen for a few trips without successful burn off your going to use up a bunch of your oil life. Might want to force regen it and start over with fresh oil...

Redhead45

Seabee1
Oct 5, 2016
My truck is fully deleted so I don't know how it regens. And it's my daily driver and I don't tow or haul anything. First time this has happened

Big Chris

2 Duramaxes> 1 Duramax
Mar 30, 2010
Rives Junction MI
Mine will do the same thing. Not towing it will drop to 0% within 1500-2000 miles. It doesn't bother me because I never go by the monitor on either truck. Kind of annoying though.

clrussell

pro-procrastinator
Sep 23, 2013
My truck is fully deleted so I don't know how it regens. And it's my daily driver and I don't tow or haul anything. First time this has happened

How long has it been deleted? I think there's a setting in the tune that can cause this

Redhead45

Seabee1
Oct 5, 2016
How long has it been deleted? I think there's a setting in the tune that can cause this

It's been deleted for like 2 and a half years. This is the first time this has happened since owning my truck cuz I always go off the dash cuz it's been accurate like going 3-5000 miles hence why I am wondering what's wrong.

clrussell

pro-procrastinator
Sep 23, 2013
It's been deleted for like 2 and a half years. This is the first time this has happened since owning my truck cuz I always go off the dash cuz it's been accurate like going 3-5000 miles hence why I am wondering what's wrong.

Gotcha just checking. I've not had one do that so I don't know what to tell ya.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Redhead45

Seabee1
Oct 5, 2016
Gotcha just checking. I've not had one do that so I don't know what to tell ya.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's cool man. I recently blew out the O ring on the y bridge few weeks back so I got that high hissing sound when accelerating. So idk if that boost leak has any affect cuz my egts are high cuz of it so maybe that's why the percentage is dropping. I'm replacing it this weekend so hopefully that hissing disappears and the percentage is good and doesn't deplete faster haha

Dan1969

Dec 24, 2012
OP did you find a solution for this or just let it be? I'm having the exact same issue. I only drive the truck when towing a small camper and I started noticing it's burning oil now, maybe it did it before but it seems more pronounced now. I burn around 2 quarts every 4k miles. I also get the "change oil" alert thing every 3 months regarldless of usage, and that started happening around the time yours started (2016). Mine is a 2008 LMM with 148k miles now, and EFI live, DSP5, EGR blocked and DPF delete. At cold idle I see some smoke coming out, again, maybe I never paid attention.

D_R_C

Retired
Oct 31, 2011
Rocky Top, USA
Did this start after you went EFI ?
Who is your tuner, I know of 2 EFI tuners with my own personal experience that the oil life would go from 100% - 0% in about 1000 miles.
About 9 miles for every 1%, instead of the norm about 80-90 miles for 1%.

Dan1969

Dec 24, 2012
EFI live is through motor ops. Has been on the truck since 2014. Have put about 20k miles (32k km) on the tune. It's not the tune, it's something mechanical, a dirty sensor, a decay in programming, or even the comfort computer independently doing it since the truck reached over 120k miles and the GM life expectancy for these trucks is around there. I was just looking for common solution as if I do the troubleshooting it'll be found, but it's not of utmost importance. I am expecting something to happen at anytime with it and it'll be ok. So back to the OP, any solutions? or still same issue?

D_R_C

Retired
Oct 31, 2011
Rocky Top, USA
Where do you get that the life expectancy of these GM diesel trucks is around 120K :confused:

Now back to my point, with Dmax tuner and Motor OPS which is kinda a sister company to Dmax tuner, these 2 I’ve had oil life dropping fast issues.
With ATP I don’t have this issue, just trying to help a few with this concern where this could be the reason.

NC-smokinlmm

<<<Future tuna killer
May 29, 2011
At Da Beach
EFI live is through motor ops. Has been on the truck since 2014. Have put about 20k miles (32k km) on the tune. It's not the tune, it's something mechanical, a dirty sensor, a decay in programming, or even the comfort computer independently doing it since the truck reached over 120k miles and the GM life expectancy for these trucks is around there. I was just looking for common solution as if I do the troubleshooting it'll be found, but it's not of utmost importance. I am expecting something to happen at anytime with it and it'll be ok. So back to the OP, any solutions? or still same issue?

120k? Seriously? Lol. You have the classic symptoms of collapsing fuel lines. Google it...

THEFERMANATOR

LEGALLY INSANE
Feb 16, 2009
ZEPHYRHILLS, FL
It's a tune issue. It happens when you delete them. I've done about a dozen all with the same tune, but 1 of them does this while none of the rest do it. The 1 thing I did notice was the truck that did this still had the emission sensors in place, just zip tied up while all the others had everything removed. I stopped doing delete tunes after the edge debacle, so I never really dug into it. I do know you can set the oil life to however many miles you want, but the lmm ecm still uses an internal algorythim based off of fuel used and regens to determine oil life. My theory was even though the regens were disablef, whenever certain parameters met the requirements, the oil life system would see it and rapidly count down even though it wasn't actually in regen.

NC-smokinlmm

<<<Future tuna killer
May 29, 2011
At Da Beach
It's a tune issue. It happens when you delete them. I've done about a dozen all with the same tune, but 1 of them does this while none of the rest do it. The 1 thing I did notice was the truck that did this still had the emission sensors in place, just zip tied up while all the others had everything removed. I stopped doing delete tunes after the edge debacle, so I never really dug into it. I do know you can set the oil life to however many miles you want, but the lmm ecm still uses an internal algorythim based off of fuel used and regens to determine oil life. My theory was even though the regens were disablef, whenever certain parameters met the requirements, the oil life system would see it and rapidly count down even though it wasn't actually in regen.

It also will go to zero if the fuel lines collapse and restrict flow. Mine did this, I ran new fuel lines from tank to filter head and it never happened again. In fact I think the filter life never went back to zero, I just changed it bc I knew it was time...

2004LB7

Dec 15, 2010
Norcal
The fuel filter will drop to zero with a restriction in the fuel line but the oil filter life should remain unaffected

NC-smokinlmm

<<<Future tuna killer
May 29, 2011
At Da Beach
Hahaha... I'm a ****ing retard this week for some reason...:roflmao: I swear I was reading oil life and still went off course...:rofl:

Dan1969

Dec 24, 2012
That's what I expected on the tune. Guess it'll just have to be reset everytime I get an alert. On the plus side I'm not burning oil, I just didn't put enough last oil change -_-. Filled it up and no problem. The life expectancy from GM. The companies want you to buy new so they won't back their product past their life expectancy as too many issues start happening then. It's not written, but as most of us tinkerers of things can attest the longer we own something the more it breaks. Speaking of fuel, I have to get around to install my lift pump. Thanks for the input DRC, you'd make a good ATP salesman.

D_R_C

Retired
Oct 31, 2011
Rocky Top, USA
#1 EFI tuner lowest power max boost 27-28 oil life issue :(, #2 EFI tuner low power max boost 28-29 oil life issue :(, #3 EFI tuner ATP good power max boost 31-32 NO oil life issues. :woott: mileage about the same with all 3, but I preferred more power and NO oil life issues.
Going with ATP is a no brainer.
Quadzilla Stealth II was my first Dmax tuner 2008, I was happy with it, but was interested in having the TurboBrake. First EFI was 3/2012.