LMM motor into older truck? (LBZ, etc)

Osubeaver

Professional Grade
Aug 30, 2008
Oregon
I bought an LMM motor from St. Josephs diesel with plans to do a simple build and swap it into my truck add 2x cp3s, and call it a day.

Now that I have thought about it, and talked to others, I might want to build it then put it in something lighter and not lifted.

Ideally a std cab or ext cab. The supply of NBS trucks is limited on the used market and they are $$$.

What would I need to replace on an lbz or older duramax truck? Wiring harness, gauge cluster?

I know this is kind of a backwards way to build this, but I'd appreciate any help.:D

Last edited:

LBZrcks

Jun 2, 2007
SoCal
I bought an LMM motor from St. Josephs diesel with plans to do a simple build and swap it into my truck add 2x cp3s, and call it a day.

Now that I have thought about it, and talked to others, I might want to build it then put it in something lighter and not lifted.

Ideally a std cab or ext cab. The supply of NBS trucks is limited on the used market and they are $$$.

What would I need to replace on an lbz or older duramax truck? Wiring harness, gauge cluster?

I know this is kind of a backwards way to build this, but I'd appreciate any help.:D

Finding an LBZ truck would be the easiest. Change out the injectors, wiring harness off the donor/original motor and part of the intake, also the egr cooler which you would probably ditch

TrentNell

Finally underway !!!!!
Jul 7, 2008
slc tuah
older truck is more complicated , not an expert on the subject but for sure alot of items need to be swapped , ecm / main vehicle harness, tcm (6speed) , valvebody in trans to a 6speed, gadge cluster , radio(maybe) , bcm (maybe) , hvac modual (maybe ). i would think it would be alot cheaper to keep the short block from your lmm built it to work in a lb7 , i think all you have to change is the crank and cam reluctor wheels then part out your engine and re-use / rebuild the parts off the lb7 ( or what ever year you end up with) , or eaven easier is sell your lmm motor and find na motor for whatever year you end up with . just some things to think about like i said i'm no expert .

Last edited:

Osubeaver

Professional Grade
Aug 30, 2008
Oregon
Thanks for that.

If the swap is a major pain with finding harnesses, etc. etc. etc, plan B is to buy another truck and just pull the motor that's in it and build it.

Either way I want to start with a complete motor and tear it down, then put it together for a project.

I'd like to learn, and not be such a:dr:

Right now, I can do simple things on the motor and press the go pedal to the floor (good at that) :)

jrad12381

May 12, 2008
Reno, NV
Put the build in your truck. There is nothing like a fast lifted truck. If you build the motor, and have the fuel, and have nathan mod your turbo,turbos. I bet you can be mid 11's in the quarter.

Osubeaver

Professional Grade
Aug 30, 2008
Oregon
Put the build in your truck. There is nothing like a fast lifted truck. If you build the motor, and have the fuel, and have nathan mod your turbo,turbos. I bet you can be mid 11's in the quarter.

Aka roll bar territory :rofl:

Also what's the crankshaft height with a 4" lift? I think NHRA says no running under 12.0 if over 31" IIRC.

Cougar281

Sep 11, 2006
St Louis, MO
In theory, to swap a LBZ into a 2003+ truck, you should just need all the harnesses under the hood, 4th gen VB, ECM & TCM. Using a LMM ECM/TCM would be harder as they no longer use Class2.