Lmm block heater poping breaker

Dmaxmaniac

2008 LMM lucifer
Sep 2, 2015
MichiGan
So, not sure what's going on. Truck is a 08 lmm truck has been in Texas and Oklahoma it's whole life until I purchased and brought to Michigan. It was 30° the other day so I've tried block heater. First couple times ok well last 2 days plug in and no change in heat on truck gauge like other times. Well I go down to the breaker and see that it was tripped. So I plugged in other outlet re-set breaker and went upstairs. Plug in tonight an am down stairs doing laundry and it pops after a hour. Is it the cord or the whole block heater and cord? I tried taking a ohm meter and seeing if circuit would OL or check 0.0 but my meter was shit. Thanks for the help

Hot COCOAL

May the farce be with you
Jun 9, 2012
Something else is on that circuit and between whatever "that" is and the block heater, you're pulling more than 20amps...probably only happens when the heater turns on and spike the current load...

I'd check the cord all the way into the block, and the ground tho...

We had a circuit in our last house that was like that...the living room lights, stairwell lights, downstairs outlets and porch light were all on one circuit...if the vacume was running, the TV was on and all the lights were on, it would run but occasionally trip the breaker out of the Blue. If the porch light gotnswitched on it'd pop the breaker...when I plugged the truck in on that circuit, the breaker would pop randomly, if too many other things were in use, like when the heater turned on...

Last edited:

Dmaxmaniac

2008 LMM lucifer
Sep 2, 2015
MichiGan
It's a four station plug in 1 bank has a 20 amp breaker other bank has 20 amp breaker. they both pop if you plug in. Its funny I bet the heater and cord are bad and they have never been used besides me maybe 4 times. Lol my luck gentle men. I'm having my pops order one from acdelco todayb re-place it regardless. Hope to find its something easy but probably just switch whole dang thing. Doing egr delete so won't be messy when replacing

Hot COCOAL

Jun 9, 2012
Dude..I want a 20A double gang double breaker outlet...I'm jealous
Well, that would kinda point to the heater cord then, wouldn't it...lol
Let us know what you find :D

Dmaxmaniac

2008 LMM lucifer
Sep 2, 2015
MichiGan
Well called acdelco no replacement WA WA WA. Got one off the InterWeb should be here next week. I'll let yall know what went on and how's I fixed it. Thanks for your replys I like this forum people actually give good advice that helps.

Dmaxmaniac

2008 LMM lucifer
Sep 2, 2015
MichiGan
Good thing didn't burn down truck. I ordered the replacement block heater for 50 bucks. Will put in next week keep everyone posted. Hopefully plug comes out easy. Looks straight forward but if any tips I appreciate it. Thanks

Dmaxmaniac

2008 LMM lucifer
Sep 2, 2015
MichiGan
cool I was hoping it will come out of block pretty easy. Just did fleece lines pita but worth it full filter service as well everything looked good.

Hot COCOAL

Jun 9, 2012
Holy loose connections batman!
That'll do it!
Damn bro, I've never seen that before...lol

You said the block heater is bad? Or was it just the cord? I'd want to know the "why" for that happening....

Dmaxmaniac

2008 LMM lucifer
Sep 2, 2015
MichiGan
Holy loose connections batman!
That'll do it!
Damn bro, I've never seen that before...lol

You said the block heater is bad? Or was it just the cord? I'd want to know the "why" for that happening....
When I got into it this morning it had to be loose connection the pin where the plug plugs into heater is gone so I have to get a new heater regardless. I'm sure it's like you said not plugged in all the way looked like corrosion around it. I'm not sure

1QUICKZ28

Feb 7, 2014
This is what can happen when the block heater shorts out. My breaker tripped but guess it was too late. 05 LLY. I don't wish a fire on anybody. Was a nightmare!! Good call on replacing everything.
5830e856786304a18d3fe5ad8298f5fb.jpg
bc6f929655ebc69e5da98ef93f63b164.jpg
53c24440ef34f13acda9aeca3582d928.jpg
b852905ae65bfe397b7c088cd6d6dac4.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk