LML vs L5P

OregonDMAX

NOT IN OREGON, NO DURAMAX
Apr 28, 2013
Goodyear, AZ
Looking for first hand experience from guys that have had both the LML and L5P and what they think or guys that have or have had an L5P.

My dad is possibly looking to upsize. Truck will stay bone stock and will only be used to tow a 5th wheel and city driving in Phoenix, AZ and Oregon.

Looking for the pros and cons of LML and L5P. The LML will most likely be 15/16 and the L5P will not be brand new either.

I understand the issues with emissions and the LML cp4 but I don't know much about the l5p. What are your suggestions.

rmallen30

Aug 12, 2009
hillsboro ohio
I put about 15k miles on the l5p last year about 14k was either hooked to a multi car hauler gooseneck or a single car trailer , hands down one of the best trucks I have ever owned, it does everything very well, plenty of power, good mpg, etc compared to a deleted lml with only a tow tune I do prefer the l5p except for the def consumption which believe it or not went Down some after the banks derringer tuner, both great trucks but I honestly like the l5p better , I have had a few sensors go out , and did last month have the radiator
Replaced do to a bad weld but other than those it’s been great., now when you get into a more modified version of the lml that’s a different story.

IdahoRob

Jun 5, 2007
Stock for stock there is no comparison, the LP5 hands down. The stock LMLs suck in the throttle response department, i wouldn't even drive my new LML until i fixed it with tuning. If the LML is staying stock, the LP5 is a much better truck IMO. I have 16k on my 2018 and has not been to the dealer once, great truck.

Hambone

Always learning
Jan 24, 2016
Florida
If your keeping it stock Definitely go L5p
If your deleting go L5p :D

It’s the best truck I’ve ever driven!
I am currently trying to get the rear main seal leak fixed under warranty but it’s not a terrible leak just shouldn’t be leaking at all lol
We have 3 in the fleet and all are running strong and flawless besides the seal
I’m 99% sure it’s because on cold starts and 120psi oil is hard to contain

M.A.M.

Jan 9, 2016
Ohio
Just turned over 200k on the one L5P, and 150k on the other one. The one with 200k got a few injectors, egr pipe (cracked bellows), 1 NOX sensor, 3 glow plugs, tensioner pulley, that’s it. I’ve got feeling my DPF is getting plugged, but hey, I hear there’s a fix out for that too!

Truck with 150k got absolutely nothing other than oil, fuel, filters. That’s it, absolutely no issues out of it. They both pulled gooseneck for 99% of their miles.

I’ve cracked enough pistons and broke a crank in my LML, I’m about over them. Never got lucky enough to hit the CP4 jackpot, so there’s that.

With the Denso fuel system, and beefed up internals, I’m all for the L5P. Hood scoop does wonders for IATs. They stay within 5* when you’re moving, LML was way higher. All that extra torque does so much better towing than the LML did, even tho it was no slouch.

I’ve still got to see any epic failures on the L5P because of being over-worked, so my money is on it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

custom8726

Feb 25, 2008
Upstate N.Y
I Recently Got rid of my Deleted/Tuned 12 LML Denali for a 19 L5P Denali..
Honestly kind of miss my LML..:baby:

That said, The L5P is a really nice truck in stock form, I was having second thoughts and actually went and test drove a Ford F-350 Platinum yesterday, Surprisingly (to myself)I appreciate the L5P even more after driving what Ford had to comparably offer, Nice truck but overall I felt way more comfortable in the new GM and decided to keep it (For Now)..

Stock VS stock L5p 100% But Tuned LML VS L5p I'm not sure I would trade "UP" over again.

Bonestock

Aug 9, 2010
Worland Wy
I have 3 buddies here running into emissions issues often on the L5P. 2 live in town and 1 over the mountain. The last report I got was from a close friend that was in Az with a trailer. They are gonna trade the truck off when they got home. 18,000 miles and lived in the shop.

snowman22

Jan 30, 2018
SoCal
I have some seat time in an L5P and only bought the LML because of tuning availability. If you were to keep it stock, the LML might as well feel like a 12v cummins in comparison. I was scared to death to ever pull out and pass on a two lane road when my LML was stock. My buddy has an L5P and also swears by the Banks derringer which is easy enough, but no experience here with that setup.

The guys I know with them haven't put enough miles on to give any feedback on emissions longevity/issues.

Last edited:

NC-smokinlmm

<<<Future tuna killer
May 29, 2011
At Da Beach
If staying stock go l5p, if tuning is ever considered in future buy LML. Parts and knowledge are everywhere for LML and proven combinations abound...

Plus, I see 15 and 16 LML holding value like lbz.

gmc502

Jan 16, 2011
Plus, I see 15 and 16 LML holding value like lbz.

I know,,Thinking about seeing what the dealer will give me for my truck.my only complaint is the throttle response,it sucks.I hope the banks tuner will fix that.
my friends L5P rips pretty good,no lag at all.

GMC_2002_Dmax

The Still Master
I owned a tuned/built trans/deleted 2012 LML, and owned a bone stock 2016 LML and now drive a 2019 L5p with a banks Derringer.

Hands down stock the L5P, tuned LML's are great, cheap to tune, lots of parts available, but with L5P being tunable now, I would buy a L5P and wait out the high cost to tune it while driving a new/fully warrantied truck.

As someone who has tuned a ton of stuff like Rob has, hands down the L5P is a tough package to beat, even stock

OregonDMAX

NOT IN OREGON, NO DURAMAX
Apr 28, 2013
Goodyear, AZ
Thanks for all of the responses, I had already figured the 5p was the way to go this just helpse convince him to spend a little more the get a better trouble free truck.

Josh154

Sep 28, 2015
Sioux Falls SD
I was in the same boat.. tuning wasn’t available for l5p yet, I bought my 16 lml and shit you not 2 weeks later they announced tuning for l5p lol. I am dam happy with my tuned lml though. Stock was a turd, it was only stock for 4 days :roflmao: