LML Trans options to handle more power?

ChargedTTq

Double D
Jun 18, 2014
MN
Hey guys, been following duramaxes since I was in high school, and my understanding has always been that you really should fully build up an Allison (minus billet internals) to go past the 550hp mark, for a cost of $5-6k

Just wondering if its the same with a 2012 LML trans, or if I can make it hold ~600-650rwhp with only a few select modifications for only $2-3k. I know a converter is pretty much required no matter what... Could Kory Willis write Low TQ tunes that would be easier on the trans but still ramp up to the higher numbers?

Its not very comfortable dropping $6k on a single mod (and only for durability at that) when you've spent $36k on the truck lol.

Also, I keep hearing people asking about custom trans tuning for the Allison. Will it ever happen? and would it even make a difference??

pizza pig

I Like to Party
Feb 13, 2012
CT
Freshman year in college are we now?

Build it, and be done. You spent 36k on the truck, plan to make power, but want to cheap out on the trans... I don't advise that. Over build it for the level that you want to be at and never have to worry about it. Attend parties for 5$ all you can drink from a keg and put the remaining pennies in the bank to pay for the trans to be done right. Nothing good comes from half assing anything on these trucks, especially one that cost your 36k.

But thats just my opinion. I speak from experience, do it right or you'll be doing it twice. :thumb:

The newer transmissions are much better than they used to be, but again in my opinion there is a lot left to be desired. :angel:

ChargedTTq

Double D
Jun 18, 2014
MN
Freshman year in college are we now?

Build it, and be done. You spent 36k on the truck, plan to make power, but want to cheap out on the trans... I don't advise that. Over build it for the level that you want to be at and never have to worry about it. Attend parties for 5$ all you can drink from a keg and put the remaining pennies in the bank to pay for the trans to be done right. Nothing good comes from half assing anything on these trucks, especially one that cost your 36k.

But thats just my opinion. I speak from experience, do it right or you'll be doing it twice. :thumb:

The newer transmissions are much better than they used to be, but again in my opinion there is a lot left to be desired. :angel:

Actually no, I'm 26...

Yeah I've always had the same sentiment of build it right the first time. But that much money buys a lot of other toys.

If I have to invest the full $6k to hold that much power than I'll just leave it stock with a tune. And there's nothing wrong with that I'll just have to be wary of 6.4s Lol.

TheBac

Why do I keep doing this?
Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
So you'd rather spend $7-9K total b/c you had to build it twice? Economically speaking, that makes no sense.
Not to mention the fact that no matter what power goal you set, you will always want to go past it.....

Jan 28, 2015
Ohio
You can get a suncoast kit installed for 3900$ if u pull the trans and put it back in. Ppe kits are also cheap and to r and r the trans isn't to bad just time consuming.

duratothemax

<--- slippery roads
Aug 28, 2006
Wyoming
We sell a line pressure control box that will allow you to increase the pressure in the trans on-demand based on throttle position. That way you can have the advantage of lower line pressure during cruise (lower trans temps, increased fuel economy)...but as soon as you go above a certain throttle %, the box will command max line pressure to the trans.

Its not a substitute for a built trans, but it will help out a stock trans a fair amount.

duramaxzak

Wanna be puller!
Nov 22, 2008
Minnesota
I have a 11' LML that's deleted with my big tune around 500hp and a stock allison. The tranny gets pretty lazy on the big tune. If your going to drive it hard on bigger tunes, you will definitely destroy a stock allison. I see your in MN, if your looking for a local builder give Josh at Jags Pro truck in Zimmerman, Mn a call.

http://jagsprotruckshop.com/

ChargedTTq

Double D
Jun 18, 2014
MN
So it looks like even if I want to push the limits with just a converter and a line box, I'll need to plan on building it just in case no matter what. I can accept that.

I had heard of some auxiliary mods to the LML trans and I wasn't sure if that was a new key to holding more power!

If I had it built by anyone but myself I would just have Mike do it. Unless he personally recommended someone closer to me. There's too much BS and horror stories flying around from a lot of builders and he seems the most knowledgeable and reputable by far. It almost seems like he helped engineer the damn thing!

The price of a built engine is a huge hurdle to going over a certain power level, and I think that hurdle can keep a lid on my goals ha-ha.

Thanks everyone for responding!

The Dude

Sep 8, 2015
Just be honest with yourself. I was a little.... put off by the cost of a trans build too... but I want 600hp and I'll plug away until I'm there or higher in time. I'm just putting a couple hundred away per check so when the trans goes I am not freaking out and using a credit card. I bought a Duramax because of the longevity of the vehicle so with that in mind I'll eventually upgrade and replace most things.... but I won't have huge car paymenta with a new Corvette every two years... then headers, intake, shifter, cat back, cam.... etc

bluessmax

Tabasco Injected!
Nov 4, 2010
Lake Charles, la
As soon as EFILIVE has locking for the A50 controller, we will release our trans tunes that have raised line PSI based on load/rpm along with 2nd gear lockup... Hopefully sooner than later!

Bens line controller works really well too, but software will never substitute legit hard parts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mike L.

Got Sheep?
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Aug 12, 2006
Fullerton CA
The LML TCM pulls back big time horsepower when it sees slip. That's why you don't see too many limps. No substitute for more pressure and better clutches and converter to hold power.

$chultz38

Jan 22, 2009
As soon as EFILIVE has locking for the A50 controller, we will release our trans tunes that have raised line PSI based on load/rpm along with 2nd gear lockup... Hopefully sooner than later!

Bens line controller works really well too, but software will never substitute legit hard parts.

Any idea when your lml trans tuning will be available and what it's going to cost once it is?

Mike L.

Got Sheep?
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Aug 12, 2006
Fullerton CA

That will give you a 250 psi max line pressure as that's all the Trans is capable of making with stock spring.

ChargedTTq

Double D
Jun 18, 2014
MN
The LML TCM pulls back big time horsepower when it sees slip. That's why you don't see too many limps. No substitute for more pressure and better clutches and converter to hold power.

bluessmax said:

Wow, thanks you guys for responding to my thread. I actually just installed your tuning this week Kory.

Hey, a quick question for Mike, there's a GM bulliten or something out to fix a harsh 5-6 downshift on the lml (TCM programming) Unfortunately not covered by warranty so its $110...
What do you know about this and which TCM calibration would wear my trans out faster?

Last edited: