LML LML short block potential

Micheal Tomac

been pulling forever
Aug 12, 2008
MI
How much horsepower & torque will an LmL block & crank handle with aftermarket rods, pistons, main studs & AF cam?
On a fresh build is it worth upgrading to a Callie’s Durastar crank?

Last edited:

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
i would say 1400-1500hp with some reliability. beyond that, its a guess. filling the block and adding a girdle may up the reliability some.

the callies is a step above the lml crank due to material used BUT i would rather use a socal narrow rod journal crank or the callies billet narrow rod journal crank if you are going for hp well over 1000rwhp. the durastar crank doesnt address problem area, just made of better material. the ultra star or socal crank address the problem area.

S Phinney

Aug 15, 2008
Quncy, Fl
If I were looking for maximum hp I would step up to the Callie’s Billet or Sonny Bryant Billet crank and run a girdle with half fill in the block. They say reliability starts being stretchy in the 1400 plus hp. I’m sure that’s a hit and miss failure problem since lots of guys make more hp and are not using the aftermarket blocks in their builds.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ne-max

I like turtles
Nov 15, 2011
Lincoln, Ne
I put a Durastar crank in mine and regret it everyday. Wish I would have done another new lb7 crank. Over 1200hp I think the SoCal narrow journal crank is a must if you want it to last. Not a dyno 1200hp. But a true 1200.