LLY: Lly overheating

quinton

Nov 28, 2011
Granbury Tx.
So my lly started overheating recently. Built motor and the water pump is welded on both sides. I've replaced radiator, sensor, and cap. I pulled the water pump first and everything looked good on it. Not leaking coolant and no bubbles in over flow no collapsed hose or any sign of headgsskets. It overheats when it's at low rpms but higher rpms will bring it back down. I'm going to replace the water pump tomorrow since it's under warranty but I don't think that is it. any ideas?

Robby05

Jul 25, 2014
Spokane, WA
Radiator & coolers clean? How old are t-stat's?

* missed the part about the new radiator, assuming the coolers are clean

Awenta

Sep 28, 2014
CT
How's your fan clutch?

Sure the water pump isn't slipping?

Try running with no thermostats

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

quinton

Nov 28, 2011
Granbury Tx.
How's your fan clutch?

Sure the water pump isn't slipping?

Try running with no thermostats

Dang forgot that too. I replaced fan clutch everything has been replaced except water pump. The water pump is welded on both sides I pulled it the other day and checked it. Welds still good.

Awenta

Sep 28, 2014
CT
Dang forgot that too. I replaced fan clutch everything has been replaced except water pump. The water pump is welded on both sides I pulled it the other day and checked it. Welds still good.
I'd use a pinned water pump for a built motor.

Also when it's over heating check the temperature with an infrared thermometer at the thermostat housing. See if it's close and the sensor isn't just playing games with you.

What your temp getting to?

quinton

Nov 28, 2011
Granbury Tx.
I'd use a pinned water pump for a built motor.

Also when it's over heating check the temperature with an infrared thermometer at the thermostat housing. See if it's close and the sensor isn't just playing games with you.

What your temp getting to?

It's got a new sensor in it also. It's gotten all the way to 260 once. Only way too cool it off is to downshift and leave it at 3000rpm or so and that will bring it down to 210-230. It acts like its not flowing.

quinton

Nov 28, 2011
Granbury Tx.
Sounds like water pump issue

That's what I thought the very first day I pulled the water pump off. But I tried to turn the gear a propeller opposite of each other and couldn't. The welds had no cracks or anything so I put it back on. No wear on gear teeth or propeller either. It would be nice if its just the pump.

Awenta

Sep 28, 2014
CT
I think the pump is slipping. Welds can still look fine. Pin it

IOWA LLY

Yes, its really me
Feb 23, 2007
With everything you have replaced there's not much else it can be... I agree that the water pump is probably the culprit.

Only other thing I can think of is a major restriction in one of the coolant passages inside the engine. Is the block partially filled by chance?

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Awenta

Sep 28, 2014
CT
With everything you have replaced there's not much else it can be... I agree that the water pump is probably the culprit.

Only other thing I can think of is a major restriction in one of the coolant passages inside the engine. Is the block partially filled by chance?

I thought of that but wouldn't the higher rpm bring the temps up and not down if that were the case?

IOWA LLY

Yes, its really me
Feb 23, 2007
Yeah possibly. Only thing I thought was if it's a partial restriction perhaps the added rpm and pressure was enough to bypass the restriction. Typically high rpm, low load situations generate pretty low egts so I could see it helping.

Just tossing out ideas.

quinton

Nov 28, 2011
Granbury Tx.

No block isn't filled. That's the only other thing I was thinking. Is there a way to reverse flush the system? Water hose or something to see if anything comes out.

quinton

Nov 28, 2011
Granbury Tx.
Well y'all where correct. I feel dumb now after checking it and not seeing. Pinning it is the way too go appreciate it guys!!
1219e3fc521f94ce0f0cb6c85fa9ad1b.jpg

IOWA LLY

Yes, its really me
Feb 23, 2007
Danville pinned is the only way to go!

830king

Oct 24, 2013
Central MN
Hmm year and a half ago when I did my water pump I was told to get the welded not the pinned pump. O well if I have a overheating problem I'll know where to look...

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk