lly or lbz?

Love-horsepower

Jan 14, 2018
I have a motorhome that has a 01 lb7 and it dropped a valveseat and killed head and two pistons I dont want injector troubles what motor should I put in it lby lby ot lbz? What would I need to do for this? I'm a Cummins guy but have lots of diesel conversion experience but none with electronic injectors. I have made them work with all the electronics for trans and techs and sensors. Any advice would be very appreciated. Rod

Ne-max

I like turtles
Nov 15, 2011
Lincoln, Ne
Can't go wrong either way. I would prefer the lbz but would not be scared of the lly. Not having a ficm is nice.

Love-horsepower

Jan 14, 2018
Does anyone make a plug and play for the Lb7 to LBZ and who would I talk to? I need this as quick and easy as possible I live in Iowa and the motorhome is in Ohio at my father in law's I only get there couple times a year. Rod

Bdsankey

Vendor
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 1, 2018
Neenah, Wisconsin
Does anyone make a plug and play for the Lb7 to LBZ and who would I talk to? I need this as quick and easy as possible I live in Iowa and the motorhome is in Ohio at my father in law's I only get there couple times a year. Rod

Ben Tyler @ BT Diesel Works makes conversion kits ect. The problem with Ben is that he is very VERY hard to get ahold of most of the time. He is very busy and a one man show. His products, in my opinion, are fantastic but can be frustrating to get ahold of.

OregonDMAX

NOT IN OREGON, NO DURAMAX
Apr 28, 2013
Goodyear, AZ
Ben Tyler @ BT Diesel Works makes conversion kits ect. The problem with Ben is that he is very VERY hard to get ahold of most of the time. He is very busy and a one man show. His products, in my opinion, are fantastic but can be frustrating to get ahold of.

Ben's products, although nice, aren't worth the headache if you need any tech support. RPMMotorsports is the way to go for anything swap related.

rfletes79

Mar 5, 2010
Galt, Ca 95632
6 speed conversions (on a 5 speed ally) are not designed to work with an lbz…….. the internal harness and external nsbu (LB7/LLY type) associated with this conversion work with an AL5 tcm with custom programming from the company who make the kit.

LBZ's use different a internal harness, different nsbu, and a totally different tcm that is not compatible with the older lb7/lly ecm's.

rfletes79

Mar 5, 2010
Galt, Ca 95632
As far as a plug n play chassis harness, LB7-LLY, I have one that works on trucks, not sure what the difference is on a motorhome, if any. If interested I can ask my harness guy and see what the difference is and possible modify the existing 01/02 lly harness I have to fit your motorhome. But that would mean you would use an LLY in your conversion and not the LBZ.

lmk.

Rick

Love-horsepower

Jan 14, 2018
I haven't bought anything yet I can get the 6dpeed for the Lbz. This was a conversion out of a pickup any way. I just dont want the injectors of the Lb7 and would like 350-400hp not a hot rod but to pull the mountains and pull my race car trailer if needed but dont want to hurt the trans bu overpowering it. Rod

gmduramax

Shits broke
Jun 12, 2008
Nor cal
I haven't bought anything yet I can get the 6dpeed for the Lbz. This was a conversion out of a pickup any way. I just dont want the injectors of the Lb7 and would like 350-400hp not a hot rod but to pull the mountains and pull my race car trailer if needed but dont want to hurt the trans bu overpowering it. Rod

The trans will not last at 350-400hp. How much does the motor Home weigh? I would go with the LLY so you don’t have to worry about cracking a piston with the LBZ.

Apr 15, 2015
dallas
Why not stick with the lb7 put the money into a built transmission. Doesn't seem worth the effort to change over to a lly or lbz.

Run sac style injectors with a tune and should be good to go for at least 100k miles. Unless your putting a ton of miles on a motor home. Did you say how many miles was on that motor.

And believe me. I've only done 2 injector swaps on a lb7 and I don't want to do any more. I get it. There a pain.

Love-horsepower

Jan 14, 2018
Motor had 42k on it and blew a head gasket. Pulled motor and was going to put a Cummins in it but the job was done do nicely that I studded it and put it back in but must not have gotten the air out of it or it had a cracked head it over heated driving the motorhome from where I put the motor in 1 hour south of my father in law's and it got hot enough that it dropped a seat and munched it through a couple of pistons and killed both heads. It is hard to monitor the engine in the dark first time I drove it on to lane highway and it junked it. I just want the injection lines outside of the head so they dont leak and dilute the oil and kill another one. And if I have problems with an injector I dont have to pull the motor as the is no room to take off all the lines and valve covers in the engine bay. I want to go on vacation and not worry about troubles with the coach and concentrate on enjoying my time with family so trying to do it right the 2nd time and be done.

Apr 15, 2015
dallas
Motor had 42k on it and blew a head gasket. Pulled motor and was going to put a Cummins in it but the job was done do nicely that I studded it and put it back in but must not have gotten the air out of it or it had a cracked head it over heated driving the motorhome from where I put the motor in 1 hour south of my father in law's and it got hot enough that it dropped a seat and munched it through a couple of pistons and killed both heads. It is hard to monitor the engine in the dark first time I drove it on to lane highway and it junked it. I just want the injection lines outside of the head so they dont leak and dilute the oil and kill another one. And if I have problems with an injector I dont have to pull the motor as the is no room to take off all the lines and valve covers in the engine bay. I want to go on vacation and not worry about troubles with the coach and concentrate on enjoying my time with family so trying to do it right the 2nd time and be done.

No offense!!!! Sounded like you killed this motor. It's hard reading threw this to understand what you are saying. Sounds like you blew a head gasket and repaired it. Then it died 1 hour after driving? The lb7s are though. Wife drove mine without coolant for 20 minutes when the heater hose blew. Didn't hurt it. Maybe it's time to take it to a professional.

And when I first fire up an engine I watch everything for the first hour.

Love-horsepower

Jan 14, 2018
I'm not sure I killed it or not I bought it with supposed blown head gasket took it out and apart heads and block looked fine ,gaskets I couldn't see anything definitive on if they were bad . And we did run it for close to an hour before I took off. But it still overheated. We had to get out of this guys shop and it was late. But ultimately I did kill it and I have to pay for it. This time wont be rushed I can promise that.