Allison 5sp: Limp mode bad solenoid

Rookieowner

Aug 22, 2017
Sacramento,ca
Just purchased this 2002 Duramax 6.6 Allison 1000 transmission all stock no modifications keeps burning up solenoids checked all the wiring for bad spots then took it to a tranny shop tranny shop who had it for a month replace the solenoid drove it around after about 10 miles went to limp mode solenoid went bad again so they replace the solenoid again same thing happened they tell me they need to take it to the dealer so I figured I would check on here to see if anybody else had any ideas it sits in my driveway till I figure out what's wrong with it with the help from you one of you gurus codes came up po700 and po746

RVN4ME

May 28, 2008
Mid MI
What solinoids are you burning up? I take it your shop changed your spin on and fluid change?
Since this a new to you truck you probably don't know its history. At one point Just guessing but I will bet that the previous owner got on it pretty good when this code came up and it happened during a shift. This codes indicates that your oncoming clutch during that shift came on too slow ( slip )
Pretty much know you had a clutch pack overpowered ( slip ). Was there damage done? probably some.
Time for a rebuild.

Tech notes P0746
When the a transmission solenoid is stuck off, in most cases the problem is not the electrical part of the solenoid; the problem is foreign material obstructing the mechanical function of the solenoid or the flow of the fluid through the transmission valve body. If the transmission fluid is very dirty, it is recommend changing the transmission fluid and if possible removing the transmission pan for further diagnosis. Excessive debris or metal particles on the transmission pan could be an indication that there is a transmission mechanical failure and that the transmission will need to be rebuilt or replaced.
Google (Duramax P0746) lots to read

Rookieowner

Aug 22, 2017
Sacramento,ca
Thanks guys, filter looked new and The fluid looked clean. I remove the transmission last night dropped off at the shop today and should get back to me haven't heard nothing yet. And I'll see if I can find out what solenoids are going bad

Mike L.

Got Sheep?
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Aug 12, 2006
Fullerton CA
Thanks guys, filter looked new and The fluid looked clean. I remove the transmission last night dropped off at the shop today and should get back to me haven't heard nothing yet. And I'll see if I can find out what solenoids are going bad

Solenoids are not going bad.