Lifting Off Cab

SmokeShow

Nov 30, 2006
Lawrenceburg, KY
Do any of you all lift off the cab to do work on certain things like the turbo? head gaskets? injectors on the LB7? transmission?

If so, or even if you don't but you know how, what all specifically needs to be undone to lift off the cab? No one needs to post the cab bolts, that's obvious enough. :rofl:

Just wondering because it seems like the Ford folks that do this are on to something if it's less than a couple hours of work to lift the cab (and a lift is available). And even if it might take just a little longer, having all that romm to stand beside the engine or behind it as opposed to standing on your head and laying across the top of the engine for hours to get at those impossible turbo and up pipe bolts would possibly be worth it, no???

C-ya

Last edited:

SIKDMAX

Highway Burnouts!
Sep 14, 2007
Central Coast, Cali
www.sikdmax.com
Ive only lifted it about 6" or so to aid in engine removal. I just loosened up all mounts and jacked it up. Never a full removal, although there was a write up in a recent Diesel mag about step by step LMM? cab removal?

SmokeShow

Nov 30, 2006
Lawrenceburg, KY
Here's what one guy said that currently has his cab in the air to do a ZF6 conversion. :eek:

Parking brake
transmission shift cable
fuse box needs to be disassembled
fan and upper fan shroud
lower hose on coolant box
drain the coolant
heater hoses from right rear of engine
air intake
transmission cooler lines
upper radiator hose
steering
inlet ducting to and from intercooler
master cylinder from the frame or brake lines and hydro assist from master cylinder
6 bolts and 2 nuts (front) to release body from chassis
leads to batteries

Keep in mind, if you disco the lines from the MC you need to drain all the fluid if you don't plug the holes, and unless you push fluid in from the bleeder you will be replacing a lot of fluid

duratothemax

<--- slippery roads
Aug 28, 2006
Wyoming
I would unbolt the master cylinder from the booster.

opening the brake lines there is a PITA because you'll never get all the air out of the lines after you reconnect them without doing a full-automated bleed (tech 2).

ben

jimdmax

Feb 18, 2007
Garden Prairie IL.
I just pulled mine off, my motor was already out so it was not hard to do. other then its one heavy sob. I wrapped the spaghetti of wire around the mater cylinder ( Thanks ben i guess next time i'll know) Disconnected brake lines power steering lines, e brake cable, Shift cable. Used a cherry picker, two floor jacks and a pile of blocks jacked it up and rolled the frame out. But this would be hard to do with the motor still between the rails. I plan on putting the motor in before the cab when it goes back together. i'll use a fork truck to put it back on but If you got a lift it would not be a bad job at all.

Last edited:

SAVAGE77

Nov 20, 2009
I've seen a video and write up of this somewhere. Sure wish i could remember where. I have a technician at my dealership looking to do the same thing. No, he doesnt NEED the video. Sure would be nice to pace through it once before he lifts it tho. If anyone sees it post it up please.

JDPlowboy

Feb 6, 2011
I was pretty curious if there was a write up on this to because i have a lift. And im all about having space to work on stuff and this is the first thing i want to do. Been looking for a writeup with pics on this

duratothemax

<--- slippery roads
Aug 28, 2006
Wyoming
takes me about 2 hours to pull a cab. Makes life so much easier. Doing LB7 injectors is about as far deep into a dmax as Ill go before I say 'screw it' and pull the cab. Head gaskets, pulling the cab is a no brainer.

boss760

Mar 8, 2010
Clarkrange, TN
I pulled the cab on a LLY last winter to do the heads. It only took a few hours to pull. Being it was the first time it wasn't bad. I definatly would do it again. Makes life a lot easier.

Rhall

Old Skooler
Aug 12, 2006
Texas Y'all
I guess it depends on which you want to do... takes about the same to pull a motor. St Joe diesels has a 2 post lift, i think they want to buy another cause the 6.0s are always lined up in the the parking lot:rofl:. We never use it, id rather just pull the motor myself.

blk smoke lb7

<-----Lots of green $
Nov 8, 2010
belvidere,ill
i changed engines without pulling the front end or taking the cab off and have changed headgaskets with out removing the turbo cab on. Both lb7 motors.

duratothemax

<--- slippery roads
Aug 28, 2006
Wyoming
I guess it depends on which you want to do... takes about the same to pull a motor. St Joe diesels has a 2 post lift, i think they want to buy another cause the 6.0s are always lined up in the the parking lot:rofl:. We never use it, id rather just pull the motor myself.

Id rather do head gaskets by pulling the cab. Main reason is the engine is being "held" in place because its still bolted to the frame and trans. So when you are torquing those ARP studs, you arent fighting to hold the engine still like you would be if it was out of the truck on a stand. And also, it takes me less time to pull the cab than it does to pull the engine.

durallymax

Apr 26, 2008
Under The Hood
Takes me much less time to pull a cab than a motor. Dealing with the tranny is the most time consuming part in engine removal IMO.

To remove the cab it is very simple and straightforward. i dont know if gm designed it this way or not.

Remove tires and liners and put hood in service position because it gives you soo much more light. Tires dont haver to come off but it gives you soo much more room to work.
Remove grille, and upper shrouds.
Remove bumper(not needed to remove the cab but you will want it out of your way when working on the motor and its nice to have it out of the way for a couple things for removing the cab)
Disconnect transcooler lines that go to transmission, radiator hoses and CAC tubes and dont forget the heater hoses.

Swing A/C compressor up onto passenger sid ebattery.

Unplug main engine bale connectors, glow plug power feed, alternator wires, a/cwires, coolant resevoir wires and swing to the drivers side

disconnect the batterys and leave the wires with the frame

disconnect the small wire that goes to the starter solenoid and fish it over to the drivers side unhooking it along the way

unbolt the grounds on the drivers side that will go up with the cab, I cant think of which ones do or dont or if they all don or all dont but I thought some had to be taken off. Drivers side will be fine all of those grounds stay.

Disconnect parking brake cable and shifting linkage.

Disconnect grounds. The one to the cab, one to the frame by the drivers side (on one of the cab mounts), one up on the radiator mount on the frame on the drivers side. And I may be missing one.

Now you are getting close.

Disconnect all of the wires from the transmissiona nd let them go up with the cab. The rest of the wires(t case, abs, rear lights and trailer plug) you will disconnect at the fuse box. To do this remove the fender support, then remove fuse box cover, then unfasten fuse block and simply trace your wires then unhook them and/or unbolt them from the block, then fish them out of the way so they will not snag.

Unbolt master cyllinder as ben stated

Undo powersteering lines

undo all of your aftermarket accesories tieing the chassis to the cab. This is where you get pissed at yourself for not thinking of removing the cab when you ran those 10,000 wires throught the firewall.

Now unbolt the cab and dont forget to unbolt the radiator stack as well.

Put the tires back on with a couple nuts.

Position your lift arms under the cab. This is where rotary lifts dont shine. The other ones with the pads work nicer but the rotary style pads are just fine however you will want a set of truck extensions in order to reach the cab floor or you will need to block the cab up a bit with some 2x4s or something.

Now slowly lift the cab up while checking for things you forgot to unhook or things that are catching. It helps to have somebody with an IQ of 10 or greater to push the up button for you at this point. But if you have no friends you can do it yourself, ive always managed.

Now with the cab in teh air and free, roll the truck forward to a desireable position and thenl lift the frontend in the air with a floor jack, remove the front tires, then set it down low on jackstands at a desireable working height and begin your surgery,

I would make a writeup or DIY, but dont have trucks coming in here left and right needing the cab off:D But next time hopefully Ill take pictures. Ive done this three times and ive pulled the motor 3 times and find cab removal much nicer if it fits the situation. much nicer than fighting torque converter bolts. But its just my opinion. I remove the cab for HGs no questions asked. Turbo is iffy. Depends on how much it pisses me off. but pulling the cab is a lot of work for just the turbo, but if the bolts wont break loose, off it comes.

IMAG0004.jpg

duratothemax

<--- slippery roads
Aug 28, 2006
Wyoming
hmm interesting...I do it a little different than Vinny, the wiring that is.

I basically just disconnect all of the plugs from the underside of the fusebox and let them droop down in the driver side wheel well.

That way you dont have to disconnect the start solenoid wire, chassis wiring, transmission wiring, and you dont have lots of wiring drooping down when the cab is in the air; it all just stays on the chassis.

Ive never found a need to remove the bumper, but as Vinny says, it makes it easier because especially on the 01-02 trucks, the bumper likes to get hung up on the core support. 03+ trucks its easier.