Lift pumps

Burn Down

Hotrodder
Sep 14, 2008
Boise Idaho
Curious why you guys are selecting lift pumps that don't have the filtration like ad or fass ? Really what's the point? Specially if you have to add a in-line filter after your lift pump ..doesn't make sense someone please elaborate

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Because I prefer to run my own filtration system. I can update the pump however/whoever I choose.

2008lmmchopper

May 28, 2017
That's like asking what oil to use. I have a LBZ and a lmm both with an air dog 4g. Is there a preference? No. It's just for simplicity when ordering filters and parts. I'd like a Fuelab but I already had the air dog.
Are fuel labs supposed to be better? This is always a funny discussion because how do you make a shitty lift pump lol is there any huge differences in any of them? I know bd doesn't use a return it uses the stock return which I like about them.

Sent from my STV100-2 using Tapatalk

2008lmmchopper

May 28, 2017
air dog and fass are last on my list.... As mentioned above you will get a 100 and 1 answers for this.

That said I have a BD flow max on my truck that was a warranty repair/rebuild. It is going on 5+ years without a hiccup, at 12 psi. BD and Fuelab are at the top of my list.
I love bd I like how they use your factory return and you retain your stock filter at least I did its another line of defense and I only have to replace it once a year.

2008lmmchopper

May 28, 2017
Curious why you guys are selecting lift pumps that don't have the filtration like ad or fass ? Really what's the point? Specially if you have to add a in-line filter after your lift pump ..doesn't make sense someone please elaborate

Well the main point of a lift pump is to relieve the stress on your fuel pump that and a lot of tunes require a lift pump if your pump is stock. But I agree I wouldn't run one unless I could have the filtration too.

OregonDMAX

NOT IN OREGON, NO DURAMAX
Apr 28, 2013
Goodyear, AZ
Filtration can be added to any pump inline but a liftpump must have an air separator. imo without one it's a glorified fuel pump with zero benefits.

Fwiw my AD165 is going strong 6 years now and I wouldn't buy anything else.

Also most of these liftpump systems are coming with better filters than what the stock GM filter will catch, so it's pointless. The cat filters can't be beat in price and filtration imo

malibu795

misspeelleerr
Apr 28, 2007
in the buckeye state

I built.my own filtration system that is cheaper a s last longer than what comes OEM on AD/Fass and the like
$50.00 between filters and filter heads plus pump and some hose
21993012_10213034679515237_1213654631969195301_o.jpg

Last edited:

zakkb787

<that’s not me...
Sep 29, 2014
Granite Falls NC

As somewhat mentioned lift pumps are about moving fuel, not filtration. A steady supply to the Cp3 keeps it healthy. And like already said you can build your own superior filtration system with a better pump for cheaper or the same price as a big brand system that will outlast it.

Dozerboy

Jun 23, 2009
TX of course
Because I prefer to run my own filtration system. I can update the pump however/whoever I choose.

X2 and I had secondary filtration before I had a lift pump. Also I hate kits that have the filter hang below the frame.
Are fuel labs supposed to be better? This is always a funny discussion because how do you make a shitty lift pump lol is there any huge differences in any of them? I know bd doesn't use a return it uses the stock return which I like about them.

Kennedy has always been great pumps, but the others have had there issues over the years. Now days I'm not sure that kennedy is any better, but it has a great history. Mine is like 8 years old with 140k even though I have had some dirty fuel that I though would take it out.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Big Chris

2 Duramaxes> 1 Duramax
Mar 30, 2010
Rives Junction MI
I've had a great experiences with Kennedy twin pumps. I installed one on my LLY in 2007 and have roughly 200 k trouble free miles on it. I put one on my LMM in 2013 and have about 120k on that pump now with no issues.

N2BRK

Dec 31, 2009
I'm still running a MITUSA. It's a damned shame that OPIE isn't making them. Love me my little trash pump lol.

Ne-max

I like turtles
Nov 15, 2011
Lincoln, Ne
Many argue with me but for the money a airdog raptor with a cat adaptor and Donaldson filter is my favorite set up for the money. Once winter hits here everyone with filters on frame rail come see us for filters. I have yet had my set up gel up or a pump failure. I think fass and airdog use to small of filters. On my race truck I run a single fuel lab 200. Keeps up great with 150% injectors. But I don't drive it in the winter.

N2BRK

Dec 31, 2009
I used to run the cat adapter with the Donaldson, but then I went to the one piece filter head with proper sized threaded nipple to continue to run the Donaldson. No more worries about oem filter head seal leaks.

TheBac

Why do I keep doing this?
Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
Had a Raptor (FASS) pump, loud as heck under normal conditions, failed after a couple years. You'll never get me to buy another....4G or not.

Have a Kennedy setup now. Quiet, reliable, pro install kit, it does its job. No need to say more.

Mitusa is in the garage waiting for me to someday finish the little truck. I'd always wanted one.

Use your own filter head.

N2BRK

Dec 31, 2009
Mitusa is in the garage waiting for me to someday finish the little truck. I'd always wanted one.

Use your own filter head.

It's a little gem. I'm at almost 100k with no hiccups.

Curious about the filter head comment. What do you see wrong with the one piece billet?

:beer2:

2008lmmchopper

May 28, 2017
Filtration can be added to any pump inline but a liftpump must have an air separator. imo without one it's a glorified fuel pump with zero benefits.

Fwiw my AD165 is going strong 6 years now and I wouldn't buy anything else.

Also most of these liftpump systems are coming with better filters than what the stock GM filter will catch, so it's pointless. The cat filters can't be beat in price and filtration imo
I'd rather pay the extra money knowing I'm gonna separate any water running through my fuel. And if you don't have a lift pump and use a cat filter your making your cp3 suck fuel from tank up the rails and through 2 micron cat filter lol every piece of cat equipment I've ever ran has a fuel filter usually 2 micron and a water separation filter. Blows nmy mind people run cat filter. On a lift pump hell ya but in the stock location nope. Personal preference I guess.

TheBac

Why do I keep doing this?
Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
It's a little gem. I'm at almost 100k with no hiccups.

Curious about the filter head comment. What do you see wrong with the one piece billet?

:beer2:

Ya, that came out wrong. It sounds like "Use the stock filter head". I should have said, "Buy your own filter head and make your own setup." I bought a filter head from NAPA and used that. Muchas gracias for saying something.