LBZ: Lift kit removal

07lbzdirtymax

Jun 24, 2013
Boise, Idaho
So I have a 6" rough country lift on my lbz and I'm really tired of the ride quality plus the 35's are robbing some power, well that's my excuse anyway. So I'd like to take it off but Everywhere I have called has either given me insane prices or told me that there is so much cutting and welding done on the front end that it's pretty much irreversible. Does anyone have any insight on this or have any ideas what I could do? Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Chad006

Drag racer wannabe
Feb 12, 2015
Goodlow, B.C.
There's really not that much too it, I removed my tuff country lift. It definitely helps to have a truck lift. The hardest part is welding the lower diff crossmember back into place. Other than that it's very straight forward.

07lbzdirtymax

Jun 24, 2013
Boise, Idaho
There's really not that much too it, I removed my tuff country lift. It definitely helps to have a truck lift. The hardest part is welding the lower diff crossmember back into place. Other than that it's very straight forward.

I didn't install mine so I wouldn't know where to start. What stock parts did you need to find first?

NinjaMax

WTF!
Oct 3, 2012
Severance, Colorado
I took an 8" fabtech off my 05, it would be easy to have a welder put in a brace to replace the one that was cut. Look right behind where the stock lower control arms bolted up. The rear bolts..you'll see where it was cut. Look up install instruction and that'll show it as well..

Here's what was removed

Last edited:

Chad006

Drag racer wannabe
Feb 12, 2015
Goodlow, B.C.
when I did mine I used, factory lower diff mount (weld in), factory spindles, factory length U bolts for rear axle. If your lift required the ear to be cut off diff you'll need the cognito ear replacement bracket and shocks. I would recommend finding a buyer for your lift and just exchanging parts. Makes the lower diff mount much simpler as you can cut it exactly the length you need it. In my case I picked up all the factory parts (with the exception of U bolts) from a local performance shop for free. Which was nice except whoever put the lift in my truck must have measured and cut crossmember with a potato lol. When I put it in it touched on one side and had 3/4" of gap on the other had to fab an extension for it. Made for allot of extra work.

quinton

Nov 28, 2011
Granbury Tx.
I'm pulling mine off as we speak. It's easy to do if you have access to the stock parts to go back to under the truck.

07lbzdirtymax

Jun 24, 2013
Boise, Idaho
Why don't you just take the block out the back and lower the tbars all the way put some 33's on it and call it a day?

I think that'll probably be what I end up doing. Do you think that'd put bad angles on my CV's or itd be okay cause the blocks in the back are out?

DefiantArms

Limp Mode Cowboy
Jan 28, 2016
St. Augustine, FL
Blocks in the back don't effect the CV angles and it would actually level out your CV axles right now they are probably angled down. Flatter the better some guys are actually angled up here Bc of how low the truck is :D

07lbzdirtymax

Jun 24, 2013
Boise, Idaho
Blocks in the back don't effect the CV angles and it would actually level out your CV axles right now they are probably angled down. Flatter the better some guys are actually angled up here Bc of how low the truck is :D

Thanks for the info. They're fairly flat how it sits right now that's why I thought they'd get worse. The reason I want the lift off is cause I actually wanted to lower it, but taking it off seems like too big of a hassle plus I don't have the time for it so I guess I'll just have to settle with some 33's.

Awenta

Sep 28, 2014
CT
They're probably 4 plus keys.

Slightly negative cv angles are the best because when you take off the front end rises and they even out.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

NinjaMax

WTF!
Oct 3, 2012
Severance, Colorado
They're probably 4 plus keys.

Slightly negative cv angles are the best because when you take off the front end rises and they even out.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Ah ok, so similar to mine

I honestly know nothing about the lift. Or lift kits in general. It was on the truck when I got it haha

Reason I'm asking is I'm running a cognito 4"-6" lift, no block in the rear and keys down so far that its basically a leveling kit, so the end result is a leveled truck with good angles and ride, like these guys are saying, try dropping the front down close to the bump stops and pull the rear block. In running 35" tires with this setup, 33"s would probably look good as well..

07lbzdirtymax

Jun 24, 2013
Boise, Idaho
Ah ok, so similar to mine

Reason I'm asking is I'm running a cognito 4"-6" lift, no block in the rear and keys down so far that its basically a leveling kit, so the end result is a leveled truck with good angles and ride, like these guys are saying, try dropping the front down close to the bump stops and pull the rear block. In running 35" tires with this setup, 33"s would probably look good as well..

I'll have go give that a try and see if I like it. Thanks for the advice!!

Jan 28, 2015
Ohio
I'm still looking for a used lift. I have a set of extra stock spindles and also have everything else off my truck including 5100s that are slightly used if anyone wants to make a trade!