Leveling kit VS jacked up keys

Denalimax

May 19, 2013
Red Rock TX
Went ahead and bought a 2.5" leveling kit for my 2011 2500 Denali but haven't installed it yet, but I have my torsion keys turned up a little right now an the ride is less than spectacular. So I'm wondering if I turn the keys back down the. Install the leveling kit will the ride be the same or better or worse, Need some advice!!!!

06_6.6

Haulin Assphalt
Sep 3, 2012
Indian Territory
If you use as intended it will ride worse. Just crank stock keys to 2" max and get new shocks for 2" lift.

Sent from the land of teepee's and buffaloes

duramaxzak

Wanna be puller!
Nov 22, 2008
Minnesota
I have mine cranked about 1.5"-1.75" and think it rides the same as stock. I think aftermarket keys are a waste unless you get new shocks and upper control arms. Here is a picture of mine with 275/65/20 Goodyear Duratrac's.

View attachment 30013

Last edited:

blk smoke lb7

<-----Lots of green $
Nov 8, 2010
belvidere,ill
Mine is just leveled with the torsion and I bought the shock extenders for $25 and mine rides beautiful and the shocks arent topping out.

06_6.6

Haulin Assphalt
Sep 3, 2012
Indian Territory
Keep in mind that your tie rods, balljoints, and steering arms will wear alot faster once you're cranked. UCA's will help with upper bj's and ride so i would put leveling kit money towards those as said before.
Sent from the land of teepee's and buffaloes

02greysixer

Jun 4, 2011
North Central FL
If you're truck is a highway queen and never going to go off pavement you can get by without doing the uca's, ball joints and hd tie rods for a while. But you will definitely want shock extenders at least though for ride quality. If not longer shocks.
My dad's lbz had had a leveling kit and 35s since the 300 mile mark. His front end is just now starting to feel a little loose and cup tires at 130k miles. But the truck never leaves the highway.
Both Duramax's I have had spend some time in the dirt. The 02 ate ball joints, tie rods, and shocks. But it was maxed out high as I could put it. My 05 is loosening up already too. I've had it for about 5 months and almost 10k miles. It's only turned up 1" over stock. All the ball joint boots are ripped already and the tie rods feel loose. I grease everything pretty religiously too.

Bottom line is what and when you have to replace it will depend a lot on how you use the truck. Regardless it'd be ideal to replace with improved stronger parts

sent from a galaxy far far away

Hot COCOAL

May the farce be with you
Jun 9, 2012
I have to chime in and agree with what most others have already suggested.

Knowing that leveling a truck with the torsion bar adjustment method "cranking up the bars" is going to be the least optimal way to fit larger tires, for every mechanical part in the IFS system including the steering rack and pivot points, but most optimal for a budget minded consumer who isn't doing 4x4 boosted launches down the 1/4mi or sled pulling

Keep in mind that the more you choose to address the weak parts that become weaker when "leveling" the truck, it gets more expensive.

Shock extensions at a minimum, preferred way to go being longer shocks.
Upper control arms will help gain you the travel you need to utilize the "comfort zone" of the shock, but aren't a necessity. They are nice though, depending on how you decide to mount the ball joint they can allow for more height if you are wanting to get aggressive with the set up

Pitman and idler arm support brackets are kinda a must on a stock rig in my opinion, if you don't have those get them, but would be on my must have list for leveling one of our trucks
Stronger tie rods are nice and beneficial in many ways and would be a part I would suggest for an optimal set up

So To "optimally" level lift one of our GM trucks I would suggest

Upper control arms
Longer, mono tube shocks
Pitman and idler support kit
Tie rod upgrade

This will get you the best ride, more responsive "planted" feeling steering, better braking control and the leveled look you are looking for, with the least amount, if any, in stock ride comfort. However, if you choose to max out the torsion bars in this, or any setup utilizing torsion bar adjustment for clearance, your ride will suffer, the c/v angles will suffer, and so will all the other parts and the front tires, just the same as if you just cranked the stock components, they just might last longer.

A well designed lift kit is really the best way to go for bigger tires or even "leveling" a truck, but lifting a truck come with its own set of disadvantages.

Max Attitude

11SIX
Mar 7, 2012
Caledonia, MI
If you're truck is a highway queen and never going to go off pavement you can get by without doing the uca's, ball joints and hd tie rods for a while. But you will definitely want shock extenders at least though for ride quality. If not longer shocks.
My dad's lbz had had a leveling kit and 35s since the 300 mile mark. His front end is just now starting to feel a little loose and cup tires at 130k miles. But the truck never leaves the highway.
Both Duramax's I have had spend some time in the dirt. The 02 ate ball joints, tie rods, and shocks. But it was maxed out high as I could put it. My 05 is loosening up already too. I've had it for about 5 months and almost 10k miles. It's only turned up 1" over stock. All the ball joint boots are ripped already and the tie rods feel loose. I grease everything pretty religiously too.

Bottom line is what and when you have to replace it will depend a lot on how you use the truck. Regardless it'd be ideal to replace with improved stronger parts

sent from a galaxy far far away

Yeah the ball joint boots and tie rod boots on these trucks aren't very good. Some of mine were bad before I even leveled mine. My stock shocks didn't last with the truck leveled. You will want shock extenders or longer shocks. After a couple years my torsion bars settled and I needed the keys to clear my 33x12.50's. One of my ball joints went bad so I got the Cognito ucas. They have a nice bolt in style instead of the factory pressed joints.

2017McKinney

Jake McKinney
Jul 2, 2016
Wayne city IL
I leveled my truck but for some reason it still doesn't sit level. So I was thinking about shock extenders. would that get me what I'm looking for or would I need to get longer shocks? or both?

clrussell

pro-procrastinator
Sep 23, 2013
I leveled my truck but for some reason it still doesn't sit level. So I was thinking about shock extenders. would that get me what I'm looking for or would I need to get longer shocks? or both?

No they won't make your truck taller unless your shocks are fully extended and holding the suspension back. In which case it'll ride like dog turd in January