Leaking TCase

NKlamerus

Jan 31, 2014
Alright so I lost a u joint today on a bridge.

And now that I've replaced both of them I have a very slow leak of tranny fluid coming from the seal of the transfer case and 3 tension housing

The extension housing was replaced a few months ago with an updated version. and thank goodness it isn't leaking from a crack.

How often is it that the seal between the 2 goes bad or vibrates and rips? The fluid is definitely coming from somewhere low on the seal. And of course the dang transmission mount pretty much blocks any access.

NKlamerus

Jan 31, 2014
Also, if u pull the tcase how much fluid will I lose out of the transmission?

I can't remember if the fluid hole on the extension housing pumps fluid or just "flows" fluid

CarolinaHD

Feb 8, 2011
NC
Tighten down the bolts holding the transfer case to the extension housing. When the dealershit replaced my case, it was leaking in the same spot. Snugged the bolts a little and was good to go.

NKlamerus

Jan 31, 2014
Tighten down the bolts holding the transfer case to the extension housing. When the dealershit replaced my case, it was leaking in the same spot. Snugged the bolts a little and was good to go.
That's my plan. I got In there and 2 of them I had to "snug up" on the passenger side, hopefully that will fix it.

NKlamerus

Jan 31, 2014
If you're talking about the bolts that hold the 2 TC halves; don't think your leak will stop as silicone is used.
No, it's leaking from the transfer case seal between the extension housing and tcase.

And not very much, I've never seen it drip but there is always a drop of fluid and film on the crossmember

NKlamerus

Jan 31, 2014
Correction; I tightened the NUTS not bolts.

I believe the tcase has mounted studs that you align into the extension housing then thread nuts onto them....I can't quite remember

NKlamerus

Jan 31, 2014
Nuts, bolts same thing ;) hope that takes care of your leak
I don't think it did...

I'm just praying it's not another cracked extension housing.

If it is, I'm gonna drive 15 minutes to Suncoast, Give them my debit card, and just tell them to go ahead and build it with a billet ext. housing and suncoast internals

NKlamerus

Jan 31, 2014
So my local dealer has 2 in stock for 13 bucks. A little bit pricier but no overnight shipping from anywhere else

I can't find a good way to explain to anyone (INCLUDING SunCoast) that it's not the seal between Ext. Housing and Tranny body that's dripping, it's the Seal between the tcase and the Ext. Housing

Mike L.

Got Sheep?
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Aug 12, 2006
Fullerton CA
So my local dealer has 2 in stock for 13 bucks. A little bit pricier but no overnight shipping from anywhere else

I can't find a good way to explain to anyone (INCLUDING SunCoast) that it's not the seal between Ext. Housing and Tranny body that's dripping, it's the Seal between the tcase and the Ext. Housing

It's a gasket, not a seal.

NKlamerus

Jan 31, 2014
Does the fluid in the tcase reach that seal or is there a barrier somewhere before it? The only reason I ask is because I need to know whether I need to add fluid to the trans or to the tcase...

I believe the trans fluid is what is dripping. Which smells exactly like amsoil and less like the penzoil atf in the tcase

NKlamerus

Jan 31, 2014
So would yall even use the seal at all? Or just silicone?
26f35dc8a414051a37a3430fb18caf6c.jpg

Mike L.

Got Sheep?
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Aug 12, 2006
Fullerton CA
Does the fluid in the tcase reach that seal or is there a barrier somewhere before it? The only reason I ask is because I need to know whether I need to add fluid to the trans or to the tcase...

I believe the trans fluid is what is dripping. Which smells exactly like amsoil and less like the penzoil atf in the tcase

The front seal on the snout of the TC is a 2 lip seal. It is designed to keep TC fluid in and the outer lip keeps the trans fluid out.

NKlamerus

Jan 31, 2014
Okay so here is the plan,

Pull driveshaft/drain tcase

Loosen trans Brace

Jack up trans to relieve weight off crossmember

Pull crossmember and trans brace off

Pull wiring harness and speed sensor off tc

Drop tc

Inspect for cracks on Ext. housing

Replace seal

Put back together....

I might be forgetting a few odds and ends but I don't think it should be that hard. I might also go ahead and do the yoke seal as well

Mar 13, 2012
Bham, AL
NK: when I pulled my t-case for the pump rub I didn't have to pull the cross member. I don't have the trans brace so I don't know how that affects the working room. Just a tip for a little less work.