lbz block in lmm

melms23

Jul 30, 2011
WI
I have a lbz with a cracked piston for a donor motor to start building in my spare time. I plan on covering all the bases with carrillos, mahle or fingers pistons, studs, keying.

Should I use lbz or lmm injectors? thinking 60 or 80 overs

Af cam, billet flexplate, and dampner necessary?

valvesprings? do I need different ones in a twin over stock truck?

s475 over stock for now and will be for a while. twin pumps are on the way. I plan on maybe a 363/475 or 366/480 setup eventually.

NC-smokinlmm

<<<Future tuna killer
May 29, 2011
At Da Beach
100 overs are easier to tune, just use the lmm injectors from your stock motor. Just pay the extra to have them checked out when you send them off.. Other than that :thumb:...

moparkxracer

Jun 25, 2010
Out and about
I think you'll have to modify the plug harness at the injector. I'm using non LMM injectors in mine and had to trim the alignment slots on the harness at the injectors.

melms23

Jul 30, 2011
WI
I would rather not mess with the plugs, so I'll probably stick with lmm injectors then. Wasn't sure if there was any advantage/disadvantages to the different pattern in the tips of the lbz.

Hoping to be able to sell the complete running lmm motor to offset some cost.

Bonestock

Aug 9, 2010
Worland Wy
I would rather not mess with the plugs, so I'll probably stick with lmm injectors then. Wasn't sure if there was any advantage/disadvantages to the different pattern in the tips of the lbz.

Hoping to be able to sell the complete running lmm motor to offset some cost.

If you want the best of both worlds send your lmm bodies into exergy along with lbz tips and have them tested & flowed to tolerances as well as extrude honed to whatever size you want. Then you will have lmz injectors. Lol.

moparkxracer

Jun 25, 2010
Out and about
That's why I went with the older style injectors, more holes. Just had to trim the two tabs off then harness took at 3 min to do all of them.

melms23

Jul 30, 2011
WI
If you want the best of both worlds send your lmm bodies into exergy along with lbz tips and have them tested & flowed to tolerances as well as extrude honed to whatever size you want. Then you will have lmz injectors. Lol.

Good deal that's what I was looking for. That's the info I was looking for.

Are there any other hidden things I'm over for the swap? Is it wise to take out a running motor? I want to keep the reliability, but be able to turn it up at the track.

Harbin_22

Dec 4, 2010
Southern Indiana
I had LBZ injectors in my LMM and ddnt touch anything on them, just plugged them in. Then only other difference you are going to run into is that the LMM heater hose comes out from the oil cooler elbow by the adapter housing where the LBZ heater hose come out of the thermostat housing. If I were you, I would use the LBZ hose setup. Easier to use IMO

melms23

Jul 30, 2011
WI
Thanks, I followed your truck quite a bit. About the only one I came across who also had the sdp kit. Very impressive!

melms23

Jul 30, 2011
WI
Have a chance to work on the short block in my engines class at school. Is there a good place to buy a shop manual? I searched around on other threads and couldnt get the links to work..

Also any good machine shops around southern Wisconsin, iowa, Illinois? I go to UW Platteville and would like a quick turn around since my class time is limited.

Any other suggestions? This will be the first big motor I have really dug into, but I'm pretty mechanically inclined, and also am pretty good friends with a duramax tech that helps me out when I run into questions.

Thanks,
Grant