LB7 vs LBZ Power?

tbj

Jun 4, 2008
Mills Co., Texas
I know I had a progammer on the LB7, but even stock now it seems like the LB7 has more power than the new LBZ I got. I really can't afford to by a new programmer until I sell the old one but any help would be appreciated.

This is probably the wrong section for this, but I figure it will get more traffic.

Ridin'GMC

I like red
May 20, 2010
MA
Think about it, the LB7 comes with 300 hp and the LBZ has 360. Now add up for the programmer to the LB7 and the one with LBZ.

tbj

Jun 4, 2008
Mills Co., Texas
LB7 CCSB 4x4 Quadzilla set on 70, other that that stock down to the exhaust.

LBZ CCSB 4x4, never had anything and I know because I bought it from my pops! :D

I kinda want EFI but I don't want to screw something up, and I have a chance to buy a new Bullydog that my friends boss never installed for $250. But at the same time I've read to many horror stories on here about popped pistons! I don't know crap about LBZ's, because I did all my studying on LB7's, so any help would be great! And I will do a search but if someone could point in the right direction with pics of the EGR plate I would love it!

THEFERMANATOR

LEGALLY INSANE
Feb 16, 2009
ZEPHYRHILLS, FL
I've driven a couple of stock LBZ's and wasn't that impressed with the power myself either. Stock they just feel lazy when you stomp on it. Once it built up some steam you could tell it has more, but the LB7 just feels stronger off the line to me.

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!
What I meant was stock for stock, the LB7 feels stronger!
Don't worry, the butt dyno lies. I guarantee your LBZ has more get up and go than your old LB7. Go to the track and make a pass if you think there might be a problem. The track times will tell you for sure. You should be able to get into the 15s with the truck in stock form.

tbj

Jun 4, 2008
Mills Co., Texas
Don't worry, the butt dyno lies. I guarantee your LBZ has more get up and go than your old LB7. Go to the track and make a pass if you think there might be a problem. The track times will tell you for sure. You should be able to get into the 15s with the truck in stock form.

Thanks, when I drove the old one yesterday it just felt like it had more power

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!
If you still have the old truck, put it to stock and have someone race you in the other truck.

Red

Hating altitude
Aug 23, 2009
Colorado Springs
My LB7 feel like it has more nuts than my friends LBZ because of the turbo lighting slower than his VVT. But it really doesn't. Sounds better though :thumb:

JustinD

Plow Truck
Nov 21, 2008
Tiverton Rhode Island
LB7's do feel faster, but I think its because the LBZ trucks are newer, smoother, and quieter. But My truck and my buddies LBZ basically same mods he put down 498rwhp and I put down 492rwhp, mine is faster but his is a crew and mine is ext cab. I think they all pretty much make the same power once you get to a certain point, some tuners work better on certain engines, I had an Edge on my LB7 it felt good, I have been in LLY's and LBZ's with Edge, they felt slow.

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
Raced my dads LBZ when i only had an edge and exhaust. he was all stock on 6" lift and 35s. i was 8" lifted on 37s and edge on lvl1. i walked him off the line and he stayed behind me.

every truck runs different than another. some run better than others

btw, the quadzilla measures at RWHP correct? if so, its more like you have a 90-100hp tune on the lb7

DougSmith

I know that no one has mentioned this, but depending on how many miles he has on that LBZ, it could be getting clogged up in the EGR system and intake if it was never blocked. I dont care what programmer you put on an LBZ, if the EGR was not blocked, it does not take long for the intake to start getting clogged up. That being said, it is NEVER TOO LATE to block the EGR.

I owned an LB7 and I now own a LBZ, bought them both new. After Blocking and Sticking my LBZ and adding a full flow exhaust, no Kitty, and muffler, the LBZ was WAY faster and faster accelaeration than the LB7 could ever do. The Cat on the LBZ has a tendancy to slow down turbo spool up, so once you get the CAT gone, the turbo works better and thus equals more feel.

Just my input for what little it is worth.

I have seen an intake with 50,000 easy miles on an LBZ and it was almost completely blocked off on one side with crud from the EGR. At least a 40% flow restriction all together, if that doesnt affect performance, I dont know what would.

Last edited:

DIESELMAFIAPER.LB7

<----new hotness
Jan 17, 2010
idaho
shop.dieselmafiaperformance.com
I know that no one has mentioned this, but depending on how many miles he has on that LBZ, it could be getting clogged up in the EGR system and intake if it was never blocked. I dont care what programmer you put on an LBZ, if the EGR was not blocked, it does not take long for the intake to start getting clogged up. That being said, it is NEVER TOO LATE to block the EGR.

I owned an LB7 and I now own a LBZ, bought them both new. After Blocking and Sticking my LBZ and adding a full flow exhaust, no Kitty, and muffler, the LBZ was WAY faster and faster accelaeration than the LB7 could ever do. The Cat on the LBZ has a tendancy to slow down turbo spool up, so once you get the CAT gone, the turbo works better and thus equals more feel.

Just my input for what little it is worth.

I have seen an intake with 50,000 easy miles on an LBZ and it was almost completely blocked off on one side with crud from the EGR. At least a 40% flow restriction all together, if that doesnt affect performance, I dont know what would.

X2 I agree forgot bout the egr crap