Lb7 need help with upper valve cover

Lb7joezay

Feb 18, 2015
I have a 2002 chevy 2500hd with a lb7. I'm currently changing out my injectors but in the process of taking the bolts off my upper valve cover one of my bolts stripped on the passenger side close to the firewall. What should I do?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    198.2 KB · Views: 39

MaxSmoke

FNG for life
Jan 25, 2012
Brighton Co
Tap a 5mm allen on each one before you try to remove any more. Maybe try using an easy out. Once you get to the return lines give the bolt heads a few light taps with a hammer before you try to break them loose. Helped me out tons. Just finished up my injectors on Sunday lol

MAXX IT OUT

<<<IT WORKS
Mar 1, 2013
Des Moines, Iowa
Use a torques bit and hammer it in if its stripped all the way down. Also try to make sure you get your Allen head all the way in. I have stripped out the top half of the bolt before, but hammered it in further and got it out. I hope this helps.

Lb7joezay

Feb 18, 2015
It's my first time changing out my injectors myself. I'm gonna try again one more time and I'll keep yall updated thank yall.

DAVe3283

Heavy & Slow
Sep 3, 2009
Boise, ID, USA
Honestly, once you get the valve cover bolts out, I recommend replacing them with regular bolts. I did the ARP kit, but I think any should work. Went back in to the valve covers this weekend, and it was night and day vs the stock allens. Every one came out without worrying about stripping out.

When you get to the return lines, I found cutting the tab that connect the two parts of the crush washer allows the top part to spin, and the return line bolts come out WAY easier.

Good luck!

ecc_33

Aug 10, 2006
Amanda, Ohio
weld a nut on top of the bolt or maybe cut it off and extract the stud out after you get the valve cover off?

Ne-max

I like turtles
Nov 15, 2011
Lincoln, Ne
Air chisel works awesome to break it loose. For the return lines I start them with vise grips then use Allan socket. The person that did injectors last can make your job easy or chitty. I did a set where they used a yellowish grease in the injectors that made them come out nice. No stuck cups.

Lb7joezay

Feb 18, 2015
I got it loose I used a pair of small channel locks it came off quick not literally but close enough I got 3 of my injectors out on the passenger side. Except the back one closest to the firewall.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    196.2 KB · Views: 12

OnixMax

Oct 7, 2013
Mine did that on the driver side... It was stripped from the previous owner's injector job. Ended up taking a zip grinder and grinding the head off...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk