LB7=LMM Swap

1chevy02

Jun 23, 2009
I have been looking for a good lbz with trans and electronics to swap into an 04 lb7. I found a good deal on a wrecked lmm, and was just curious how much different the lmm is and if it would be possible to swap it in.

chrisuns

Sep 11, 2009
San Antonio, TX
Have to swap to the LBZ injectors, ECM & TCM, the egr intake to get rid of the butterfly valve, reprogram the GPCM, MAYBE a LBZ engine harness (I'm un-sure of that, as I don't have a LMM wiring diagram on me atm.). Off the top of my head that's about it, but I haven't done much research into it. -- Just to give you a general idea.

1chevy02

Jun 23, 2009
Ok thanks guys. So in other words if it is cheap enough it would be worth the hassel:D

chrisuns

Sep 11, 2009
San Antonio, TX
Yep, all depends what your time is worth in dollar value to you. Be prepared to be out of the money for a bit though. You're going to as least eat the injectors and computers for a few weeks. Not sure on the demand of stock LMM injectors but it could be awhile before you sale them.

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!
I wouldn't worry about converting the LMM to an LBZ; just bolt it in as is. Put in a DPF delete tune and call it done.

DAVe3283

Heavy & Slow
Sep 3, 2009
Boise, ID, USA
x2, since it is going into an '02, the electrics won't plug-n-play in either case, might as well save some trouble and keep it an LMM.

chrisuns

Sep 11, 2009
San Antonio, TX
x2, since it is going into an '02, the electrics won't plug-n-play in either case, might as well save some trouble and keep it an LMM.

Yes, that would clearly be the case if he was putting it in a 02. However, he earlier stated it's going into a 04. Offering poor advice because you didn't read his question, isn't going to help anything but make it more difficult for those who know what the hell is going to to explain it.

chrisuns

Sep 11, 2009
San Antonio, TX
I wouldn't worry about converting the LMM to an LBZ; just bolt it in as is. Put in a DPF delete tune and call it done.

Not that simple. For starters LMM and LBZ communication protocols are different. LMM ECM actually talks to the truck though high speed. Where as the LBZ ECM & TCM is programmed by high speed and talk to each other in it, but they talk to the rest of the truck low speed. Same reason it's really complicated to put a LLY or LBZ in a 02 and older vehicle. In this case however, the engines (LBZ and LMM) are almost mechanically identical for the most part and can be converted to one another. Now if a LMM TCM and ECM can be programmed to be back to the older O.S. I belief so. However, I don't think it is as simple as EFI live to do this. Last I knew it took bench programming, which is a lot more than the average home user has.

Drholliday

May 28, 2008
Gresham, OR
Can you explain why he has to convert it to an LBZ to make it work? Is it just so the computers acan talk to the other computers in the truck?

The injectors shouldn't need to be swapped out BTW. LBZ and LMM injectors are interchangeable. Meaning an LBZ can run on LMM injectors and vice versa.

DAVe3283

Heavy & Slow
Sep 3, 2009
Boise, ID, USA
Yes, that would clearly be the case if he was putting it in a 02. However, he earlier stated it's going into a 04. Offering poor advice because you didn't read his question, isn't going to help anything but make it more difficult for those who know what the hell is going to to explain it.
My bad, he did say an 04. I somehow missed that in his post, and saw an 02 in his signature. No need to get snippy though...
Can you explain why he has to convert it to an LBZ to make it work? Is it just so the computers acan talk to the other computers in the truck?

The injectors shouldn't need to be swapped out BTW. LBZ and LMM injectors are interchangeable. Meaning an LBZ can run on LMM injectors and vice versa.
chrisuns is actually right when he says it is how the computers "talk" to the truck. The protocols that the LMM uses to talk to the rest of the truck are different than what the 04-06 trucks use, so if you put the LMM in the older truck it won't be able to communicate. If the computers don't talk to the rest of the truck, thinks like the security system won't work right, and presumably the OP wants the truck to work like factory.

chrisuns

Sep 11, 2009
San Antonio, TX
Can you explain why he has to convert it to an LBZ to make it work? Is it just so the computers can talk to the other computers in the truck?

The same reason I mentioned above. -- Those O.S. speak two different languages. Can't leave an open loop in the system either otherwise it will throw codes. The injectors have to be swapped, they're flow matched then programmed into the ECM and GPCM. -- LBZ 6 hole IIRC and LMM are 7 hole, it'll screw the whole injection chart if you interchange these. They know how many holes each injectors has, flow charts ect ect...

Drholliday

May 28, 2008
Gresham, OR
With some one who already has EFI live the injection tables in the tunes probably won't be staying stock for long. I'm just saying they will work with an LBZ ECM. Its backwards too, LMM's have one less whole then the LBZ. It really doesn't matter if on flows a touch more then the other (between LMM and LBZ)... If it would matter guys who put bigger injectors in their trucks would be screwed.

duratothemax

<--- slippery roads
Aug 28, 2006
Wyoming
Bumping this up....

Im doing a standalone harness for a customer, and he has an LMM engine. Its 100x easier to do standalone with 2001-2007 ECM OS's because cruise control and speedo/tach are configured as discrete signals on the older trucks, as opposed to just being sent as data messages over GMLAN on 2007.5+ trucks.

So Im suggesting the guy buy an LBZ ECM, plug it into his LMM harness (there are a couple minor pin differences, Ill worry about that when I build the harness), and run the LMM as an LBZ.

Its been years (probably 7 years) since I messed around with LBZ/LMM "hybrid" tunes. IIRC the pulsewidth and timing tables were a little different but thats about it. So if I just use LMM pulsewidth/timing tables as a start, copy-pasta them into the LBZ tune.....is there any reason an LBZ ECM wont happily run an LMM (injectors)??

Ill probably just disable the "injector flow values not programmed" codes, because Im not sure if the LBZ ECM/GPCM would properly learn LMM injector values... I doubt thats going to cause a huge issue??

thanks
Ben

J M B

Feb 19, 2013
Bethlehem, GA
Ben,

I have a 04 lb7 4x4 with engine issues and want to swap to newer engine. I have a local guy selling a LMM with the trans. I see where you say to run it as a LBZ. Can I just use a LBZ wiring harness and do I use the TCM from the trans on the LMM?

Btw, how did that one you did turn out?

Thanks
Jason

THEFERMANATOR

LEGALLY INSANE
Feb 16, 2009
ZEPHYRHILLS, FL
With lb7's now having sac injectors available, there really isn't much incentive imho to change to a newer engine. If sac's really do stop the injector issue(which I'm banking on as I put a set in mine), then why go through the hassle and expense of changing engines, harness's, and controllers.