Lb7 issues after new injectors

Extended-lbz

Oct 2, 2014
I have a 01 lb7 that was showing signs of failing injectors so i replaced all 8 with bosch injectors from LDS with new high pressure lines. Drained coolant and everything went fairly smooth besides cyl 2,6 and 8 injector cups pulled so I made sure everything was super clean used 272 loctite included with the injector kit as well as new orings. I made sure as i put a cup back in I immediately installed injector and torqued to spec, also did not put coolant in the truck for 24hrs after cup installs. Primed the fuel system and truck tool a bit to get it fired up, figured it would with all the air in the lines. When it did fire it ran like complete sh*t white smoke like a bastard im assuming some coolant made it into cylinders. After some time it did clear up but it had a lopey idle and sounds like a misfire. Truck has no power until the turbo spools. After sitting overnight it is hard to start and smokes like a bastard when it fires, im assuming a cup is leaking balance rates are fine expect cyl 4 which is showing 6-7 at idle and goes to 10+ in drive. Maybe the cup broke seal with the head but didnt lift completely when the injector came out? Fuel pressure desired vs actual follows pretty close 5.5-6k at idle around 23k at wot. I planned on pulling glowplugs on driver side and seeing if i get any coolant out when running but its a NY truck and ive had them break before so up in the air on that.. sorry for the long post just looking for some advise

Dallas S

Jun 17, 2009
Alberta
Did you drain the block of coolant before pulling injectors/cups?

There is a drain plug on both sides of the block. I always pull these to ensure no coolant in head, so when the cups are removed no chance of coolant filling cylinder.

Extended-lbz

Oct 2, 2014
I did not, just draining from radiator.. i used a pen cam to look into cylinders and i did not see coolant but also wasnt very clear display either.. after installing the injectors i adjusted to valves so i had to turn the motor over.. so if their were coolant in cylinders the coolant would have contacted the freshly sealed cups which i didnt think about untill after the job was finished.. im not understand why cyl4 injector is so far out of spec though as i didnt pull that cup.. maybe a combo of bad injector out of the box and leaking cup(s)?

Extended-lbz

Oct 2, 2014
Update..

Pulled and resealed all 8 injector cups as 2 were leaking coolant into cylinders and re adjusted the valves as they werent set right. Truck runs great and i would highly recommend anyone doing injectors to pull all 8 cups and reseal them. The cups that were leaking did not pull with injectors. Also want to give a big shout to to brent at LDS for the awsome customer service and helping me diagnose the issues i was having!