Lb7 injector replacement

Jul 23, 2016
Kentucky
Alright guys i bought a 2002 lb7 dummy me did not notice light white smoke at idle so my stupidity, truck has 163k i pid $16,000 for it. Iv been reading up on the replactment and i have been a wrench turner for a couple of years on tractors so shouldn’t be much different. My question is if i should only replace the once that are out of balance or all of them and if all of them does anyone have links to sets of injectors that arn’t costing an arm and leg also would like the install kit included with it.

zakkb787

<that’s not me...
Sep 29, 2014
Granite Falls NC
Alright guys i bought a 2002 lb7 dummy me did not notice light white smoke at idle so my stupidity, truck has 163k i pid $16,000 for it. Iv been reading up on the replactment and i have been a wrench turner for a couple of years on tractors so shouldn’t be much different. My question is if i should only replace the once that are out of balance or all of them and if all of them does anyone have links to sets of injectors that arn’t costing an arm and leg also would like the install kit included with it.

Replace all of them and replace your lines or get cleaned ones. Pull and reseal all your cups. Lincoln Diesel specialties is the only place I’ll ever get injectors from. Talk to Brent or Lauren. Their number is in the vendor section here or google it.

Dukchunter

Jan 12, 2018
LDS for the injectors. If your pulling cups order the tool to pull them now don't wait. I personally didn't and would not pull the cups. Only re-do the cups that come out with the injectors... most of your time will be in removing everything on top of the engine. Order new high pressure lines... your old ones will be corroded... don't get stainless lines.
Knowing what I know now i would do head gaskets/studs too... your 3/4 the way to them when you do the injectors. (I did not do this and headgaskets went 6 months later... and your about that mileage.) May be a bit more expensive but you won't have to worry about tearing back into it later.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

K1SSRSS

Dieselfied Camaro Junkie
Jun 26, 2014
Las Cruces, NM
Replace all of them and replace your lines or get cleaned ones. Pull and reseal all your cups. Lincoln Diesel specialties is the only place I’ll ever get injectors from. Talk to Brent or Lauren. Their number is in the vendor section here or google it.

What he said :thumb:, if your not planning on upping the boost significantly, I don't think I would spend the money/time replacing head gaskets and installing studs, but if you plan for turning the tunes way up go for it.

torqued2dmax

Mar 26, 2017
Brookville, PA
Thats not a bad price if its nice and for a few grand it will be good for at least another 175000 ! Good luck ! Make sure you send the heads to a reputable machine shop that has experience with Duramax heads !!!

Dukchunter

Jan 12, 2018
Dukchunter how hard where the head gaskets? I have a cherry picker to do them
Since you will have the injectors out you basically only have the rockers head bolts, rods, up pipes, and intake bridge to take off... I left my exhaust manifolds on the heads.. you don't need a cherry picker to get them out but would help.. you can lift them out with 2 guys... I left the turbo on to do them.. (you can take the turbo of pretty easily once the heads are off... if you want to do any upgrades... I did a billet compressor wheel while in there....) taking the turbo off will help in removing the heads it's more a time consuming job then hard... hardest part I believe was the up pipe bolts... the are a pain to get to. If you pull the turbo make sure you get the 5 dollar gasket for the oil return line...

Dukchunter

Jan 12, 2018
Since you will have the injectors out you basically only have the rockers head bolts, rods, up pipes, and intake bridge to take off... I left my exhaust manifolds on the heads.. you don't need a cherry picker to get them out but would help.. you can lift them out with 2 guys... I left the turbo on to do them.. (you can take the turbo of pretty easily once the heads are off... if you want to do any upgrades... I did a billet compressor wheel while in there....) taking the turbo off will help in removing the heads it's more a time consuming job then hard... hardest part I believe was the up pipe bolts... the are a pain to get to. If you pull the turbo make sure you get the 5 dollar gasket for the oil return line...

I may be missing a step or 2. At work right now but there is a really good write up on here that I can post later that I followed to do mine... just followed step by step and it gave me bolt sizes etc.

Last edited:

Dukchunter

Jan 12, 2018
I may be missing a step or 2. At work right now but there is a really good write up on here that I can post later that I followed to do mine... just followed step by step and it gave me bolt sizes etc.

Here is the write up.
http://www.thedieselpageforums.com/tdpforum/showthread.php?t=39924

If you chose to do the head gaskets, I would adjust your valve lash also... about half hour job as you reassemble... we did mine and it's a night and day difference in engine noise... so much smoother... but completely up to you what you decide to do. You can just do injectors if you wish. Your just going to be so close to them.

Brent@LDS

Vendor
Vendor/Sponsor
Aug 23, 2011
Wisconsin
We can help you out here at Lincoln Diesel Specialties for all your injector needs. Let me know if I can help! Thanks