LB7 injector knock

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
So since it finally got humid here in AZ, i started driving the limo again. over the winter, i noticed a little knock after going on a couple trips to the dunes but wasnt anything that warranted me diving deeper into it. Well this past week ive really taken notice to it.

here is what she does. when cold, it wont knock. sounds happy as can be when cold. soon as she warms up it starts knocking on one cylinder (#5 to be exact). this knock sounds like a fuel knock when you unplug the FPR and give it full rail. its not quite by any means as i can hear it in the cab easily. it would only knock at idle in gear over the winter, then it started to do it in park begining of last week, now im fairly sure i hear it a little cruising the highway. No smoke, no haze, no bad MPG, not making oil, no puffs of smoke out the oil fill, no blown out dipstick from a broke piston. fuel return isnt all that much even taking the main return line off. i was actually surprised at that. its just a little trickle.

at first i thought it might be tuning as running the stock tune would quite it down so i messed with the tuning a bunch, increasing rail then decreasing (above and below stock), adding or subrating timing (above and below stock), and attempting to see if messing with commanded idle mm3 would do anything. So what i thought fixed it was lowering everything as it quiet it all down and it was good for a day, then it came back just as loud as before. If you shut cyl 5 off, knock is completely gone and she sounds great besides the miss. So i tried some injector clean thinking maybe they are a little gummy after 25k. made absolutely 0 difference. balance rates are no higher than -+2.0 accept for cyl 5 which is positive 6.

at this point, im thinking the copper seal is no longer sealing in the cup for the injector or the injector is bad its self. the positive number makes me think compression is a little lower in that cyl from it not sealing or maybe a weak coil on the injector.

anyone else have any ideas to double check? ive tried to do most of the diag before posting. valve cover comes off tonight. least its on the easy side :D

Bustedknuckles

Honey Badger
Sep 25, 2010
Hagerstown MD
Mine did that exact same thing and it was a copper not sealing, pulled the cup out of the head when I pulled the injector because of carbon. I don't think stock torque is high enough for the hold downs, I bumped it up to 45 and it felt a lot better.

Chevy1925

Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
Well I tore it down today and pulled the injector. No signs of the copper seal loosing seal so since I needed to get the truck back together tonight being it was half way out of the garage, I made the decision to go to the dealer and grab a new injector. Brought it home, resealed the cup, pulled injector 3 just to be sure I wasn't thinking of the wrong injector and it looked good, resealed that cup and put her all back together. Started her up and went for a test drive. All seems well. I'll know for sure tomorrow after I get it good and hot but I hear no signs of knocking like I could before.

Chevy1925

Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
yup, they were still tight as can be. the copper seal looked great as well. granted i didnt reuse the copper seals. i had a bag of them left over from my motor build so i put a new one on cyl 3 when i pulled it as well

meshanic

All In Trucks
Dec 9, 2010
West Texas
My 02 tow rig does the exact same thing yours was doing. It only has 58k on it now but I'm thinking of replacing all 8 injectors since they're 12 years old & bosch has made some improvements to the injector bodies since 02. I'm glad to hear yours worked out. I don't think mine are fueling right anyway. It seems kinda lazy compared to other LB7s that are running the same tunes. Kinda feels like a truck that has brand ebay injectors in it lol!

Last edited:

Mile_high

The Mad Hatter
Oct 31, 2009
Denver, Colorado
My 02 tow rig does the exact same thing yours was doing. It only has 58k on it now but I'm thinking of replacing all 8 injectors since they're 12 years old & bosch has made some improvements to the injector bodies since 02. I'm glad to hear yours worked out. I don't think mine are fueling right anyway. It seems kinda lazy compared to other LB7s that are running the same tunes. Kinda feels like a truck that has brand ebay or LDS injectors in it lol!

LDS injectors are known to be less than "good"?

Brent@LDS

Vendor
Vendor/Sponsor
Aug 23, 2011
Wisconsin
Not sure the meaning/reason behind your LDS comment, but we only sell OEM Bosch Remans. This is the SAME product that you would buy from your local GM dealer.

Last edited:

meshanic

All In Trucks
Dec 9, 2010
West Texas
I'll edit that. Let's just say ebay injectors. If they are the same thing as GM then they would be what I have been using here for years. Anyway back on topic. My balance rates all look really good so I wouldn't know which one injector to replace.

1pieceatatime

Mar 30, 2014
Schuyler NY
Not sure the meaning/reason behind your LDS comment, but we only sell OEM Bosch Remans. This is the SAME product that you would buy from your local GM dealer.

Wasn't there another company with a similar name selling there own remans with a high failure rate a bunch of years ago?

Brent@LDS

Vendor
Vendor/Sponsor
Aug 23, 2011
Wisconsin
The only product that we sell here are OEM Bosch units. We don't sell anything else, nor do we do anything in-house. With the volume of injectors that are remaned, you are bound to have a few warranty injectors every now and again, but it's few and far between. For your convenience, here is a link to our site: lincolndiesel.webs.com

1pieceatatime

Mar 30, 2014
Schuyler NY
The only product that we sell here are OEM Bosch units. We don't sell anything else, nor do we do anything in-house. With the volume of injectors that are remaned, you are bound to have a few warranty injectors every now and again, but it's few and far between. For your convenience, here is a link to our site: lincolndiesel.webs.com
You kind of dodged my question......

Chevy1925

Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az

Hmm, back when I talked to duratitus on dieselplace in 2011 he kept saying they were "LDS remans" hence my confusion

Brent@LDS

Vendor
Vendor/Sponsor
Aug 23, 2011
Wisconsin
You are right, when Titus owned LDS he sold those, as well as OEM Bosch units. However, once we took over LDS (in late 2011) we dropped the LDS line and continued with just the Bosch units. The reason for dropping the LDS brand was because there was a dramatic price increase. So we dropped the LDS brand and stuck with the OEM Bosch units.