LB7 - Can I delay replacing injectors?

turbo_bu

Mar 27, 2007
Central IL
Probably already know the answer, but timing isn't great right now. 2004 LB7 with ~110,000 one owner miles on it. Stock injectors. Always had 2 cycle to help with lubricity. #7 shows balance rate of 7.9 mm^3 ... the rest are within spec. A few hundred miles ago, I noticed exhaust smell while hooking up the boat at the ramp. Not sure how long it has done that since we haven't had the boat out in a while and I usually don't stand at the back of the truck with it idling. Last week, went to put away the boat for the season and kind of noticed a slight haze coming out of the exhaust. Truck starts fine, and drives fine. Mileage is about where it always is ... about 18 MPG.

The truck doesn't get driven much, but with winter coming up, there will be times when I need it. Guessing that with the cold, the haze and starting will suffer if I leave the stock injectors in there. Unfortunately, right now there are a lot of things going on and I am having trouble finding a free weekend to do an injector swap on the ol' truck.

Question, any chances I could delay this until spring?

Bdsankey

Vendor
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 1, 2018
Neenah, Wisconsin
Personally I wouldn't delay it any further. Washing down a cylinder is no joke. If it's hazing consistently at ful temp it's time.

Last edited:

2004LB7

Dec 15, 2010
Norcal
Does it clear when the engine is up to temp? That will kinda tell you how bad it is.

You can also try running that GM injector cleaner (discontinued but I think still available as AC delco) and see if it buys you the time you need

turbo_bu

Mar 27, 2007
Central IL
The haze that I saw was with it warmed up. I haven't tried to run injector cleaner, but sounds like I need to find time. I sure don't want it to start washing down the cylinder walls. So far, no fuel in the oil, but it appears that could happen very quickly.

Last edited:

Dozerboy

Jun 23, 2009
TX of course
Your "ok" until you start getting fuel in the oil. It's really wise not to let it get to that point though. Could last weeks or months...

LBZ

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jul 2, 2007
B.C.
I got lucky towing 1500 miles with a partially plugged injector that was much worse than what you’re describing. But it went downhill very quick and fuel mileage really suffered. I wouldn’t leave it too long if I were you.

Reactions: Bdsankey