lb7 build

taylorbok

Jan 31, 2011
starting to gather parts to build my motor. going to do the work my self with a goal of about 800hp

here is what I have on the list so far

arp head and main studs
carrillo rods
new clevite H bearings all around
cut and coated lb7 pistons
key stock cam and crank
head gasket kit

if you guys have any input please post
do you guys think I should put a girdle in?

for injectors I'm thinking 100 overs not sure who from yet. I have a second pump waiting to go on.

ill continue to post as I get parts and start work, for now I am just wondering what else I need to consider putting in.

taylorbok

Jan 31, 2011
billet plate the supports the block and they put aluminum blocks over the main caps. and I believe they machine the upper oil pan to allow for the extra meat on the main caps.

should I be putting in different valve springs as well? this machine is also going to get another turbo over my current s366

wsmithduramax

<--- Home Made!
May 4, 2009
Windsor, CO
billet plate the supports the block and they put aluminum blocks over the main caps. and I believe they machine the upper oil pan to allow for the extra meat on the main caps.

should I be putting in different valve springs as well? this machine is also going to get another turbo over my current s366

Also kind of curious on the valve springs, I know a lot of guys run Hamilton's or so cal. I think for the price of Hamilton's, it can't hurt.

Andrew

Costly Obsessions
Aug 7, 2013
delaware
I would do push rods an valve springs too for the price of them its not drastic an good peace of mind

TheBac

Why do I keep doing this?
Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
Excellent list so far, Taylor. You've got good instincts.
Upgrade the various bolts thru the engine, like the injector holddowns and rocker shaft bolts while you're at it.
Valvesprings would be a good idea.
Id look into welding the waterpump impeller.
100-overs -- good idea.
Are you planning on balancing the crank and rotating assy. You should.

hondarider552

Getting faster
May 28, 2008
Arizona
I'm with Tom. About the same list I did on my engine.

I also bought socal injector hold down studs and used the stock hold downs.
also arp rocker studs from socal
Hamilton springs
merchant water pump.

sickdiesel

Apr 22, 2010
I think for anything around or over 800 a girdle is a great thing to do. more for peace of mind and insurance

taylorbok

Jan 31, 2011
ok so add on push rods, valve spring kit, and girdle.

is there any reason an engine with those parts wont hold 800hp?

would you guys be skeptical to start with a "core" engine the motor in the truck is good but if I could I would rather build an engine and then swap the 2 when I can. I would like to start with a good motor but up here a running dmax starts at about $2000 which is a decent chunk of cash considering I can get a core for like $200

Cknight199

Aug 23, 2012
Salt Lake City, Utah
ok so add on push rods, valve spring kit, and girdle.

is there any reason an engine with those parts wont hold 800hp?

would you guys be skeptical to start with a "core" engine the motor in the truck is good but if I could I would rather build an engine and then swap the 2 when I can. I would like to start with a good motor but up here a running dmax starts at about $2000 which is a decent chunk of cash considering I can get a core for like $200

People buy blocks all the time and use that block to build their rotating assembly in. Then you can drive your truck and take your time.

No one can tell you for certain that they will hold, because once you decide to build your motor the sky is the limit as far as parts go. But most people will go with similar parts for a build like yours.

2005LLY

Sep 18, 2011
How much money do you guys have in your motors? I am thinking of doing a similar set up but don't want to spend over 10k....

lifteddirty

Aug 20, 2013
casper wy
as for money, you have to think, carrillo rods are 27-2800 alone and pistons are 18-1900. I would add a girdle into the mix though. At that horsepower its not a bad idea to main stud your bearing caps either. Also some good merchant auto engine mounts

Last edited:

hondarider552

Getting faster
May 28, 2008
Arizona
I have 10 in mine with the dual fuler. I skipped in merchant mounts, had James double bolt my stockers. Saw no reason for them in my build.