Knock sound in intake

WVRigrat05

Wound for sound
Jan 1, 2011
French Creek, West Virginia
Been putting a lot of miles on the truck and opened it up pretty good going home the other day, truck has had what I thought sounded like a faint rod knock but after having someone hold it to 1700 rpm in gear I have a knock sound coming from the intake, sides and bottom of motor are silent, truck runs really good but it has sounded like it has a miss under light throttle and on decel, curious to what you guys though, the knock sound is horrible at times and not hardly noticeable at others, which makes me think an injector but I’m betting a rocker arm screw is backing off.

Apr 15, 2015
dallas
Our LLY did the same thing and noise when an injector was going out. No noise wide open. Sounded bad off throttle and light load

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WVRigrat05

Wound for sound
Jan 1, 2011
Oil pressure is down about 5-8 psi cruising but it still has Dino oil and it’s been real hot here, balance rates look good but main injection timing in gear is 14 mm3, it was quiet when we went to eat a few minutes ago, shut it off, then idled for 20 minutes and it got loud a minute and now it’s back to a faint slapping sound again, I’m not sure where to start.

PureHybrid

Isuzu Shakes IT
Feb 15, 2012
Central OH
If it's an internal issue it won't get worse and then better. I'd look at the fuel system like said, maybe double check wiring too.

2004LB7

Dec 15, 2010
Norcal
Sounds like a nice running engine to me. Maybe the mic doesn't pick it up very well but I dont hear anything out of the norm

2004LB7

Dec 15, 2010
Norcal
Sounds like one injector/cylinder knocking on that one bit still kinda hard to tell

Throw a quart of 2 cycle oil in the fuel tank and see if it helps

jlawles2

Jan 28, 2010
Danbury, TX
Do you have a way to do injector cut out testing? Turn them off one at a time to see if the noise goes away or changes indicating where to start.

One other thing to check is the intake to the turbo to see if something got injected and is bouncing off the impeller.

Hambone

Always learning
Jan 24, 2016
Florida
Sounds like mine did awhile back
Ran it to a quarter tank added a bottle of sea foam and gave her hell!!!
Took my #7 injector from being like +8 to back around +2 with the rest
Was honestly surprised It worked
Hope it’s something easy for you Reger... you seem to have some bad luck with these things :/

WVRigrat05

Wound for sound
Jan 1, 2011
There may be nothing wrong with it, but it’s louder than it was before tear down, and the sound has gotten worse,plus it’s been so long since I’ve been around another Duramax that’s not stock I forget what they sound like

trashygasman

Slowly but Surely
Dec 18, 2008
Washington, OK
I’m having the same issue with my LBZ after doing head gaskets this winter. Mine sounds like loose rockers to me. A guy who works on a lot of diesels told me valve lash isn’t that important but I also have to take a lot of what he says with a grain of salt sometimes. All I know is that it sounds different than it did before I tore it down...louder to me.

onebaddmaxxx

Feb 22, 2009
Cecil County Md
I’m having the same issue with my LBZ after doing head gaskets this winter. Mine sounds like loose rockers to me. A guy who works on a lot of diesels told me valve lash isn’t that important but I also have to take a lot of what he says with a grain of salt sometimes. All I know is that it sounds different than it did before I tore it down...louder to me.

Yours is probably in need of the valve lash needing done. Anytime iv heard a pop through the intake its always that, esp being yours happened when head gaskets were done..

trashygasman

Slowly but Surely
Dec 18, 2008
Washington, OK
Yours is probably in need of the valve lash needing done. Anytime iv heard a pop through the intake its always that, esp being yours happened when head gaskets were done..

Well I did it myself :eek: First time adjusting any valves in a looonnngg time, much less a diesel LOL....soooo I wouldn’t be surprised if they need readjusted. Can it be done by just pulling the top half of the valve cover?

WVRigrat05

Wound for sound
Jan 1, 2011
Got my knock figured out, 2,000 mile fuel filter felt like a bar bell, we drained the tank and put fresh fuel in it, had a little fine black shit that settled out but nothing that looked alarming or terrible.

Now, from what I’ve read, the balance rates do not read while moving but mine do wheather they’re accurate or not, but injector 3 stays between 2.8 and 4.4 when cruising and levels out to 1.6 at idle and injector 2 will go as high as 3 moving idling it’s a .8.