Injectors good or bad please help

Duramax52513

Jun 23, 2013
image.jpg

These are my balance rates I just got done about an hour ago, shop said they need to be replaced, what do you guys think.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    147.5 KB · Views: 68

PACougar

Jun 27, 2012
El Dorado Hills, Ca
Was the engine warm when they did the test and was it done in park or in drive with a foot on the brake? Do you have symptoms that go along with bad injectors?

jnieberlein

Secret Squirrel Diesel
Aug 17, 2009
West By God
judging just from that info, I wouldn't replace them. last I reacall +/- 4mm3 in park and +/- 6mm3 in drive. Are there any other symptoms that would lead them or you to believe they need to be changed?

Last edited:

Duramax52513

Jun 23, 2013
The engine was warm and in park. I have a white haze coming out of my stack which people on here said that indicates bad injectors. I've also had a little trouble starting but she still feels like she has power.

xtremebikr04

Jan 17, 2011
Vermont
Balance rates don't tell the whole story. That's just for what's happening with that cylinder. Injectors over/under fueling, compression etc effect balance rates. A return rate test will tell you what the injectors are sending back to the tank. If they're sending too much back to the tank you will get the hard starts. The inj need aprox 1500 psi just to open.

Duramax52513

Jun 23, 2013
And the longer the truck ran the higher the positive numbers would get and the negative numbers would get more into the negatives, not sure what that means or helps.

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
And the longer the truck ran the higher the positive numbers would get and the negative numbers would get more into the negatives, not sure what that means or helps.

we need to know when they level off. at some point they will quit climbing. that means the pic you posted is pretty much useless for use to base our answers off of.

see if they even test them for return rates. i know of alot of places that wont take that step ;)

You're right James, I forgot to eat my wheaties today:D

haha you had me searching around for an update somewhere! :D

Duramax52513

Jun 23, 2013
Well thanks for the help, I didn't know I needed the other information. I mean I want to believe the guy is telling me the truth, he was the owner of the diesel shop I took my truck to but I was hoping to get some info from you guys to make sure he wasn't one of those people who were trying to get me to do business with them just so they could make some money.

patterson54321

Aug 28, 2014
I know with mine , mine are terrrrible when its cold. But balance rates and injector knock goes away when warm. But i will get a haze at a warm.idle somrtimes. But its also got a fpr lope, so ima try that first lol