Injector copper washer thickness?

skintback

Take this one to church
Mar 5, 2007
Florida
How much of a benefit would it be to install a thinner injector copper washer to keep the spray pattern more in the piston bowl?

Next would be how thin can you go and where? The stock washer is around .078 i think
and a lbz tip is out about .135 along with the glow plug is out about .200 this is measuring from what it sticks out of a stock head.

JMK777

16's, but i keep em clean
Mar 20, 2008
Moss Beach
I'm going to guess that the wacher is that thick so it has the shrangth to retain cylinder psi and still hold a seal under heat .

TheBac

Why do I keep doing this?
Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
Sonny, I just think its something nobody's ever considered, or even thought about. Only people I can think of who may have looked into it would be Brayden or Guy.

JMK777

16's, but i keep em clean
Mar 20, 2008
Moss Beach
What type of motor are we talking about? How deep do you want to go with the injector Im thinking a combo of cutting the wash and the seat that the washer sits in.

Last edited:

skintback

Take this one to church
Mar 5, 2007
Florida
Well this is what i have found a washer out of a 06 CR cummins is .065 and a stock washer out of a LBZ is .080 these are used ones and my gauge is old but gives you a idea of what i got. With the CR washer in the head the injector tip sticks out .150 and the stock lbz one sticks out .130 this is with the hold down tight just like it sits in a running motor.

not sure if this is a waste of time or could it help keep the fuel from spraying the piston lip as bad and keep it more in the blow :eek:

I'm going to try it on mine when i get my sticks done up

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!
I think Johnboy put a thinner washer under his injectors to put the tip a little further down in the bowl. The only thing I would be worried about would be the clearance between the piston and the injector.

skintback

Take this one to church
Mar 5, 2007
Florida
I think Johnboy put a thinner washer under his injectors to put the tip a little further down in the bowl. The only thing I would be worried about would be the clearance between the piston and the injector.

You would have to go past .200 that is what the glow plug tip sits down and without a washer the tip of injector only sticks out to i believe .175-.180