In-Cab Handgun Mounts

chevyburnout1

Fixing it till it breaks
Aug 25, 2008
Berthoud, CO
Who here always has their handgun on them at all times? I'm looking for mounting and holster ideas for permanent mounts in my Dmax and the Caddy. Usually I always have my XD9 Subcompact on my hip but the times I don't/can't I like them in a ready to go but secured spot in my truck. I'm not a fan of just throwing it in my glovebox. Something like in this picture intrigues me as I don't have a center console, however I'm not finding much luck on my Google searches today. Any pictures out there of what you guys have?

84d0159b.jpg

thunder550

Apr 2, 2013
Phoenix, AZ
I haven't bought one yet but I was looking at the ones that strap onto the driver's knee bolster and hang the gun directly below the steering wheel. That seems to me like it would be the easiest to access.

universal-vehicle-handgun-holster-mount.jpg

chevyburnout1

Fixing it till it breaks
Aug 25, 2008
Berthoud, CO
I've seen those plenty but I'm just not a fan of it. I feel like my long legs and pointy knees would keep hitting it getting in and out. Plus that's kind of more out in the open than I like.

Dirtymaxx03

Aug 4, 2009
I haven't bought one yet but I was looking at the ones that strap onto the driver's knee bolster and hang the gun directly below the steering wheel. That seems to me like it would be the easiest to access.

universal-vehicle-handgun-holster-mount.jpg

In Texas we can have guns in the car as long as A) we aren't breaking any other laws B) we aren't a part of a criminal organization C) the handgun must be out of plain sight...

Does that mount count as "out of plain sight"
If so I'm buying one.

Dirtymaxx03

Aug 4, 2009
I've seen those plenty but I'm just not a fan of it. I feel like my long legs and pointy knees would keep hitting it getting in and out. Plus that's kind of more out in the open than I like.

under the steering column would definitely take some abuse from my knees.

Idk about y'all but my huevos prevent me from sitting with my knees together like a woman...I'm close to 6'3" and my knees have never came close to the steering colum

SSchmi5519

LLY Cult Leader
Oct 19, 2008
Arizona
Flip-down console gets in the way of a clean grip to pull it out IMO.

I'd like to see a setup that hangs off the front of the seat, not sure how to make something like that work though.

My legs are short lol, so drivers seat is actually in front of the center seat :roflmao: set it in there with a little forward cant and she is good to go!

chevyburnout1

Fixing it till it breaks
Aug 25, 2008
Berthoud, CO
Finally got some time to research some more and I'm really liking the between the seat holster. Keeps it hidden enough for me. I went out and checked and my center console really doesn't interfere much with my reach.

I just remembered I have my original el cheapo plastic holster that came with my XD so I may see what I can make with that.

Dozerboy

Jun 23, 2009
TX of course
In Texas we can have guns in the car as long as A) we aren't breaking any other laws B) we aren't a part of a criminal organization C) the handgun must be out of plain sight...

Does that mount count as "out of plain sight"
If so I'm buying one.

NO that isn't out of plain site. I know of guys that been harassed not ticketed for guns in their door pockets and tucked between the seats. Just depends on the officer. If you can see the gun when you open the door with/without someone sitting in the seat your asking for it.

I have a holster I truck between the seats but I cover the grip up with a towel.

DBUSHLB7

Team DMAX
Mar 9, 2012
Albuquerque, NM
Who here always has their handgun on them at all times? I'm looking for mounting and holster ideas for permanent mounts in my Dmax and the Caddy. Usually I always have my XD9 Subcompact on my hip but the times I don't/can't I like them in a ready to go but secured spot in my truck. I'm not a fan of just throwing it in my glovebox. Something like in this picture intrigues me as I don't have a center console, however I'm not finding much luck on my Google searches today. Any pictures out there of what you guys have?

84d0159b.jpg

Bench seat setup makes a perfect wedge between drivers and middle seat

#nocenterconsoleproblems

How about on the underside of the jump seat console? So it would only be visible if that console was flipped up.

The only problem I forsee with that is getting in the way of a would be female passenger trying to get ummmmm ....... Work done:D

Hot COCOAL

May the farce be with you
Jun 9, 2012
I just got a tuck style holster and put a 2"x 4" strip of 3M industrial velcro on it and then the other half on my center console next to the seat in a position that allows me to grab the butt of the stock quickly and easily but it is not easily seen, it's pretty slick and I like the positioning of it tucked in nice and secure between the seat and console, I especially like that the barrel points down as I primarily carry cocked n locked, it feels "safe" there.

AKlowriderZ71

May 14, 2012
Wyoming
I've been carrying my 44Mag like this for 6+ years, and the wife carries her 357Mag the same way. Never had any issues whatsoever. Just tell the officer that you have it if/when you get pulled over. Sometimes they secure it in their car until the stop is over, and sometimes they don't even care & thank me for telling them.

Every state has different laws on the subject. I've had no issues in Alaska or Wyoming.