how many crank pin failures??

mainer

Nov 11, 2008
just a question out of curiosity

when everyone is saying "keyed crank" are they removing the pressed on gear and putting in a keyway?

curious because I dont know as though I remember seeing many (if any) posts about failures of the pin on the pressed on gear.

Harmonic pin failures arent uncommon and cam gear pin failures are somewhat common ....

adeso

wait, what?
May 30, 2011
Minot, ND
While I agree with asking why, at the same time the shop charged me to key the crank and harmonic for $75 so I think that is why everyone just does it, the shop just puts in one big key and its done.
I am not a engine builder so maybe someone else that knows what they are talking about can chime it.

mainer

Nov 11, 2008
empire offers the jig/ drill/ pin to pin the balancer in the truck....

I think there have been a few posts by Henry saying he didnt think it was necessary to key anything else.

Just curious to see if there have actually been any failures.

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!
While I agree with asking why, at the same time the shop charged me to key the crank and harmonic for $75 so I think that is why everyone just does it, the shop just puts in one big key and its done.
I am not a engine builder so maybe someone else that knows what they are talking about can chime it.
You can't just put one big key in the crank. There is a step in the crank diameter at the pressed on cam gear. The key would have to be stepped as well. Not exactly cost effective. That said, when I had my crank keyed, I had it keyed under the pressed on gear.

adeso

wait, what?
May 30, 2011
Minot, ND
Sorry moment of retardation-the shop charged the same since they put the key on for the harmonic.
That’s why I said someone smarter than me would chime in :hug:

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
Well my pins are all bent. Never reved over 3400rpm and ran 560hp. Ill be keying my stuff for sure

Mike_S

OOPS!
Nov 18, 2009
Idaho
The machine shop that did my cam couldnt get the crank gear off. He was trying everything he knew, and was worried about making the gear soft with too much heat so we figured that if it wont press off, it shouldnt spin either. My cam pin fell off when i removed the cam gear. I was about 10 miles off from having a catastrophic failure.

x MadMAX DIESEL

<<<< No Horsepower
Dec 30, 2008
Lexington, Ky
I'm curious too. Well more about the cam key. I am having the crank keyed forsure. If the cam really needs keying, my machine shop said the other duramaxs he did only had their crank keyed.

TheBac

Why do I keep doing this?
Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
It shouldnt even be a question. Key both cam and crank. Seen too many cams over the years with bent pins,and its just cheap insurance to do the crank.

Chevy1925

Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
ad97abf5-7c8f-17a5.jpg

ad97abf5-7d51-aea8.jpg

Chevy1925

Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
James, that cam looks just like mine did. Typical of what happens.

Yeah, to be honest. Im glad i bent the rods so i didnt shear the pin. My crank was about the same.

I guess I will key it, I was just looking to save a little penny somewhere. Looks like that may not be the place to do so.

Yeah, really its not all that much when you add all the other stuff up. Im penny pinching too and have done pretty well at it. In the end im lookin to have 6k tied up in the motor including the dual cp3s i bought