Question: How can I enhance my towing experience?

9mmkungfu

Aug 29, 2011
Northern Virginia
I have a 2002 CC/LB 2500HD w/ B&W Class 5 hitch. It has a PPE Stage V transmission and EFI Live tuning from IdahoRob.

I have AirLift bags and BDS springs in the rear, along with a weight distribution and sway control setup for the trailer (enclosed 8.5x20). I'm running E load rated tires.

The tongue weight of the trailer is on the heavy side at around 1200 lbs. There isn't much I can do about that with this trailer because I can't shift the cargo around much. I've never actually weighed the trailer fully loaded, but I would have to guess it's about 9,000 lbs, max.

What can I do to further enhance my towing experience, or is this as good as it gets? I'm not having any issues, but I am open to changing things up this year if it will net some benefit.

9mmkungfu

Aug 29, 2011
Northern Virginia
I guess both. I'd like to just get an idea of what I could do, regardless of budget. Selling the truck and getting something more conducive to towing (a dually, perhaps) is also an option but I'm wondering what can be done with what I have.

The Neens

BFD
Staff member
Aug 10, 2006
Monrovia, Ca.
I had Sulastic Shackles put on our '02 dually, made a very noticeable improvement in ride quality...Both loaded and empty...

Hot COCOAL

May the farce be with you
Jun 9, 2012
Theres a few things i can think of off the top of my head that can enhance the vehicles towing ability

On the chassis side of things:
A set of Hellwig big wig sway bars
Replace your bump stops with a quality set of air bags
Replace the rubber in the leaf pack mounts for a set of Poly bushings
A set of traction bars made a notable difference for me when towing, i have CalTracs but any set of quality traction bars will eliminate axle wrap and make towing easier on the rear end and allow the rear end to stay centered better and keep the axel square to the frame so it will feel like it "walks" less
Add a good set of nitrogen charged oil dampened shocks (rancho, bilstein, fox, QA1...)

A set of new upgraded UCA's up front with poly bushings wouldnt hurt either
All these upgrades will make the platform feel more stable in every situation

On the engine side:
If you haven't yet modified the stock CAI box, that would help a bit...or just spend the money on a GOOD intake and filter..but not all aftermarket filters are good and the stock Donaldson paper filter is pretty awesome

A downpipe would be on my short list if you dont have one already...same with an exhaust, but i would imagine you already have those

IMHO
you can go crazy with bolt ons if you want, but be aware that doing one thing isnt really going to net you all that noticable of gains as one thing compliments anither and untill you wind up upgrading the entire system of parts youre really not going to realize/utilize the full benefit of any one of them

9mmkungfu

Aug 29, 2011
Northern Virginia
Thanks for all the tips guys. It does have an HSP down pipe, Airlift air bags, Bilstein shocks, and AFE airbox.

I guess I'm looking for more pulling power specifically, as it tows fine when on the +200hp tune but was told it is unsafe for towing.

duramaxzak

Wanna be puller!
Nov 22, 2008
Minnesota
Buy an LML! :D If your truck is primarily used for towing. My LML pulls 10X better than my 03' 2500hd ever did. The built in brake controller, turbo brake, stiffer frame and wider stance make it alot better than the previuos trucks. My LML is completely stock, besides air bags. I pull a 25' gooseneck regularly in the summer that's about 13k loaded and it had pleanty of power.

9mmkungfu

Aug 29, 2011
Northern Virginia
Buy an LML! :D If your truck is primarily used for towing. My LML pulls 10X better than my 03' 2500hd ever did. The built in brake controller, turbo brake, stiffer frame and wider stance make it alot better than the previuos trucks. My LML is completely stock, besides air bags. I pull a 25' gooseneck regularly in the summer that's about 13k loaded and it had pleanty of power.

I am thinking about selling the truck and going with a dually. Right now, the truck has a lift and it would be more work than it's worth to swap it back out. I'd rather sell the truck in its current configuration and move to something more tow-friendly, I suppose.

I have thought about this as well but I honestly don't know anything about all of the different turbo configurations. What would be an optimal/ideal twin setup?

NC-smokinlmm

<<<Future tuna killer
May 29, 2011
At Da Beach

X2...

I pull varying size and weight boats everyday and the LML is a complete animal. The torque they produce down low is amazing and the chassis is way more solid feeling...

fast03

Jun 15, 2008
Rancho Cucamonga
9000lbs is not that much weight. I towed 12-13k with my 03 regularly running about
400hp with a single at the wheels. towed great and got 10mpg. That said, my lml tows better due to chassis changes, and probably a little better because of the vvt turbo

9mmkungfu

Aug 29, 2011
Northern Virginia
9000lbs is not that much weight. I towed 12-13k with my 03 regularly running about
400hp with a single at the wheels. towed great and got 10mpg. That said, my lml tows better due to chassis changes, and probably a little better because of the vvt turbo

That's true, but I think the limit with configuration I have (CC/LB/4WD) is about 12,000 lbs. I'm running a DSP5 tune from ATP that includes a "tow" tune and I think it's +75 hp. While it's definitely an improvement over stock, it pales in comparison to the +200 hp tune of course. But that was deemed as not being very tow-safe, so I'd rather not use it.

delong_1

<< my work
Dec 5, 2008
Arvada, CO
That's true, but I think the limit with configuration I have (CC/LB/4WD) is about 12,000 lbs. I'm running a DSP5 tune from ATP that includes a "tow" tune and I think it's +75 hp. While it's definitely an improvement over stock, it pales in comparison to the +200 hp tune of course. But that was deemed as not being very tow-safe, so I'd rather not use it.

if egts stay in check you can use it, thats really the major concern.

DAVe3283

Heavy & Slow
Sep 3, 2009
Boise, ID, USA
if egts stay in check you can use it, thats really the major concern.
x2, I always tow on my big tune, and just watch EGTs. If they start getting too high for comfort, I drop a gear, and that usually takes care of it.

Grizz3500

May 28, 2011
Hauser, Idaho
I tow a 9500# trailer plus (2) ATV's above the bed. Only problem I have is slowing down for uphill corners :thumb:. If you have the want and the coin for a new truck, I say go for it.

handirifle

Apr 21, 2014
You mention you have Robs tunes but what the truck does not have is the VVT and starting late '05 and up, the trucks have them. It's not usable, from the factory, till 2011 models, but with DSP5 tunes it is. I love it on my '06.

Coming down hwy 395 from Mammoth Lakes, is a 10 mile grade. Towing my 11,400lb 5th wheel, I never hit the brakes once. Was cycling between 3rd and 4th gear. Third would slow it too much, so I would have to upshift.

With an LML, you will have more power stock, than your tow tune gives you now, plus WAY better brakes than even the LMM trucks. I think you said the current truck is lifted????

Stock height will ALWAYS be a better tow truck. Stick to stock tires too, better power and MPG. The only downside is more smog crap, with DEF and regens. Big reason I bought an '06 last year.

For MPG keep the foot off the skinny pedal. 55-65 will net the best MPG. Keep the RPM's between 1700-2000 for cruising and keep the RPM's up going up grades. More RPM = more boost = more air to cylinders= lower EGT's. Lugging up hills at 1500-1600 "because it can" will net you an eventual rebuild from melted pistons.

If you don't have them, or if getting a new truck, get them, boost and EGT gauge, and drive by the EGT. Try to keep it around 1100 on grades, but it can safely go to 1200 and spikes to 1300. I have read, but not sure if it's true, that the Duramax can run sustained 1325 with peaks little over 1400. I have no intention of testing that out.