Hot fuel kills my truck.

sprueitt

www.urbansurvivors.com
Feb 14, 2011
Ogden , UT
38654900001_large.jpg

OK , So here is my rig. It has been very reliable....It has reliably left me on the side of the road every time I went on a long trip.:mad: I am towing only 15,000 lbs, and as soon as my fuel tank gets down between 1/2 and 1/8 of a tank the truck will shut down.:confused: This is embarassing and dangerous. I talked to a few diesel pros and they say it is a fuel temp issues, true, my fuel gets hot when down to 1/4 of a tank ( 190 degrees):villagers:. Now this is what is strage, the 2500's and 3500's come with a fuel cooler, but these big trucks 4500, 5500, 6500 do NOT have a fuel cooler....:eek: What was GM thinking????!!!.

Where can I get an aftermarket fuel cooler for these trucks? I have found the OEM fuel cooler on-line for the 2500 but nothing for the 4500+. Anyone have any ideas?

sparepartsracing

spareparts offroad&fab
Mar 17, 2010
i worked on these trucks very little but why not just fab one up from the the 2500..i dont think theres much difference other than where to put it no?:confused:

Gasuout

Johnny
Mar 20, 2008
Santa Ana , Ca.
Sup Brother ,

Never had that issue on mine over the years . Sucks ... sorry to hear that .

Wondered the same thing though and why no cooler .

You could easily make one from a 2500 or take a trans cooler and make it work . Should be very easy to do . Even one with a fan on it .

sprueitt

www.urbansurvivors.com
Feb 14, 2011
Ogden , UT
Thanks for the input. It is difficult to not run the tank that low on long trips because the tanks on these trucks are quite small, and running long distance with only 9 mpg forces me to often be down that low. After it cools down it usually starts back up and runs fine. It is hard to start for a while , If I get cool fuel in it and sit there and prime it for a while then it will start and run as if nothing happend.

What is the return fuel line pressure?

I like the idea of a tranny cooler back by the tank with an electric fan. but I want to make sure I dont get any leaks, so I want to make sure I use the right tubing / line material and clamps. I cant find any info on the pressures I would be dealing with. Any insight?

MACKIN

Smell My Finger...
Aug 14, 2006
Connecticut
People running lift pumps on the supply side are pushing around 10PSI and using regular hose clamps and barbed fittings with no leaks. I'd assume the return fuel has less pressure than that. Any fuel line rated for diesel will be fine IMO.

I say go for it,good luck.

Chevmeister

Big Dooley
Dec 3, 2010
Garnet Valley, Pa
The return should be less than 1psi. The line is open so only restriction will cause pressure. The GM stocker is a few hundred new if you ever have to replace it. I would go with a trans or oil cooler, some good hose clamps, and a small electric fan.

sweetdiesel

That's better
Aug 6, 2006
Thailand
The return should be less than 1psi. The line is open so only restriction will cause pressure. The GM stocker is a few hundred new if you ever have to replace it. I would go with a trans or oil cooler, some good hose clamps, and a small electric fan.

X2!!'

jon5212

Oct 13, 2010
Sounds like you have more issues than just hot fuel if you are having to prime it after you fill to start it. Just my .02.

Gasuout

Johnny
Mar 20, 2008
Santa Ana , Ca.
I was pondering the same thought .... my kodiak hasnt had this issue .

But on a 2nd thought .... been thinking of adding a fuel cooler on mine and using a Mike L 's to do it . Always wondered why there was no fuel cooler on these trucks . Sure couldnt hurt as much fuel as I pass through mine .

keith2500hd

MOTORKILLER
Jul 20, 2008
Burlington,iowa
does the 4500/5500 have the same fuel bucket setup, 1/4 fuel tank sucking air issues. is the camper allows in the bed, if so maybe fab cool air ducting to a fuel cooler. cooling fuel "might" improve mpg, might also consider lift pump. hot fuel and pumping air is probably taking toll on CP3.

Dozerboy

Jun 23, 2009
TX of course
I don't know about hot fuel being the sole issue. According to EFI live the ECM doesn't start pulling fuel out until it hits 230* on the LBZ.

dmaxvaz

wannabe puller
Nov 22, 2006
METRO DETROIT
My trans guy got a bunch of honeywell/garrett coolers with big fittings, if anybody wants one, 50 bucks+ shipping

Last edited: