Allison 5sp: Horrible noise coming from the transmission

Motomike119

Addicted
Dec 28, 2013
Blountville, TN
Left for work and was coming down the hill as the transmission down shifted it started grinding like a set of brakes rubbing metal to metal. As I headed back home it stops when it shifts into 3rd...but I put it in neutral come down a big hill and as soon as it slowed down it started again. Pulled it in the shop and jacked it up. Sounds like it's coming out of the back of the transmission. Pulled the pan and it's full of metal shavings. Cked the fluid level and it was good. But the fill plug had fluid coming out of it when I pulled it. Maybe planetary gears? I've got 235000 miles on it, most have been pulling my trailer about 9000lbs. I know the mountain driving works it sometimes. Just dont have 4 or 5k right now to buy a new one. What's it cost it have it rebuilt with a better torque converter? About the same? I'm going to go ahead and pull it tomorrow.

jkholder09

Jan 8, 2012
Maryland
I have some used hard parts

Maybe its just a bearing

When it goes away in 3rd does it come back in 4th then go away in 5th?

from mobile

Motomike119

Addicted
Dec 28, 2013
Blountville, TN
Looking at the videos, it doesn't look to bad to rebuild.. Just getting the valvebody back in right. Would it hurts to pull it apart? Or will that make it hard for the builder?

Last edited:

jkholder09

Jan 8, 2012
Maryland
You could have a broken c3 clutch plate or something in that clutch.
Or it is a problem with the p2.

All of that can be checked in truck with rear cover removal........but ya got to be good.

from mobile

Edited c3 to checked not changed

Last edited:

Mike L.

Got Sheep?
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Aug 12, 2006
Fullerton CA
You could have a broken c3 clutch plate or something in that clutch.
Or it is a problem with the p2.

All of that can be changed in truck with rear cover removal........but ya got to be good.

from mobile

That's down right dumb as far as advice goes. And you are not that good. Neither is anyone else that tries this shit.
Trans needs to be pulled down completely for inspection and cleaning.

jkholder; I really wish you would stop some of your stupid posts as it does not help people. You seem to push your prowess on people. It may sound impressive to some people that don't know anything looking for honest answers. Problem is you look down right dumb to a professional.
Please rethink some of your tech answers. I know you want to help and sound smart, but you are not getting the answers out here that are needed.
PS
I tried to be kind in my answer instead of saying STFU if you don't know.:D

jkholder09

Jan 8, 2012
Maryland
Well what else is spinning in 1st and second only mike?
I was going off the fact that when u leave the spacer for the planet in a gmax 5 the c3 clutch spins on the splines. Makes a whirring noise 1st and second only.

There are not any parts in the input assy or pump that will cause this iirc. So it can be fixed in truck.

You did not listen to the customer he just wants to fix it inexpensively. Not a whole build. I can do these in truck no sweat.

AlI I can do is pass on my experience honestly.

I do manage to get a bunch of trans fixed all makes and models and have never given up on a thread until the op gets it fixed.

Are you telling me you never built an allison in the truck sir? Or a front wheel drive?
I do it every week.

So its not fair for you to say I am not qualified. I made reasonable statements based on the op's statement amd my experience.

I do appreciate your candor and polite demeanor
Thx
from mobile

Last edited:

IOWA LLY

Yes, its really me
Feb 23, 2007
Never, EVER pull the extension housing off and try to put it back together in the truck. Even if you get lucky and it works, it was still a stupid thing to attempt because you will almost certainly fail. And when you DO FAIL it will destroy all the rear planets in a heartbeat.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

jkholder09

Jan 8, 2012
Maryland
Never, EVER pull the extension housing off and try to put it back together in the truck. Even if you get lucky and it works, it was still a stupid thing to attempt because you will almost certainly fail. And when you DO FAIL it will destroy all the rear planets in a heartbeat.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

I do it and all 3 of my trans techs do it. But yes it is a skill and we are all very experienced.

from mobile

Mike L.

Got Sheep?
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Aug 12, 2006
Fullerton CA
Well what else is spinning in 1st and second only mike?
I was going off the fact that when u leave the spacer for the planet in a gmax 5 the c3 clutch spins on the splines. Makes a whirring noise 1st and second only.

I I can do is pass on my experience.

I do manage to get a bunch of trans fixed all makes and models and have never given up on a thread unyil the op gets it fixed.

Appreciate the input.

Are you telling me you never built an allison in the truck sir? Or a front wheel drive?

from mobile

You don't BUILD a trans from the back or in the car/truck. You fricken patch it and pray cause you ASSumed everything else is ok. The problem is when it fails ( which is often and I'm sure you will deny it) you nail the customer for a complete build after that. When you do this kind of patch; you never get the crap out and it often comes back to haunt you. I'm sure you charge the customer everytime a valve sticks or something else malfunctions.

You're above statement indicates to me that your were and still are an ex dealer hack that's in it for the money. You think you are fast and can get away with this.
I'd love to open up one of your so called built transmissions with camera and witnesses. I would welcome you to do the same to one of mine and post pictures.

PhilsLB7

Way Better Than Facebook
Jun 29, 2009
Tennessee
You're above statement indicates to me that your were and still are an ex dealer hack that's in it for the money. You think you are fast and can get away with this.
I'd love to open up one of your so called built transmissions with camera and witnesses. I would welcome you to do the same to one of mine and post pictures.

Oh snap . . .

:popcorn:

jkholder09

Jan 8, 2012
Maryland
If the customer wants a built trans it is pulled cleaned resealed and done with all new. The customer is charged fairly.
If it is a repair per my atra agreement I make the repair as well as give the customer 3 options.

You give them 1 option mikes way or the highway.

I wish all my customers had a budget like yours but they don't.

I test drive and use my years of skill and knowledge to pin point a problem and like a surgeon I repair as needed. Yes I am very good at it.
Call me what you will but we do really put a nice trans together if its in the budget.

Its a shame you have to sling mud to make yourself feel better.
I would think a man as successful as youself would let his work speak for itsself.

And yes we do a large amount of warranty work for the big fleet contracts. And the trucks just keep going strong. Police cars and local agency front wheel drives etc. 4t65 needle bearing whir...all in car stuff.
Acadia 6t70 35r wave plate failire in car.

I listen to my customers and make suggestions. But I do what they can afford. If there budget does not allow a repair I can stand behind than I do politely walk away. I have been doing it this way for 20 years and if it was such a bad way to do things I am sure I would not have pages of great reviews and a+ ratings from bbb etc.

I did not start this but I do yhink we should end it. I was politely offering help and you veered off topic to slander me sir.

from mobile

Last edited: