LB7: high pitched rattle from oil fill "VIDEOS"

jason86

Marv
Dec 30, 2008
Sacramento, CA
well i have a truck exxon would love to have. it makes oil, i dont have the analysis results as of yet. i have noticed some smoke in my headlights at night also, so i decided to take a look and my vent tube is blowing smoke plus dripping oil on my driveway, so when i remove my oil fill cap i get smoke from there as well. but i also hear a high pitched rattle from the oil fill only when the cap is off which sounds like a piece of metal is rattling around in the engine very quickley.

i have some videos. cell phone so sorry for the quality. definetley coming from inside the vent tube.

http://videos.duramaxdiesels.com/publish/item/9LF7Z33FM4D4VKH9

http://videos.duramaxdiesels.com/publish/item/N3SWBK20XT9CXS2F

jason86

Marv
Dec 30, 2008
Sacramento, CA
#8 is high and this is in drive. i am going to do a comp test this weekend and see if the news is bad. there isnt any pressure coming from the oil fill tube and the smoke really isnt horrible. plus the truck acts perfectly normal except for making oil slowly

just for sh*ts and giggles how much do pistons cost. stock and aftermarket.

thank you guys

Attachments

• balance rates.jpg
    balance rates.jpg
    152.3 KB · Views: 24
Last edited:

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!
I'm gonna guess maybe injectors. By making oil, do you mean your oil level is high? If it has gone too long, it's possible the diluted oil took out the turbo. If that's the case, you will want to get the problem fixed ASAP before you do some damage to the engine's bottom end.

jason86

Marv
Dec 30, 2008
Sacramento, CA
i made about a half gallon in 8 months. i didnt loose a turbo.

if your pistons are cracked/hole will you make oil and not smoke out the tailpipe?

i did just change the oil and i am up about 1/2" from when i put it in last week.

i wish i could park it but i have no choice but to drive it for now

Last edited:

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!
i made about a half gallon in 8 months. i didnt loose a turbo.

if your pistons are cracked/hole will you make oil and not smoke out the tailpipe?

i did just change the oil and i am up about 1/2" from when i put it in last week.

i wish i could park it but i have no choice but to drive it for now
If you're getting extra oil, it's almost certainly a cracked injector body.

SDE

Jul 31, 2009
I would do a compression test, then pull the injectors and have them tested and see if you have a cracked body, I doubt you have a cracked piston. My moneys on the injectors.

Spencer

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!
cracked injectors do not cause blowby and smoke out of the filler neck.
How would a cracked piston cause the oil level to rise? The blowby didn't really look that bad in the video I saw (I think I looked at the second one).

Last edited:

Jared Duramax

<---- $$$ Whore!!
Feb 13, 2008
Matthews NC
if i were you check everything like idler pullys and many other bolt on parts. when my pullys went they sounded just like what you have here. as for gaining oil i would say you have a bad set of injectors

SDE

Jul 31, 2009
cracked injectors do not cause blowby and smoke out of the filler neck.

Yes they can or it can appear that way. If you have an extemely cracked injector body, fuel at that pressure atomizes coming out of the body and exagerates the actual blowby you have. Trust me I've saw it happen. Common Rail Cummins are even worse about it.

Spencer

LBZ

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jul 2, 2007
B.C.
Ya I would lean towards injectors as well as the numbers are all over the map. That and the fact it's an LB7 which are known to have injector issues.

RKTMech

Idiot with a wrench
Aug 18, 2008
The Norco's
As far as the metalic noise from the oil fill, a light rythemic metalic sound is normal if it real loud you might have a problem but a "put your ear kinda close and you can hear it" metal sound is normal.

jason86

Marv
Dec 30, 2008
Sacramento, CA
well i just checked 3 other dmaxs and they all have the sound coming out of the filler neck. so i just freaked out.

how much can i expect to pay for new injectors doing the work myself? i have heard pensacola is hit or miss and i only want to do this once.

warranty wont cover cracked injectors will it? i think it only covers high return rates

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!
If it's still within the 7 yr 200k miles, I would try to get them warrantied.