• LBZ

• LMM

• LML

• L5P

Results are only viewable after voting.

Chevy2005

Feb 5, 2024
USA
eh, headgaskets will blow 125-200k then you stud it and put new gaskets and it will be good to go for another 125-200k miles under normal use. The overheating can be fixed with 180* thermostats and increasing airflow on the intake piping. the lower power can easily be solved by any respectable tuner and can be bumped up to at least 400hp easily. and I have never worried about the FICM as a rarely see them fail

2004LB7

Dec 15, 2010
Norcal
eh, headgaskets will blow 125-200k then you stud it and put new gaskets and it will be good to go for another 125-200k miles under normal use. The overheating can be fixed with 180* thermostats and increasing airflow on the intake piping. the lower power can easily be solved by any respectable tuner and can be bumped up to at least 400hp easily. and I have never worried about the FICM as a rarely see them fail
All true. But by then, you've just made an LBZ 😛

2004LB7

Dec 15, 2010
Norcal
Sorry guys, LB7 all the way.
I almost voted for LB7. But under the valve cover injectors kinda soured it for me. Even with the newer SAC injectors, you still have to pull the covers to get to them. And their solenoids have failed me several times which SAC doesn't solve. But so close. The tuning and simplicity of the package gives it a lot though
LBZ/LMM is my go too
I can do LMM as an alternative to LBZ. Sure the DPF can be a pain sometimes. But way better then the DEF trucks.

If you do as I did and put V band clamps on the DPF so you can easily turn it around once every few years you'll never have ash build up. Plus having smoke free acceleration is kinda nice. Regens are still a little weird with the slightly different engine and transmission behavior. But tolerable

malibu795

misspeelleerr
Apr 28, 2007
in the buckeye state
I almost voted for LB7. But under the valve cover injectors kinda soured it for me. Even with the newer SAC injectors, you still have to pull the covers to get to them. And their solenoids have failed me several times which SAC doesn't solve. But so close. The tuning and simplicity of the package gives it a lot though

Back in 07/08 time frame I partially cracked a crank and split #2/#4 main webs 1/2-3/4 way up cylinder wall on a LB7 due to injector failure, GM replaced the injectors but not the rest of the engine.

It held 40psi of oil while spilling diesel out the crank case breathers 🤦🏻‍♂️

Reactions: 2004LB7

PureHybrid

Isuzu Shakes IT
Feb 15, 2012
Central OH
01 / 02 Chevy body with LBZ engine. Honestly I'd love the LMM platform if GM just skipped to the 2015 body. I like my LLY and it hadn't let me down until the FICM roasted, but I'd rather have an LBZ drive train

2004LB7

Dec 15, 2010
Norcal
all fair points, but surprised about the lb7 vote
The relative simplicity of the LB7 is very desirable. Minimal or no emissions equipment. No turbo vanes to jamb up or restrict exhaust, Tuning is pretty straightforward with less tables and tweaks needed to get good power. Arguably the best MPG.

So, despite it's flaws it's quite a good engine

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
02 LB7 will always be my fave. The option/finding a roadrunner ecm to tune on the fly is awesome. Simplistic tuning. Runs cooler than later models even when tuned (this can be argued though). Best looking body imho. Simple electronics (very very little CAN unlike 03+). No vgt (lack of turbo brake kinda sucks but fixable). No emissions bs if federal emission.

And any part of its “dislikes” can be changed to the better/newer style. I know, been there done that

Bdsankey

Vendor
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 1, 2018
Neenah, Wisconsin
LB7 got my vote, specifically 01-02 due to body styling are my favorite. They're simple pre-emissions trucks (federal) that simply do what they're told. They don't really suffer from any dumb failures outside of early common rail injection tech that has been remedied by SAC nozzles in my opinion.