Allison 5sp: Help with P0776 I have a scantool and some knowledge

braxx

Feb 22, 2014
Dearborn Heights, Michigan
Hello,
I’m sorry about my first post being a novel but I’m looking for a little assistance and I figure the more info the better.
2002 Chevy Silverado 4X4 - VIN# 1CGHK23G92F117982 (PCM VIN: 1GBJC39G71F100063 appears that the PCM has been replaced at some time before I bought the truck)
8.1L GAS with a Allison 5spd transmission, 135,000 miles
I’ve owned it for 4 years and just over the last month it has started to intermittently throw a P0776 code.
What trips the code:
Cold start in the morning (I'm in S.E. Michigan) OR after sitting a few hours in cold weather. I remote start the truck, let it run for about 4-5min. Get in and drive to the nearest main road about 5 blocks away, no problems but I only get to 3rd gear and about 30mph. I get on the main road and try to accelerate up to around 50mph. About 75-80% of the time it will try the 3-4 shift but only for a brief second and then it will shift back to 3rd and stay in 3rd. Engine light will come on and it will stay in 3rd even if I come to a complete stop. I can shift to park, reverse, neutral and drive. They all work except drive is only 3rd gear. I have to come to a stop, shift to park , shut the engine off, restart and then put it in drive and it will then almost always shift normally through all gears up to 5th. The problem pretty much won’t happen again until another cold start (at least 3 hours in cold temps).
This morning it was fine starting and getting on the freeway (got to 5th) drove 10 miles to work and shut it off. Came out 3hrs later (35deg outside) cold start, drive a few blocks to the freeway without a problem but might not of gotten to 4th gear by then. Turned on to freeway on ramp, trans shifted normally until the 3-4 shift and it acted up. Acted like it wanted to go to 4th but settled back to 3rd and the rpm’s were up there. I pulled off at the next exit, pulled over and placed the shifter in park, shut the engine off, restarted and drove away, got back on the freeway and it shifted fine up to 5th. Most of the time it will not acted up after the first initial 3-4 shift/restart. I’m pretty sure I can drive it all day stop and go and it not act up again until a cold restart.
I replaced the SOF as soon as the problem started with no change. I do not accelerate fast, I don’t tow with it. It hasn’t been “hopped up” in any way. I actually baby the truck. The problem can happen in 2wd or 4wd and with tow/haul button on or off. I have a OTC Genisys EVO that I can hook up and monitor the sensors but I need to know what to look for.
From some of the threads I’ve ready I should:
Watch the output speed sensor for drop outs or glitches (Should I / Can I compare the OSS output to other sensors at the same time to help diagnose?)
Pull out the rear most transfer case mounted output speed sensor and stick my pinky in the hole to see if that wheel is loose.

Any other suggestions?

Thanks,
Josh

By the way, here is my first attempt to "see" what was wrong. What do I need to load up on the screen to see at once.

Attachments

• 2014-02-21 17.56.32.jpg
    2014-02-21 17.56.32.jpg
    121.2 KB · Views: 21

Mike L.

Got Sheep?
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Aug 12, 2006
Fullerton CA
Try letting it warm up longer as you have defective sealing rings which cause converter drain back. It will take a while longer to fill the system properly as too much fluid drained out after sitting. The P0776 code is a tie up. ( 2 gears at once ) Happens quite often with a stock trans and power programmer. It also can mean that your trans needs to be built. Bad speed sensors can cause this along with a bad transfer case.

braxx

Feb 22, 2014
Try letting it warm up longer as you have defective sealing rings which cause converter drain back. It will take a while longer to fill the system properly as too much fluid drained out after sitting. The P0776 code is a tie up. ( 2 gears at once ) Happens quite often with a stock trans and power programmer. It also can mean that your trans needs to be built. Bad speed sensors can cause this along with a bad transfer case.

Well, it happened today even when trans temp was 102deg and 15 min of engine running. Bone stock engine with no power programmer. Trans was rebuilt 50k ago and transfer case was replaced at that time due to pump rub.

What are the things I should look for with scantool hooked up?

Thank you so much for helping me.

Mike L.

Got Sheep?
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Aug 12, 2006
Fullerton CA
Why was the trans rebuilt with a stock engine? That is not normal. Question is; was the problem found or was it just refreshed with the same problem left in the trans to happen again?

braxx

Feb 22, 2014
Why was the trans rebuilt with a stock engine? That is not normal. Question is; was the problem found or was it just refreshed with the same problem left in the trans to happen again?

Previous owner said the T-case was leaking (Pump rub) took it into a buddies trans shop. Shop said the t-case was leaking/rubbed through. They said while they figure out the repair (Didn't know if they were gonna get a new case, reman unit, junk yard unit etc...) they offered to go through the trans for a reduced cost because 1) He was a friend. 2) They were slow.
I got the receipt for it all. I'll have to pull it out and see if there were any notes but I do remember asking about why the t-case and trans rebuild happened at only around 80K miles and he told me the above info. He said there were no issues with the trans but freshened it up any way.

Any how, I just took the truck out to the local store and it did it again.
Truck had been running for at least 20 min driving through the sub division and then waiting at the store while my wife ran in. Pulled out on the main road and the first time I got up to speed and it tried the 3-4 shift it limped out back to 3rd. I drove it till the next stop light, shut it off and restarted it and drove away without issue. Even shifted up to 5th (60mph).
Engine temp was over 200 and trans temp was over 100.

I hope to god I don't need the trans rebuilt. I'm gonna check the ISS/OSS info and see if I can fix it.
Thanks for the help
Josh

braxx

Feb 22, 2014
Well, now I'm starting to think it's a T-case issue.
I just went out to move the truck from the street and into the drive way. I got stuck on a bit of ice/snow and I put it into 4wd Hi and got it unstuck. Drove around the block and couldn't get it to go back into 2wd. The 2wd light was on but I could tell it was still in 4wd. Tried everything, park, neutral, driving fwd/backward. 4wd low, 4 hi, 2 wd even tried to "neutral" the transfer case. Finally after a little fiddling it went back to 2wd but then the service 4wd light came on.
Argh... more to look at tomorrow.