LLY: Help Lly p0016

brokesmoker

Dec 3, 2010
Virginia
Can anyone give me any insight on this issue, 04.5 lly truck crank is not broken we have torn it down and checked it, new reluctor wheel put on it tonight soon as it started it threw the code immediately but it still runs fine? Any help appreciated

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

brokesmoker

Dec 3, 2010
Virginia
Truck reluctor came loose week or two ago so tore down and fixed it. truck has been running fine let it sit a week scanned out of curiosity and found p0016. Truck seems to idle fine and take throttle fine. So I pulled down and put a whole new reluctor tonight thinking maybe Damaged or bent when it came loose. When I started it code came right back but still runs and drives fine

brokesmoker

Dec 3, 2010
Virginia
What exactly you mean it reads rpm and says no pluses missed and cam the same no pluses missed and both reading on snap on solus ultra and v2.

Burn Down

Hotrodder
Sep 14, 2008
Boise Idaho
Tried a new sensor yet? Looked the plug and wiring over carefully around the front of the engine? Plug clean, no grease or oil in it?

brokesmoker

Dec 3, 2010
Virginia
Yeah unfortunately I have two of these trucks and tried both sensors from a running truck and we have checked wiring visually but I haven’t gotten to dig into it yet since I assumed it was a reluctor issue but I will dig into wiring tomorrow

Burn Down

Hotrodder
Sep 14, 2008
Boise Idaho
Well Id start with verifying the plug and wiring are good and go from there. The code didn't show up until after the reluctor came loose correct?

brokesmoker

Dec 3, 2010
Virginia
Correct at least To my knowledge truck died then no rpm signal pulled sensor and found loose wheel and it’s been around ever since but it has a different crank sensor in it now also

brokesmoker

Dec 3, 2010
Virginia
Yes sir did all that and even counted 57 tooth reluctor 3 bolt hole unit and gear off of another lly engine I have took it straight off that crank straight to mine

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
If you put everything together right, I would look at the pins in the crank and cam. If they have started to bend or just started to sheer, I could very well see this setting this code. It’s a correlation code so either the crank gear or cam gear is off in timing

Burn Down

Hotrodder
Sep 14, 2008
Boise Idaho
If you put everything together right, I would look at the pins in the crank and cam. If they have started to bend or just started to sheer, I could very well see this setting this code. It’s a correlation code so either the crank gear or cam gear is off in timing

Thunder stealer:D

brokesmoker

Dec 3, 2010
Virginia
I feel confident that i assembled it back correctly, I have done this before with good results this one just has me stumped but I will check wiring tomorrow and go from there

Veikra

Dec 19, 2011
Montreal, Canada
sorry I stopped looking for it as I blew my injection pump.

I still have that issue, can't feel anything loose and the wiring proven good without dismantling the connectors...

I'm starting to think it's a sign of computer failure from old age

Veikra

Dec 19, 2011
Montreal, Canada
Little follow-up. I replaced my injection pump and injectors while at it. Still have that p0016. Truck sounds exactly the same and still takes a few turns to start. My guess is with the oil pump gear(the one on the crankshaft which also holds the reluctor) pin being torn and jammed, so my timing is off but it doesnt spin on the crank freely.

Only way to know is a scope, but most mecanic dont have that in my area. I heard of a guy in montreal called Glenn that is very knowledgeable but I dont have his number. Maybe he has a scope?

Otherwise, My only option is to open it up and see. what's the size of that pin and is there any 'kit' to adress that issue? When I open it, I want to able to fix it right there and then

Post your reputable Montreal duramax builder/mecanics here

Veikra

Dec 19, 2011
Montreal, Canada
You need to log the cmp and ckp signal wires with a scope to see what's going on.

That's what I said earlier in the post.

Only way to know is a scope, but most mecanic dont have that in my area. I heard of a guy in montreal called Glenn that is very knowledgeable but I dont have his number. Maybe he has a scope?

I don't have access to independant mecanic that has a scope around here. ASide from the stealership who straight up said theyd replace the ecm before using a scope