Heavy towing upgrades?

1FastBrick

Dec 1, 2016
Junkyard
@Chevy1925 I forgot this was for an LB7 application so this is one the dmax store offers that you were referring to?

Bdsankey

Vendor
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 1, 2018
Neenah, Wisconsin
The PPE 01-05 model looks very promising, I hadn't seen their new bar-and-plate core version for 5spds until now.

Time to order one for testing it sounds like. I'll be able to do some back-to-back comparisons on my LB7. It'll be later this year but I'll gladly give it a shot.

2004LB7

Dec 15, 2010
Norcal
The PPE 01-05 model looks very promising, I hadn't seen their new bar-and-plate core version for 5spds until now.

Time to order one for testing it sounds like. I'll be able to do some back-to-back comparisons on my LB7. It'll be later this year but I'll gladly give it a shot.
It looks very promising. Much better price then the setrab one too

1FastBrick

Dec 1, 2016
Junkyard
SetrabUSA has them and are ready for sale" Yes, $590.53 each". So anyone wanting one can have one if you're willing to do the work.
Yes, as you found out, you have to call directly with the part number. It was a custom built cooler with mounting tabs. Not a standard off the shelf part.

And I thought I paid alot when I bought one...

For the 06-10 application, I wonder how the Sub-zero unit from Dmax store that I posted earlier does. The core is like 2.75 inches thick... the standard artc is like 1.75 and the factory I believe is 1.25 inch thick.

1689382606130.png1689382619024.png

Last edited:

2004LB7

Dec 15, 2010
Norcal

Any idea of the actual core dimensions?

LBZ

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jul 2, 2007
B.C.
I’m using the Sterab trans cooler and tow heavier than you will be over big mountains frequently and have zero trans temp problems.

Airbags will definitely help and make sure one of your tunes is safe enough to tow with. Make sure you have an egt gauge and watch it closely. My truck was stock turbo until last weekend and my limiting factor was egt’s. I would basically watch it constantly and drive accordingly.
What turbo did you go with and what year of truck?

Delta.Speed

Mar 26, 2022
@Chevy1925 I forgot this was for an LB7 application so this is one the dmax store offers that you were referring to?
That sub zero cooler does look very promising with those dimensions.

Definitely added to my research list. Thanks for that.

Sent from my SM-S908U1 using Tapatalk

Delta.Speed

Mar 26, 2022
Are you towing 16k pounds total or 16k pounds on a 8-9k pound gooseneck? 25k is a lot of weight for that truck. . . . .
The exact amount of what I will be able to tow is still to be determined.

Since I'm gonna have to be pulling into weigh stations, I have to abide by DOT weight regulations.

From what I've researched and been told, they dont give a d@mn about manufacturer towing capacity numbers.

What they'll be looking at is combined GAWR.

My limiting factor is gonna be the rear axle. It cannot exceed 6084 lbs.

Ive got a lot of trailer because my trailer is rated at 24,000 lbs, but I have to watch how much I'm loading the rear axle to stay legal.

I bought a BW Safe Load ball with the dial on it to help when loading.

My plan is to take the truck and trailer to a weight station empty to figure out how much weight is on that rear axle with just the trailer. Whatever is left from there to the max rear GAWR is how much I gotta watch for on the ball dial when loading.

Positioning of loads on the trailer is also going to be crucial.

The truck will definitely limit me a lot starting out, but all I need is 3-4 months out of it.

If the math maths after that I see a pre 2018 Ram 3500 6.7 manual in my future.

From what I've seen they seem to have the highest rear GAWR of the big three.