Head Gaskets or Injector Cups?

trailshredder

Apr 20, 2009
Took about a 1000 mile trip pulling about 15,000#. Working it pretty good in the mountains of PA. My low coolant light came on. When I stopped to check it, it was low and had a bunch of pressure in it. The upper hose was so hard and full of pressure it was swelling larger that the thermostat housing pipe. It is definitely building pressure and blowing out the bottle. I ended up using about 2 gallons of coolant the whole trip. My first (and worst) thought was head gasket but it is holding temperature right at about 200. Thought a head gasket would cause the temperature to go up and down? There doesn't appear to be any coolant in the oil or oil in the coolant. Any thoughts why I am building so much pressure in the cooling system? Truck sat for about 18 hours and the hose was still as hard as it was when I shut it down last night.

LBZ

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jul 2, 2007
B.C.
Moved Here.

That's a tough one. Could be either or.

Gut feeling is a head gasket though....

Last edited:

Mike_S

OOPS!
Nov 18, 2009
Idaho
there really isn't any way to tell which it is...short of tearing it all down. it is said that if you pull the injectors and a cup comes out with the injector then that cup was leaking. For my peace of mind, I would re-seal everything that could be the culprit...meanin I would do both jobs headgaskets and re-seal the injector cups as well.

68skylark455

Larry the "Stroker"
Aug 7, 2008
Texas
www.larrysperformancepalace.com
They are both right. We drove to tucson and back. Low coolant light, added coolant the whole trip, no overheating, no coolant in oil. tore it down and 3rd cyl back pass side had coolant coming out of it. the header and tail pipe were full of coolant. could not prove either way so we are doing headgaskets and cups, orings the whole thing just to be sure.

68skylark455

Larry the "Stroker"
Aug 7, 2008
Texas
www.larrysperformancepalace.com
Everyone has a different opinion about doing them in or out of the truck. Right now we are doing them in the truck. The back bolts on the driverside valve cover and lower headbolt are a pain in the but but not to bad. The cp3 is very easy with all the crap out of the way while doing headgaskets. There is a thread in the gm tech/vin section with all the specs and even some pics, very helpful. Also, any one of us will answer any questions we can for you.

Jared Duramax

<---- $$$ Whore!!
Feb 13, 2008
Matthews NC
honestly get the parts for both then tear into it if the cups come out then that was your problem. if none come out then put new head gaskets in

Mike_S

OOPS!
Nov 18, 2009
Idaho
honestly get the parts for both then tear into it if the cups come out then that was your problem. if none come out then put new head gaskets in

And then be pissed off when you get it all put back together and find out it was both and the head gasket is still leaking. Honestly, if I'm gonna tear something down, I would cover all the bases and be done with it. Trying to half-ass things to save money almost always ends up costing you more in the end.

REDHOSS02

hard n heavy
Jan 14, 2009
F U im from TEXAS
I had the same problem and some said cups and some said headgaskets! Come to find out it was a cracked head thanks to 2500heavyduty we found the issue. good luck with everything though if i can help let me know!