Has anyone bent aftermarket rods?

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!
Damn, Simon. That's really shitty. Sorry to hear it. How many sets of those rods are out there? You're the only one I've heard of that is using them. What are you going back with?

sweetdiesel

That's better
Aug 6, 2006
Thailand
Damn, Simon. That's really shitty. Sorry to hear it. How many sets of those rods are out there? You're the only one I've heard of that is using them. What are you going back with?

Howards due to convience there is another customers set on the shelf that doesn't need them right away

Called cuninham and I'm going to send them back to them
They made 3 sets total for the dmax

ripmf666

Sep 20, 2006
Wentzville Mo
If it wasnt the pistons that gave you issues when you built the motor then the freeze plugs in the back of the block and now the rods.

MACKIN

Smell My Finger...
Aug 14, 2006
Connecticut
WOW!

You said they made only 3 sets ,do you know the other individuals running them? I'm assuming you did your homework what made you go with them instead of the other 'known' rods?

Mika

Bastardo Finlandias
Oct 25, 2008
Finland
When I last winter open my engine, rods were straight, but piston pins were way out of clearances in middle and rods need new bushings. Gonna check soon how rods and new pins took last summers abuse.

bullfrogjohnson

Big Girl!
Nov 20, 2006
Locust, NC
I know some one that has bent a couple crowers. Most bent billet rods are from a hydrolock scenario. Were you loosing coolant or possibly have a leaking injector? How do the cylinder walls look?

McRat

Diesel Hotrodder
Aug 2, 2006
Norco CA
www.mcratracing.com
First year at Bonneville, I stuck 2 Crowers through the block when the pistons failed. One rod twisted a couple degrees, but eye-to-eye distance was fine, about .002" shorter than the other seven.

When we take apart an engine to rebuild it, I measure the rods on a CMM (very accurate measuring machine), and neither the Crower or Carrillos saw any significant distortion.