Allison 5sp: Harsh 4-5 shift or harsh lockup?

Devon

broke my curse
May 2, 2010
Hinsdale ma
Just bought a 04 lly with a built Trans by big dipper,truck has all the basics, efilive,lift pump,ect. Noticed only when WOT when the truck shifts from 4-5 I belive, it's really harsh. Either that or it's when ye converter locks up. Not sure what converter the tranny has. This issue does not happen when 1/2 throttle or even 3/4 throttle.. Maybe needs to be relearned? Any idea? Truck shifts perfect any other time. Efi live is by Idaho rob.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HDdave

Nov 16, 2010
Wilmington, NC
Just bought a 04 lly with a built Trans by big dipper,truck has all the basics, efilive,lift pump,ect. Noticed only when WOT when the truck shifts from 4-5 I belive, it's really harsh. Either that or it's when ye converter locks up. Not sure what converter the tranny has. This issue does not happen when 1/2 throttle or even 3/4 throttle.. Maybe needs to be relearned? Any idea? Truck shifts perfect any other time. Efi live is by Idaho rob.

Well son of a B... Mine does the EXACT same thing as yours. What converter do you have in it? Precision? I have been thinking thats the problem with mine. I have been meaning to contact him about my issue just have not got to it yet. I feel like every time it locks my flex plate is going to snap in half

HDdave

Nov 16, 2010
Wilmington, NC
Funny enough I actually got on mine from 60 at WOT the other day, and when the converter locked back up around 85mph it did the same harsh shift. Thats why I believe its a converter issue....

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
Funny enough I actually got on mine from 60 at WOT the other day, and when the converter locked back up around 85mph it did the same harsh shift. Thats why I believe its a converter issue....

Your converter shouldnt be locking in at 85 doin a 60 roll at wot. It should be locked in right after you nail the throttle

HDdave

Nov 16, 2010
Wilmington, NC
Your converter
I am hoping I can text him and all will go smoothly and I can get a 1057 or something in there. I'll let yall know how that turns out.

Just saw your edit... I have no idea whether it was the converter for sure or not. I am by no means a transmission genius. I just know their basics. Either way, something happened at 85-90 ish that made the whole truck jump scared the shit out of me. And the engine never skips a beat so thats not the problem, so process of elimination says trans.

Last edited:

Mike L.

Got Sheep?
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Aug 12, 2006
Fullerton CA
I am hoping I can text him and all will go smoothly and I can get a 1057 or something in there. I'll let yall know how that turns out.

Just saw your edit... I have no idea whether it was the converter for sure or not. I am by no means a transmission genius. I just know their basics. Either way, something happened at 85-90 ish that made the whole truck jump scared the shit out of me. And the engine never skips a beat so thats not the problem, so process of elimination says trans.

If something happened at that speed it wasn't the trans.

HDdave

Nov 16, 2010
Wilmington, NC
I mean I am not doubting you, but I do know the rpms dropped after this happened. Really felt to me like something was happening in the trans. Its only ever done that once.... Every other time it acts EXACTLY like the OP's trans does. Only at WOT, right around same shift. Don't want to get the focus off the main problem we are both having here...

Devon

broke my curse
May 2, 2010
Hinsdale ma
I just hope it's nothing where I have to spend alot of money to fix. Any other time driving the truck it is fine. I will start with a relearn and go from there. I shot George a text so we will see. I got to figure out what converter is in the truck. My 6spd never had a issue like I'm having with this.

juddski88

Freedom Diesel
Jul 1, 2008
Chesterfield, Mass.
also consider: you just bought this truck, you don't know what's in it exactly for a tune or trans parts or what else may be wrong....it may not even be an "issue"

bullfrogjohnson

Big Girl!
Nov 20, 2006
Locust, NC
I just hope it's nothing where I have to spend alot of money to fix. Any other time driving the truck it is fine. I will start with a relearn and go from there. I shot George a text so we will see. I got to figure out what converter is in the truck. My 6spd never had a issue like I'm having with this.

Get under the truck and remove the bellhousing inspection cover. See what color the converter is painted. If its dark grey its Suncoast; black or light purple its Precision; dark purple its ATS.

Who did you buy the truck from? That may help also.

HDdave

Nov 16, 2010
Wilmington, NC
also consider: you just bought this truck, you don't know what's in it exactly for a tune or trans parts or what else may be wrong....it may not even be an "issue"

Honestly my truck acts exactly the same as his. I have had it looked over more than once by a very reputable shop. Have had different tuning, had my tuning adjusted, pressures checked on the trans pump, changed fluid, changed filters.. I've tried just about everything I can without taking it back to George.. I don't think its anything he did at all. Just think its an off converter. Take a look and see whats in yours I would be very interested to know. I know this issue will be resolved in the end b/c I didn't spend damn near 5 grand to have something not work 100% correct.

I highly doubt its ATS. I know George does not use their parts. It would have exploded a long time ago if it was ats..

Evan@InglewoodTrans

yerp
Vendor/Sponsor
Aug 5, 2010
Western MA
Honestly my truck acts exactly the same as his. I have had it looked over more than once by a very reputable shop. Have had different tuning, had my tuning adjusted, pressures checked on the trans pump, changed fluid, changed filters.. I've tried just about everything I can without taking it back to George.. I don't think its anything he did at all. Just think its an off converter. Take a look and see whats in yours I would be very interested to know. I know this issue will be resolved in the end b/c I didn't spend damn near 5 grand to have something not work 100% correct.

I highly doubt its ATS. I know George does not use their parts. It would have exploded a long time ago if it was ats..

Why are you having other people look at it when George built it? What did he say about your issue?

HDdave

Nov 16, 2010
Wilmington, NC
Because I know he is busy and I wanted to check out all other possibilities before I go back or drive my ass 6 hours to MD. I could a.) be a dumbass and just drive it, not try to figure out the issue and let it blow up or b.) do my best to make sure everything else is fine, then if all else fails take it back and see whats up before it does explode and ruin the whole trans instead of just a simple converter swap

x MadMAX DIESEL

<<<< No Horsepower
Dec 30, 2008
Lexington, Ky
I agree. I live 4+ hours away from my builder and I would have it looked at locally by someone I trust rather than driving all that way. I had a bad ML in mine, so its not impossible to have a defect overlooked.

juddski88

Freedom Diesel
Jul 1, 2008
Chesterfield, Mass.
George is never too busy to help a customer man. he doesn't just know the allison either, he knows these trucks well and can help you diagnose whats really going on

Evan@InglewoodTrans

yerp
Vendor/Sponsor
Aug 5, 2010
Western MA
Because I know he is busy and I wanted to check out all other possibilities before I go back or drive my ass 6 hours to MD. I could a.) be a dumbass and just drive it, not try to figure out the issue and let it blow up or b.) do my best to make sure everything else is fine, then if all else fails take it back and see whats up before it does explode and ruin the whole trans instead of just a simple converter swap

Or C ask George what he thinks it might be.

HDdave

Nov 16, 2010
Wilmington, NC
I agree. I live 4+ hours away from my builder and I would have it looked at locally by someone I trust rather than driving all that way. I had a bad ML in mine, so its not impossible to have a defect overlooked.

Sorry for your luck, I have a feeling my issue is the same but we will see. I will be contacting him this week.

George is never too busy to help a customer man. he doesn't just know the allison either, he knows these trucks well and can help you diagnose whats really going on

I understand this. I am just not one to go barking up someones tree untill I am sure that I need to. Theres no question my shop knows what they are talking about.

juddski88

Freedom Diesel
Jul 1, 2008
Chesterfield, Mass.
if youre talking about blackout, i totally agree. but a lot can happen between tuning and converter lockup....or tuning and clutch pack clearances...and with many hands in the fire, it makes things more difficult, thats all. id just start with george's opinion and work my way down

Devon

broke my curse
May 2, 2010
Hinsdale ma
I bought the truck off of extreme2500hd. Truck runs solid, everything is pretty much mechanically sound. He had dropped the truck off to George and had him do the Trans and M/A pump rub fix. I will call George tomorow and ask what he thinks is going on. I know he takes very good care of his customers and will do anything to make them happy. I personally though the Trans may need to be reset and relearned. This guy lives 10 mins from NYC and all stop and go traffic. I assumed it wasn't to often that he did WOT 1-5 gear pulls. Every gear shifts like clockwork with the exception of that harsh lock up. Definatly gives me a weird feeling lol. I just don't want to pay 1200 or whatever for a converter that may have been defective who knows.