Question: Hard Steering

Dave Burley

Jul 26, 2010
Hello everyone, I have a lifted 2007 2500HD with a Duramax LMM and have modified it alot, I have lifted it up and installed 40" tires now when I am trying to steer in a parking lot the steering locks up and almost won't turn, has anyone had this issue and if so how did you correct it, Please reply Dave.

wes06dmax

Feb 23, 2009
South Central Kentucky
Either something is getting in a bind with your lift kit or you are having power steering pump or hydroboost issues sorry Im not much help but these are the 3 things I would check out

wdino73

Sep 25, 2009
Versailles, Ky
just my 2 cents the truck needs to be rolling even just alittle before u start turning the wheel,, I'm not saying u don't know that but that is the cause of alot of premature front end damage, especially on lifted rigs... IMO

Last edited:

DAVe3283

Heavy & Slow
Sep 3, 2009
Boise, ID, USA
I wish GM would bring back stronger power steering. I have an '82 Chevy and the steering is 10x nicer at low speeds than my '03. I love it. I don't know what all the BS is in magazines now like "the steering has good feedback, pleasantly firm at highway speeds" and all that crap.

I miss being able to steer with one finger, weather I am stopped or doing 120. My '82 will go from lock to lock with your little finger, while parked. And the steering will never work against you off road. My duramax takes 2 hands to steer when stopped, and you feel every rock try to rip the wheel out of your hands. :mad:

In my opinion, the only good feedback is NO feedback. And why should I work hard to steer the truck. That's the whole point of power steering, right? Heck, my brother's 280z (with MANUAL steering) is easier to turn than my duramax. :screwy:

So if you find an easy fix to this, please let us know! There's got to be a simple (or reasonably cheap) fix to this.

Dave Burley

Jul 26, 2010
Sorry I have not got back to everyone but thanks for your ideas, while the truck is moving even a bit there are no issue, just when you are trying to get out of a tight parking spot, I am going to try some things and get back to everyone, Thanks.

billdunn83

BAMF
Nov 8, 2011
SEPA
get with lance at PSC he will take care of you. with 40's you have to do something to the steering your stock gear box won't handle that, although your stock pump should be a saginaw which is plenty. I went through all this on my jeep. I got a new gear box from PSC and now it is 1 finger steering when I am stopped and I haven't even installed my ram yet.

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
You can thank GM for our weak ass pump.

I cant even turn my 285/50/20's while im stopped. :rolleyes:

Its not in the pump, its in the shitty steering box we have. their inspection tolerances consist of "that looks close enough" and thye slap them together.

Sorry I have not got back to everyone but thanks for your ideas, while the truck is moving even a bit there are no issue, just when you are trying to get out of a tight parking spot, I am going to try some things and get back to everyone, Thanks.

Flush and put some good syntheic power steering fluid in it ( I use BG and have great luck with it), make sure your box is in good shape (not loose, no leaks, doesnt give any weird sounds), Make sure your idler/pitman arm have NO play (it will cause steering bind), and recheck from there. you should see a noticable difference but may or may not fully fix the issue. If it doesnt, then send your steering box off to PCS like Bill says and you will have a great steering truck. Im on 37s with just the stuff i mentioned above minus a PSC box and can turn the wheel from lock to lock with minimal effort (not 1 finger though, but very easy).

You do not need to modify the power steering pump and dont recommend it since it also drives your hydroboost. 95% of the issues ive seen have been steering box related while others feel its a pump issue

Yeti

Apr 23, 2016
Hi everyone,

I have a stock 2008 Chevy 3500Hd dully. When I am trying to maneuver the truck the steering gets very hard when my foot is on the break. I had the break boost replaced, pump, gear box, hoses and fluid. The truck is still very hard to turn. Please help.

Dozerboy

Jun 23, 2009
TX of course
It's a pretty common complaint about most diesel pickups. You have already done most of the things that help. All thats left is learning to live with it like by not trying to turn at a full stop. If you don't mind spending the $$ PSC makes upgraded parts or there is hyd steering

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Awenta

Sep 28, 2014
CT
Ok thanks that is great input, I will try this and let everyone know how it works out.
Hopefully it's better by now

Hi everyone,

I have a stock 2008 Chevy 3500Hd dully. When I am trying to maneuver the truck the steering gets very hard when my foot is on the break. I had the break boost replaced, pump, gear box, hoses and fluid. The truck is still very hard to turn. Please help.

Specs on the truck? Lifted, lowered, tires size? How are the steering parts? Sure your pitman or idler aren't binding. Most new steering boxes are garbage anyway.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Yeti

Apr 23, 2016
The problem I have is that I pull a large trailer with this truck and at times you need to be able to turn the wheel with the truck not moving what is hyd steering and would upgraded parts fix the problem or is it just a flaw in the design?

c20elephant

C20ELEPHANT
Apr 25, 2013
Phoenix, Arizona
Hopefully it's better by now

Specs on the truck? Lifted, lowered, tires size? How are the steering parts? Sure your pitman or idler aren't binding. Most new steering boxes are garbage anyway.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

No worries for me and I have a local rebuilder, I'm keeping my OEM to have rebuilt when the time comes I also have a 100,000 mile leak free core I bought awhile back. Going to have it rebuilt so I have less down time and still keep my OEM gear in case the first plan fails...:thumb:

Hi everyone,

You should have the upgraded pump, GM went from a 10 to a 12 vane in the LMM trucks, (2008 might still have the old style pump) who rebuilt the gear, and is a new pump or rebuilt.? I would suspect the gear at this point not being the problem. Mine is a 2x4 and used to have a slight growl in parking lot maneuvers but not after I switched the pressure valve at the pump when I replaced the hoses. What was the steering like prior to replacing the parts.?

Last edited: