Guessing cops allowed to give speeding tickets in Ohio

Poltergeist

Ghost in the Machine
Aug 1, 2006
Ontario, Calif.
www.poltergeist.us
For once it's not in California:

Bad news, Buckeyes. The Ohio Supreme Court just ruled that a police officer needs nothing more than his or her informed guess on how fast a vehicle is traveling in order to issue a traffic citation. Yep. You can forget the radar gun, LIDAR or even the archaic pacing method. As of right now, officers can merely say that you're exceeding the posted speed limit and you'll be stuck with points on your license and a hefty fine to deal with. If that sounds more crooked than a Jersey car salesman, it gets better.

Turns out, officers have to go through very little training in order to properly gauge a vehicle's speed by eye. According to The Plain Dealer, visual assessment is only a portion of the five-hour course on traffic enforcement. Instructors bring recruits to various traffic situations and have them guess speeds. The instructor then checks the guesses against what the radar gun says and calculates the difference.

So let that be a fair warning to natives and passer-bys alike. Leave the cruise control on and don't bother trying to argue if you should happen to get cozy with one of Ohio's finest. It's their word against yours.

rmallen30

Aug 12, 2009
hillsboro ohio
Well, crap i might as well have my checks direct deposit to them then!!! What a load of crap. Just another way to take some more of our money.

Redbowties88

Sideways > Straight ;)
Aug 24, 2009
609 New Jersey
wow, sounds like something that would go down in my state.

ive had people tell me i was speeding while i was doing the speed limit or less just becuase the truck is loud and red:mad:

Noreaster

Jun 13, 2007
Cape Cod,MA
ive had people tell me i was speeding while i was doing the speed limit or less just becuase the truck is loud and red:mad:

Yep same deal with the truck being some what loud. Always happens on backroads, people come running out waving their arms & yelling. Even had one swinging a rake at me.

I guess Ohio must be thinking of more ways to bring in revenue. All I see it as is more stupid shit to burden the courts with, anybody with a right mind is going to contest the cops judgment. In Mass the cops used to give out estimated speeding tickets, majority of them got thrown out.

ripmf666

Sep 20, 2006
Wentzville Mo
Well hell I driver thru there ever 8 weeks and back and they were bad enough already on I70. Guess if I get pulled over I'm going to get my moneys worth and punch him in the mouth and get it over with.

dmaxfireman

'Can do' kind of guy
Apr 8, 2007
CT
Well hell I driver thru there ever 8 weeks and back and they were bad enough already on I70. Guess if I get pulled over I'm going to get my moneys worth and punch him in the mouth and get it over with.

:rofl::rofl::rofl: henry i think we were separated at birth! if i'm going down i'm gonna make it count :D

minisub

6-5/6-6;Whatever It Takes
Sep 11, 2006
Cleveland, OH
Funny, I thought that was always how speeding laws technically worked. It wasn't the radar speed that could be challenged as the ticket was based on the "expert" testimony of a trained PO. At least that's how I think it worked in NY when I lived there...

ripmf666

Sep 20, 2006
Wentzville Mo
:rofl::rofl::rofl: henry i think we were separated at birth! if i'm going down i'm gonna make it count :D

I get free legal service lol kinda they take it out of are check if we use it or not. My trouble is once I get pulled over they see I have a CDL and I get a higher fine they know I will pay it and not fight it in court. With a CDL you can not do PBJ's and if you fight it then loose the points show up in your state were if its out state and you pay it on time just shows speeding and not by how much over and no points. So it kinda suck having them sometimes.

DMAXchris

It’s only temporary!
Apr 28, 2009
Natrona Heights PA
Wow. That law blows. Perfect timing for my trip to Columbus this weekend. :rofl:

I get free legal service lol kinda they take it out of are check if we use it or not. My trouble is once I get pulled over they see I have a CDL and I get a higher fine they know I will pay it and not fight it in court. With a CDL you can not do PBJ's and if you fight it then loose the points show up in your state were if its out state and you pay it on time just shows speeding and not by how much over and no points. So it kinda suck having them sometimes.

Everytime I got pulled over and they saw my CDL they let me go. Except the time I was doing 78 in a 55 in a coal truck.

ripmf666

Sep 20, 2006
Wentzville Mo
Wow. That law blows. Perfect timing for my trip to Columbus this weekend. :rofl:

Everytime I got pulled over and they saw my CDL they let me go. Except the time I was doing 78 in a 55 in a coal truck.

lol when they get me its running 95 in a 50 :rofl:

dmaxfireman

'Can do' kind of guy
Apr 8, 2007
CT
yeah i have my cdl too.... i got stopped at 81 in a 55 the other night..... good thing it was on the slow side of the turn i was coming up on 110 before i slowed down for the curve lol

ripmf666

Sep 20, 2006
Wentzville Mo
yeah i have my cdl too.... i got stopped at 81 in a 55 the other night..... good thing it was on the slow side of the turn i was coming up on 110 before i slowed down for the curve lol

I just got done racing a 660 street bike I was past 120 lol well past that. Cop asked me what was going on with that bike I said what bike.:spit: cost me around 390 bucks then got pulled over 3 weeks later by the same cop which is a sgt he had the other cop pull me over I was in the same area 60 in a 50 and he said I was doing 72 I said F^&%& you YOu right my ticket and get it the hell over with that was 250 there. They only pulled me over because they knew I would pay it to save from getting points and they wanted to make more money begining of the month and then at the end of the same month.

Last edited:

Dalyfarms

Jan 12, 2010
Centrailia Mo
Henry, I know what You mean, those cops are some real A holes some times, their attitude really pisses me off. I get stopped for driving 75-80 on a flat strait black top with no traffic, while they can drive 80 headed for the coffee shop. glad to see Mo. represented like I think.:thumb:

ripmf666

Sep 20, 2006
Wentzville Mo
Henry, I know what You mean, those cops are some real A holes some times, their attitude really pisses me off. I get stopped for driving 75-80 on a flat strait black top with no traffic, while they can drive 80 headed for the coffee shop. glad to see Mo. represented like I think.:thumb:

That was back in Delaware before we moved out here. Hell I passed one last night coming back down 29 to 435 running 90 he never moved I thought he would of but did not. Came thru IL running 70 in a 65 towing a trailer and one flashed his yellow lights at me to slow down lol. Hell with it I hope the Ohio cars can run over 140 lol