Good electronic boost controller for lb7

mrmiano1989

Mar 13, 2016
Hey everyone in looking for a good boost controller for my 03 GMC Sierra 3500 dually 6.6l lb7 duramax / Allison trans basically factory everything but im trien to get some more power out of it ! Any suggestions on things I can do ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DMAXchris

It’s only temporary!
Apr 28, 2009
Natrona Heights PA
There are no "boost controllers" for a Duramax. Tuning it will be the best way to get more power. You can get a PPE boost valve and a different wastegate to increase psi, but it wont add much power without adding fuel with a tune.

mrmiano1989

Mar 13, 2016
Well I learned something new today ! I was assuming ther was a boost controller only from past experiences with boosted vehicles ! So what or how can I tune it ? Do I have to have it done by someone or can I get some kind of power programmer maybe ?

THEFERMANATOR

LEGALLY INSANE
Feb 16, 2009
ZEPHYRHILLS, FL
It's a basic wastegated turbo. You can get a ppeboost valve(not my personnal choice as it is not adjusteable, and several have had overboost situations with them), kennedy makes an adjusteable boost valve, or you can replace the actuator with an adjusteable one like bd's or banks. Adding boost without fuel will actually LOSE you power as all you are doing is adding unneccesary drive pressure.

mike diesel

I'm alright.
Sep 6, 2012
SLC, Utah
Well I learned something new today ! I was assuming ther was a boost controller only from past experiences with boosted vehicles ! So what or how can I tune it ? Do I have to have it done by someone or can I get some kind of power programmer maybe ?

You need to use google. There are about 50 different tuning options available with EFI live from a reputable tuner being #1.

DAVe3283

Heavy & Slow
Sep 3, 2009
Boise, ID, USA
Just be warned, weather you get a box programmer or an EFILive tune, you can only go about 50 HP over stock before you risk your transmission. Some people have lucked out and held more, but sooner or later, you will toast your transmission. So start setting aside money now, because a good transmission build is $4k-$5k.

mrmiano1989

Mar 13, 2016
I've come to find out from the original owner (my uncle) that the truck has a hypertech chip in it and has been set on its "90" hp setting for the last 8 years

DAVe3283

Heavy & Slow
Sep 3, 2009
Boise, ID, USA
Those older canned tuners (Hypertech, Edge, etc) were all setup to keep the stock transmission alive, and didn't make anywhere near the power they claim. And reading about it, it seems the old Hypertech had these levels:
Stage 1: 73HP & 120TQ
Stage 2: 94HP & 155TQ
Stage 3: 113HP & 185TQ
So yours is probably on level 2.

For comparison, [THREAD=42711]here is a mild EFILive I wrote.[/THREAD] It did 175 HP & 248TQ over stock, same dyno, same day, same operator, same settings. This will fry a stock transmission in short order (nuked mine). A max effort tune will make that one look super weak as well. I just tuned mine for drivability and no smoke. With 425 HP and 748 lb-ft at the rear wheels, your 13 year old truck will make more HP and the same torque at the wheels as the 2016 makes at the crank! Not bad, IMO.

So if you want a quick/cheap boost of power, just turn your Hypertech up to Level 3. If that doesn't do it for you, build your trans and get an EFILive tune. There are a ton of good vendors on this site that write EFI tunes from mild to wild. And if you buy the FlashScan V2 yourself, you can write your own tunes, or use any from the library here (such as mine).

mrmiano1989

Mar 13, 2016
With your 425hp & 748 lb-ft dos that give your stick tranny issues ?

mrmiano1989

Mar 13, 2016
I was looking at just gettin a better tranny came across this one that's reasonably priced ats lct1000 5 speed transmission and it's like 2900 bucks would that handle said tune of 425hp ?

BlkMax

Sep 1, 2008
Wasilla, AK
I would not use anything ATS. It was my first trans, and I was not happy with the results. Don't do it "reasonably priced" unless you have the additional $$$$ to pay to do it again correctly.

This is not a cheap hobby, spend good money the first time on quality parts installed by proven mechanics, or spend to do it again.

If someone says the Allison is "just another transmission" run!!! Find someone else.

mrmiano1989

Mar 13, 2016
Thank you ! I don't wanna be a cheap fu** about it so I'll take your advice thank god for this forum otherwise I'd be lost haha

Awenta

Sep 28, 2014
CT
Thank you ! I don't wanna be a cheap fu** about it so I'll take your advice thank god for this forum otherwise I'd be lost haha

Where are you? There might be a good builder close. If not you can have one shipped to you from Evan or Suncoast.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

DMAXchris

It’s only temporary!
Apr 28, 2009
Natrona Heights PA
Stay away from purple parts!
Go see Evan at Limitless Diesel. He's up near Pittsfield, MA. He's a vendor here and very good with the Allison.