Going to do the forbidden... Duramax in a dodge

joshuaedmister

Jun 28, 2019
I want to put a Duramax from an 07 1 ton truck into an 06 Dodge ram 2500 megacab, my hemi blew up so I was looking for something more reliable and I have the 1 ton which has a stake body and brake lines, fuel lines, and power steering all busted lines and it's a single cab old work truck, wanting to know if there was a kit or if I would have to fabricate everything, it would be a full blown swap with guages, computer, shift levers but keeping dodge trim, and I have a 3-d printer if I need to make some trim

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

weazel

Oct 5, 2011
Mason, TX
Probably going to have to fab everything up.
I was going to try this years ago, but the dodge I was going to use was a 2000. Couldn’t find any info, so scrapped the idea..

zakkb787

<that’s not me...
Sep 29, 2014
Granite Falls NC
6.7 cummins swap IMO would be a much better swap for that truck. If it’s an auto you already have the better auto trans and more room to grow with a 6.7. I’d say it’d be hard to get every5ing to play nicely especially electronics with a duramax swap.

joshuaedmister

Jun 28, 2019
I should also mention the donor truck has the 6 speed Allison auto, my dodge has the 5 speed auto, I do realize that a dodge to dodge conversion would be so make so much more sense but I already have the donor Chevy, I would keep the t-case and axles, try to disable abs/ traction control so I don't have that on all of the time and have more fun, I've really always wanted a nice truck with a Duramax but I like the way Dodge trucks look

Burn Down

Hotrodder
Sep 14, 2008
Boise Idaho
I say go for it, piss off the Cummins crowd:thumb: I read about a super duty on comp d that crapped the 6.0. Owner had a 800hp 12 valve installed which ran great but smoked like a... well a p pumped 12 valve:rofl: Anywho he paid a guy to I stall a 1000hp d-max in place of the 12 valve. Turned out pretty nice and they got all the ford gages to work with the gm stuff iirc. Here’s the thread, good info.
http://www.competitiondiesel.com/forums/showthread.php?t=159558

LCAC_Man

Aug 27, 2017
I should also mention the donor truck has the 6 speed Allison auto, my dodge has the 5 speed auto, I do realize that a dodge to dodge conversion would be so make so much more sense but I already have the donor Chevy, I would keep the t-case and axles, try to disable abs/ traction control so I don't have that on all of the time and have more fun, I've really always wanted a nice truck with a Duramax but I like the way Dodge trucks look

no reason to disable abs...both chevy and dodge use AAM for axles, the tone rings are the same. I have a Ram3500 front axle in my chevy express conversion and the abs works fine.
Integrating the chevy dash cassette/hvac into the dodge cab would be the toughest part...engine/trans mounts arent that difficult to fab. Getting the cooling stack from a CTD truck would be the easiest for cooling. It would be a huge project.

joshuaedmister

Jun 28, 2019
Lol yeah this is going to definitely be a Winter time project but definitely this year, I'm working 80 hour weeks 2 hrs from home right now, I'm just trying to gather as much information as possible, and the HVAC system is my biggest concern, but since I have an entire truck that I know runs and entire wiring harness has been replaced within the last 5 years (thanks Chipmunks) I could do an entire swap of Chevy electronic guts and 3-d print an interior if I had to even temporarily or send off my blueprints for new interior, but I think dodge has alot more room than Chevy imo behind the dash, that's awesome on the axles using same signals

zakkb787

<that’s not me...
Sep 29, 2014
Granite Falls NC
Why not standalone harnesses and make a custom auto meter gauge bezel? May honestly be easier. Keep all your factory controls in place.

weazel

Oct 5, 2011
Mason, TX
Why not standalone harnesses and make a custom auto meter gauge bezel? May honestly be easier. Keep all your factory controls in place.

This is what I was thinking as well. Then, to get most of the gauges talking to the engine, just use the cummins sensors in the duramax. May have to splice a connector or two, but shouldn’t be too hard to get it to give like oil pressure, coolant temp, voltage, maybe even tach signal..

joshuaedmister

Jun 28, 2019
This is what I was thinking as well. Then, to get most of the gauges talking to the engine, just use the cummins sensors in the duramax. May have to splice a connector or two, but shouldn’t be too hard to get it to give like oil pressure, coolant temp, voltage, maybe even tach signal..
I've thought about it but don't know where to start on researching it, good brands or anything, I looked at the Ford that was powerstroke to Cummins to finally Duramax, but have of the post looked like another language of lingo and things I've never messed with, I'm a good mechanic as far as figuring out problems and fixing it stock but as far as tinkering and tuning I'm still green here

M.A.M.

Jan 9, 2016
Ohio
One of the local diesel shops here swapped an LMM into an Expedition. Bezel around the gauge cluster was close enough to the Duramax cluster he just trimmed it and used the cluster out of the Chevy, couldn’t tell it’s not factory. Spliced a few sensors here and there, but everything works.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

zakkb787

<that’s not me...
Sep 29, 2014
Granite Falls NC
I think this would be the best option. There are many people running standalone harnesses. Rick with his chevelle for one that can maybe point you in the right direction.

LCAC_Man

Aug 27, 2017
You will lose a lot by going stand alone...and there is no chance you will use the CTD sensors on the duramax to get guages unless you plan to run two full sets of computers...all of that is just data going between the ecms and body computers..
I can tell you that just going from a 2000 chevy van to a 2006 LBZ duramax it was an absolute PITA to get all the early van body systems to work with the later truck BCM...and before you say you don't want to run a bcm you should think about how you are going to make things like tow/haul work and how to turn on your hvac system(that is all data driven)...it's a big project.