GMC vs Chevy

ridehard

Apr 25, 2015
Hey I'm still new to the forum and to diesels.

Why is it that when you tell people you have a GMC it's almost as if they want to correct you and tell you that you have a Chevy.

There is a GMC and a Chevy dealership for a reason. If I wanted a Chevy I would've went to the Chevy dealership. I understand they share a lot of the same parts but still.....

So has anyone else noticed this or is it just me?

TheBac

Why do I keep doing this?
Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
Wow. I never thought in a million years Id ever see a thread like this on this site.

Mike L.

Got Sheep?
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Aug 12, 2006
Fullerton CA
I owned a '69 GMC with the industrial V6 engine. They had television commercials showing how much water it flowed to cool the engine. That engine was the worse hunk of shit ever built. 6 mpg average fuel economy on the hyway. Didn't have enough balls to get out of its own way. Mine overheated on the way home from the dealer.:rolleyes:
I sold the PS a year later after the 2 blades of the fan flew off and went through the radiator and cut the brake lines on the freeway at 70 mph.
I bought a '71 Ford F250. It put that GMC to shame. Twice the power and mileage of that PS V6.

bmc1025

Jan 25, 2013
Big Bone, KY
No CHEVY is better!

Ridehard, they share more than a lot of the same parts, they are the same truck only cosmetic differences. For some years it's as easy as switching the grill, horn button and door emblems. Other years you will have to swap the hood and fenders forward but not the core support. Neither truck is made better, just marketed to different demographics.

ridehard

Apr 25, 2015
Thanks but to be clear I never asked which was better.

I asked, "why is it that when you tell people you have a GMC they almost want to correct you and tell you it's a Chevy."

But I never hear people tell Chevy owners they have a GMC so it's more to it than the two trucks being the same.

ridehard

Apr 25, 2015
I owned a '69 GMC with the industrial V6 engine. They had television commercials showing how much water it flowed to cool the engine. That engine was the worse hunk of shit ever built. 6 mpg average fuel economy on the hyway. Didn't have enough balls to get out of its own way. Mine overheated on the way home from the dealer.:rolleyes:

I sold the PS a year later after the 2 blades of the fan flew off and went through the radiator and cut the brake lines on the freeway at 70 mph.

I bought a '71 Ford F250. It put that GMC to shame. Twice the power and mileage of that PS V6.

Are you really basing your opinion by comparing a '69 to a '71? It's about to be 2016.

OregonDMAX

NOT IN OREGON, NO DURAMAX
Apr 28, 2013
Goodyear, AZ
I asked, "why is it that when you tell people you have a GMC they almost want to correct you and tell you it's a Chevy."

But I never hear people tell Chevy owners they have a GMC so it's more to it than the two trucks being the same.

Because Chevy is better.

bmc1025

Jan 25, 2013
Big Bone, KY

My GMC has 260,000 miles onr it, original injectors, transmission and rear end. My Chevy only has 215,000 but has a new transmission, new transfer case, rebuilt rear end, 2nd set of injectors and in the process of rebuilding the engine from driving it too long with blown head gaskets. The Chevy is still better because it has a fold up console..... My C3500Hd was a GMC but is now a Chevy CHEVY>GMC

Attachments

• IMAG0902.jpg
    IMAG0902.jpg
    200.1 KB · Views: 43
  • IMAG0905.jpg
    IMAG0905.jpg
    107.2 KB · Views: 42

Hot COCOAL

May the farce be with you
Jun 9, 2012
That just happened....

:woott:

On a side note, if anything I'd say in my lifetime I've heard more people refer to a Chevy as a GMC, and even make the cross reference "like toya to Lexus" and I put in my two cents and say that be Cadillac to both Chevy and GMC, but GM owns them all, and based off that I'd say Chevy is a GMC...BUT the big cavet is GM was established first...in 1908 with Buick, then bought another auto company out and formed GMC in 1909...Chevrolet was established in 1911, hence the 2011 100 year anniversary edition Corvette so, SORRY GUYS but based of the age courtesy theroy, Chevy is like GMC before GMC is like Chevy :rolleyes:

As to which is better or worse...I'd say Chevy probably lasts longer on a whole, because GMC's typically have more body cladding and "upscale" interiors/gadgets that fail or look cheaper over time, Chevy's typically stick with an overall more "classic" look/parts...but as far as chassis, they're the same damn parts, so its luck of the draw...but here is a perfect example of how GMC offer more than Chevy...and I could be wrong here...but show me a "mass produced" Silverado that rolled off the line with Quadrasteer?

Last edited:

DMAXchris

It’s only temporary!
Apr 28, 2009
Natrona Heights PA

Its because most people have an IQ less than or equal to ambient room temp.

Are you really basing your opinion by comparing a '69 to a '71? It's about to be 2016.
I thought Mikes post was extremely informative.

ridehard

Apr 25, 2015
Thanks for the responses. I'm starting to get the feel for what's going on. The Toyota Lexus reference was good.

I think because the GMC costs a little bit more than the Chevy due to the trim levels people want to make the GMC owners feel like that they don't have anything special it's just a Chevy with lipstick.

Funny thing is I had a Lexus before and I remember people saying "oh you have a Toyota". Lol

Last edited:

bmc1025

Jan 25, 2013
Big Bone, KY
Thanks for the responses. I'm starting to get the feel for what's going on. The Toyota Lexus reference was good.

I think because the GMC costs a little bit more than the Chevy due to the trim levels people want to make the GMC owners feel like that they don't have anything special it's just a Chevy with lipstick.

Funny thing is I had a Lexus before and I remember people saying "oh you have a Toyota". Lol

I think it's the other way around, anyone that buys a GMC because it is a more "premium" brand is blind.

If you buy the GMC because you like the way it looks vs the CHEVY then I can understand. I really like the looks of the Yukon vs the Tahoe for 2015. The previous model (07-14) the Tahoe looks much better from the front so that's what we bought.

In my previous posts I hope you caught the sarcasm, either way CHEVY is better!

OregonDMAX

NOT IN OREGON, NO DURAMAX
Apr 28, 2013
Goodyear, AZ
Until just a few years ago Chevy was always luxury compared to gmc. When the models first came out the Chevy was a weekend driver and the gmc was a work truck. The Chevy had tons of options available that the gmc never offered and the Chevy's generally looked better also. Not sure what gm has got going on now its all ass backwards.

On a side note I know alot of illeritate people who refer to a GMC as a GM. The same people who say Cummings :roflmao: