Getting a few drops of orange fluid from the truck...

MMLMM

Tunergeek
Mar 2, 2008
Reno, NV
www.dyncal.com
Its not coolant (well doesnt taste like it anyway), its at the very front. its bright orange, looks real clean. It is every once in awhile. And its only a few drops randomly after the truck sits over night. Its very oily.

Any ideas, I looked all over but cant find anything leaking.

TIM Z

Screwed by 0087s
Jan 17, 2009
Navarre, OH
Hmm,

Well there are only so many fluids in our trucks right?

So its either

Dexcool - orange
Engine Oil- black
Tranny Fluid- red
Brake Fluid- clear to brown
Front Diff Fluid- brown
Possibly a leaking front steering stabilizer? could be reddish or brown color
Bearing/ball joint greases. red- black- blue ???

But the only orange one i can think of is dexcool.

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!
Only thing I can think of is possibly power steering fluid. Could be an orangeish color if actual power steering fluid and ATF were mixed. Some people use ATF in their power steering.

MMLMM

Tunergeek
Mar 2, 2008
Reno, NV
www.dyncal.com
Nevermind, Figured it out.

Its DEX.

Poured some on the floor next to it, it matched, then it tasted the same.

Since when does coolant not taste very good :confused: I remember it being very very sweet?

Now to find where its leaking :(

TIM Z

Screwed by 0087s
Jan 17, 2009
Navarre, OH
Good one Josh, i knew i'd forget one.

Maybe out your overflow Mike ??? or possibly bad seam on your Rad, time for a pressure test.

Guess its not sweet anymore so dogs & cats dont drink it? Didnt know they changed the taste.

MMLMM

Tunergeek
Mar 2, 2008
Reno, NV
www.dyncal.com
Good one Josh, i knew i'd forget one.

Maybe out your overflow Mike ??? or possibly bad seam on your Rad, time for a pressure test.

Guess its not sweet anymore so dogs & cats dont drink it? Didnt know they changed the taste.

yea thanks I'll try too look around a little closer.

DEX was the first thing I thought when I saw it, then I dabbed a tasted and was like WTF? Thats not sweet lol.

dmaxvaz

wannabe puller
Nov 22, 2006
METRO DETROIT
Its from the weep hole on the bottom of the waterpump. I went through the same crap 2 weeks ago. The fan blows it around and its on the steering gearbox, the front axle, ect(makes it look like everything is leaking:(). Take a pen light and look up next to the bottom radiator hose on the waterpump, it probably is leaking from there

MMLMM

Tunergeek
Mar 2, 2008
Reno, NV
www.dyncal.com
Its from the weep hole on the bottom of the waterpump. I went through the same crap 2 weeks ago. The fan blows it around and its on the steering gearbox, the front axle, ect(makes it look like everything is leaking:(). Take a pen light and look up next to the bottom radiator hose on the waterpump, it probably is leaking from there

even on an LMM? This motor only has maybe 30-40k on it. I thought they didnt have water pump issues? Ill take a look though and see what I can find. Thanks.

LBZ

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jul 2, 2007
B.C.
Ya sounds like a waterpump. They usually leak when they are sitting overnight and cooled down when the seals start to go.

whitetrash21

put on da damn helmet day
Apr 29, 2008
Vegas
Ya sounds like a waterpump. They usually leak when they are sitting overnight and cooled down when the seals start to go.

x2. I ran mine all day, never got any fluids out of it. Park it for an hour and it would leave a puddle.

Smokin LB7

Jul 25, 2008
I have an LB7, but its probably the same deal. I cant remember if your motor is built or what you have in it, but my headgaskets are gone, and its pressurizing the cooling system. Mine is coming from where the water pump and coolant hose connect.

Might be something to check out.

LBZ

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jul 2, 2007
B.C.
A plugged rad cap maybe Mike? It should build pressure up to the max on the rad cap when it operates normally and then the pressure should bleed down as it cools off.

It could be that goofy little jumper hose off the water pump too.

motohed

dirty payback
Apr 15, 2008
escondido, ca
i hate mystery leaks. still cant find mine, although i have to admit i haven't put tons of effort into finding it. just the norm stuff like pressure check with and without glowplugs, pull lower intercooler boot, check oil. all of them were good. mine never shows any drops though, just dissapears from the res. tank:confused:

LBZ

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jul 2, 2007
B.C.
i hate mystery leaks. still cant find mine, although i have to admit i haven't put tons of effort into finding it. just the norm stuff like pressure check with and without glowplugs, pull lower intercooler boot, check oil. all of them were good. mine never shows any drops though, just dissapears from the res. tank:confused:

I also have the same issue. The GM boys replaced the coolant pipe as they said it was NFG but I can still smell anti-freeze burning and cannot for the life of me find the leak. Loses about 2 liters every 1000km. No drips on the ground!:confused: