fuel leaking around tranny???

saint

Feb 26, 2011
NW Connecticut
im new to diesel pick-ups and on gas engines fuel never came out of my trannys lol. maybe there is something above the tranny leaking that i can see but it sure as hell looks like fuel is pouring out from around my tranny. its an automatic. i just bought this truck and im freaking out! any help please?? :confused:

Mike L.

Got Sheep?
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Aug 12, 2006
Fullerton CA
im new to diesel pick-ups and on gas engines fuel never came out of my trannys lol. maybe there is something above the tranny leaking that i can see but it sure as hell looks like fuel is pouring out from around my tranny. its an automatic. i just bought this truck and im freaking out! any help please?? :confused:

You have 2 fuel lines secured at the trans on the driver side.

saint

Feb 26, 2011
NW Connecticut
im gona go stick my head back up in there again but i did see those lines before. fuel is comming down or out bolth sides of the bell housing

rgullett83

Oct 27, 2008
Illinois
I have also seen a few injection pumps leak, and the fuel run down the back of the engine, down the bellhousing

RichLMM

Sep 5, 2010
North Kingstown RI
had the same problem a little while ago took it to my buddies shop we looked everywhere couldn't find a leak before i towed it to his shop i had fuel on the bellhousing too and a good sized puddle in my driveway...

sweetdiesel

That's better
Aug 6, 2006
Thailand
I have also seen a few injection pumps leak, and the fuel run down the back of the engine, down the bellhousing

x2

If it is going down both sides of the bellhousing it could be the cp3 or fuel injector lines/ fuel rail

If you dont have a aftermarket lift pump then i doubt it would be the low pressure fuel lines.

and dont think it would be the fuel filter.

i would stick a rag in the valley and then start the truck...Be carfull to not stick your hand in there while the truck is running

rap rags around the inj lines too

dearthr

Mobile Chernobyl
Apr 12, 2010
Get a flashlight, and pull the resonator off the top of the motor. You will most likely see a puddle of fuel in the valley. Talk to the previous owner, and find out if they worked on any of the HP side of the fuel system. The LB7's have probably 20 or so unions that could be the potential culprit. If Injectors, or the Y bridge, or CP3 have been pulled recently, they would have had to loosen at least a couple of those unions.

Good luck

saint

Feb 26, 2011
NW Connecticut
ok well i re-inspected it and still cant find the source. Its deffinatly comming from somewhere above the tranny and running down all over the place. i cant see from where looking from either side of the tranny from under the truck or from under the hood. i cant see anything but this time i did notice a little spot where fuel is collecting looking down from up there. its the turbo and pipes blocking my view from above. whats are the likly sources from that area? just the ones stated above? am i correct assuming that im gona have to remove the turbo to gain acess to things back there? this leak isnt a little drip either,its bad! this is just my luck too. i just bought the truck on tuesday. its also my only vehicle being that my girl just bailed on my kids and i!:mad::mad::mad:

saint

Feb 26, 2011
NW Connecticut
missed your post dearthr. thanks for the input. guess il have to bring the truck in the garage tomorrow start taking things apart. yay

sweetdiesel

That's better
Aug 6, 2006
Thailand
Shouldn't have to take the turbo off

I would bet it's the relief valve or r.v lines or cp3

Is it hard to start?

If it's on the intake runners it is the injector lines

saint

Feb 26, 2011
NW Connecticut
Shouldn't have to take the turbo off

I would bet it's the relief valve or r.v lines or cp3

Is it hard to start?

If it's on the intake runners it is the injector lines

starts right up so far. stumbled a little bit at most. engine hot it starts pouring out right away. cold it takes a minute tops

MACKIN

Smell My Finger...
Aug 14, 2006
Connecticut
I say it's the fuel rail pressure sensor. Probably leaking the LB7's are known for it. You might get lucky and just be able to tighten it.

saint

Feb 26, 2011
NW Connecticut
thanks for all the imput guys. il be tearing into this thing tonight. il post back up with my findings. havent even had the truck a week and i guess i get a crash course in working on duramax engines already lol

ChevyTruckGuy78

Twins done Now for trans
Feb 7, 2010
Ct.
the best thing to do on the 01 is pull the cover off the top of the motor and get a good flashlight and have a friend start it and watch but have glasses on so u dont get sprayed sounds like everyone saying its comming down through the valley i would come up an try give u a hand just my wife is in and out of the hospital and drs she is about to pop anyday now all the guys and gals on this forum are always willing to help ur not that far that i might be able to run up for a short while one day during the week jsut kinda rough with her

saint

Feb 26, 2011
NW Connecticut
the best thing to do on the 01 is pull the cover off the top of the motor and get a good flashlight and have a friend start it and watch but have glasses on so u dont get sprayed sounds like everyone saying its comming down through the valley i would come up an try give u a hand just my wife is in and out of the hospital and drs she is about to pop anyday now all the guys and gals on this forum are always willing to help ur not that far that i might be able to run up for a short while one day during the week jsut kinda rough with her

its cool man. i appreciate just the gesture. what town you in anyways?