LMM: Front End Howling

RobsDmax

Mar 19, 2012
Arthur, Ontario
I am at wits end with my LMM. I have done all fluids, levels are perfect. Did both new shocks, new hubs on both sides under 1000 miles ago. I have a howling around 50/60 MPH. I tried to check the CVs, no play noted, have also checked both driveshafts and they seem tight. Is the best way to check a CV to pull the shaft and have it out of truck? It is a howling and does go away at a bit higher speed.

Looking for any tips. 08 LMM stock keys no lift etc. Front set a bit lower than rear.

Thanks.

2004LB7

Dec 15, 2010
Norcal
Howl or growl? Sound over the internet.:banghead:

Are you sure it is from the front and not the rear. 2WD or 4WD?

Can you feel any vibration?

WVRigrat05

Wound for sound
Jan 1, 2011
French Creek, West Virginia
Mine does it in 4x4, LLY did the same, didn't do it until leveled. LLY was loud like shit was gonna lock up, never hurt a thing.

See yours isn't leveled but it might just be high enough to put the cv's in a little bind.

RobsDmax

Mar 19, 2012
Arthur, Ontario
Yes in 2WD and 4WD, no light bar. Yes from the front as far as I can hear, vibration in passenger seat. CVS are flat now to no change in the noise. Yes I know its not easy to diagnose over the internet I am just asking for some tips. Can I pull a CV shaft and drive it around to see if the noise is gone? 2wd and 4wd wheel bearings are the same part #

WVRigrat05

Wound for sound
Jan 1, 2011
French Creek, West Virginia
Yes in 2WD and 4WD, no light bar. Yes from the front as far as I can hear, vibration in passenger seat. CVS are flat now to no change in the noise. Yes I know its not easy to diagnose over the internet I am just asking for some tips. Can I pull a CV shaft and drive it around to see if the noise is gone? 2wd and 4wd wheel bearings are the same part #

Have you checked to make sure your actuator on the front end isn't partially engaged? Pull it out and see.

clrussell

pro-procrastinator
Sep 23, 2013
Does the sound grow when turning one way or another at higher speeds? Sounds like typical wheel bearing to me.

Jack up each wheel by the control arm, hold the upper control arm and spin the tire. You'll feel if one is rough.

RobsDmax

Mar 19, 2012
Arthur, Ontario
Does the sound grow when turning one way or another at higher speeds? Sounds like typical wheel bearing to me.

Jack up each wheel by the control arm, hold the upper control arm and spin the tire. You'll feel if one is rough.

It sounds EXACTLY like wheel bearings, but they are both new in 1000 miles and there is no play at all or noise. Ive had it up in the air and checked and dont hear a damn thing..... this is where my confusion is lol.

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
You can not pull the CV and drive on it UNLESS the hubs are the newer style that do not require a CV to hold them together.

i suggest you look at the pass side outer axle bearing on the front diff and the actuator like Reger said. Hell, just get under the truck and try to turn the front drive shaft, if you cant physically turn it, its locked to the RF axle still even when you are in 2wd. throwing money at it never helps other than emptying your pocket book. CV axles also dont "howl". they either click, bind, or vibrate like hell. changing vehicle height would change the noise of it as well. you damn well could feel a bad one by pulling it out and moving it around.

RobsDmax

Mar 19, 2012
Arthur, Ontario
You can not pull the CV and drive on it UNLESS the hubs are the newer style that do not require a CV to hold them together.

i suggest you look at the pass side outer axle bearing on the front diff and the actuator like Reger said. Hell, just get under the truck and try to turn the front drive shaft, if you cant physically turn it, its locked to the RF axle still even when you are in 2wd. throwing money at it never helps other than emptying your pocket book. CV axles also dont "howl". they either click, bind, or vibrate like hell. changing vehicle height would change the noise of it as well. you damn well could feel a bad one by pulling it out and moving it around.

Ok I did order 2 CV shafts, although I can return them.... I can turn the driveshaft freely sitting in park on the ground.

Chevy1925

Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
Id start looking at the front axle bearing on the pass side and if not that, move to the front diff. this is all based off what you have told us. it could be a t-case issue too which can transfer noises towards the front and make you think its front end.

RobsDmax

Mar 19, 2012
Arthur, Ontario
Id start looking at the front axle bearing on the pass side and if not that, move to the front diff. this is all based off what you have told us. it could be a t-case issue too which can transfer noises towards the front and make you think its front end.

Ya I have a complete front diff I could swap. Will have to put it up on the hoist again. If I seperate a CV shaft and use just the yoke and hold each wheel bearing in I should be ok to drive it?

Thanks would eliminate the front diff being the issue?

Chevy1925

Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
Ya I have a complete front diff I could swap. Will have to put it up on the hoist again. If I seperate a CV shaft and use just the yoke and hold each wheel bearing in I should be ok to drive it?

Thanks would eliminate the front diff being the issue?

by yoke, do you mean the stub shaft (part that goes into the hub), then yes and yes.

Chevy1925

Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
Yes and yes. Lol on the same page. Thanks will maybe try that tonight. It sounds exactly like wheel bearings but I had it on the hoist in 4wd and it would not make any noise.

wouldnt rule them out. ive had a brand new timken die at 10k miles. it may be a bearing that is quite till there is weight on it. kinda like a gear set that has worn a bad gear pattern in the diff. it wont whine unless under power or coasting from road load, jackstands usually wont replicate it.